To think this is getting beyond a joke now? School closed

(27 Posts)
altinkum Mon 26-Nov-12 12:44:21

Ds's school has just text to say that children needed to be collected immediately, due to extreamly weather conditions!! Yes it's raning heavily tbh, but in total in August the school has been off for 8 weeks due to rain.

Just getting fed up with it and think the school needs to take action with there drainage system.

HousewifefromBethlehem Mon 26-Nov-12 12:45:43

Better safe than sorry though eh?

chocoluvva Mon 26-Nov-12 12:47:25

That's shocking.
The LEA has a duty to provide your DS with an education.

TroublesomeEx Mon 26-Nov-12 12:48:01

They might not have the money in the budget to do anything about it. It's a crappy situation, but closing the school isn't a decision they'll have taken lightly.

Euphemia Mon 26-Nov-12 12:48:28

8 weeks? Bloody hell!

Presumably they are taking action with the drainage? It's just not working!

LadyMargolotta Mon 26-Nov-12 12:48:42

The school has been closed for 8 weeks?

SandyClaws Mon 26-Nov-12 12:48:47

It isn't the school's fault that it's raining or that they probably have little or no money for drainage improvements. They may well be closing the school due to the risk of flooding (would you want your child to be there if that happened?) or to the concerns about the staff getting home safely.

I would be pleased that they were preempting a more serious situation tbh.

Euphemia Mon 26-Nov-12 12:49:52

The LEA has a duty to provide your DS with an education.

I'm sure the HT is well aware of that. hmm I imagine the children's safety is uppermost in his/her mind.

altinkum Mon 26-Nov-12 12:51:28

8 weeks in total, for me is a joke.

It happened in August and yet had to have 6 weeks off from school in total (not including the summer holidays) and then a week a month ago and then a 4 days and today since then.

I understand parents/teachers/ etc... Need to get home but its only our sons school that is closed, all other schools in the area haven't closed. Their draining system is not draining, hence the school flooding, I would surmise that he'll be off the rest of the week.

TheOriginalSteamingNit Mon 26-Nov-12 12:52:43

Sounds like an ongoing issue with the drains, then. Could you ask for more information and about their long term plans? Oh and write to Michael Gove....

altinkum Mon 26-Nov-12 12:53:27

No, they renew carpets, paint wall etc... And have sand bags at all exits of the doors.

They have the money but head is waiting to see if t improves with the sand bags!

Surely the LEA must find an alternative? That is outrageous.

If they aren't listening I would be emailing everyone - Michael Gove, the local press etc etc.

Narked Mon 26-Nov-12 13:01:26

8 weeks shock

I agree about getting some outside attention for this.

chocoluvva Mon 26-Nov-12 13:05:16

The LEA should be finding alternative temporary accommodation for them by now, I'd have thought, eg in other local schools.

RubberNeckerNicker Mon 26-Nov-12 13:12:28

How on earth is any working parent expected to cope with having kids off for an additional 8 weeks in a year? It's outrageous they haven't sorted something out!

How come the parents aren't up in arms?

Euphemia Mon 26-Nov-12 13:42:24

Rubber I was just wondering what I'd do if something like that happened at DD's school. I'd have to give up work!

jeee Mon 26-Nov-12 13:46:22

So is the school actually flooded? Because if it is, I don't see how the school can remain open, no matter how difficult it is for the parents.

Obviously something needs to be done about relocating the pupils to other schools or new buildings, as clearly this situation can't continue.

I went through the floods of 2007. Sandbags are pretty useless. Only proper flood barriers that can be erected in front of doors and airbricks in a matter of seconds are any use to prevent water flooding a property.

Hell, we have roads round here that flood in a small amount of rain and no one does anything about those. We just get on with it. But I imagine this is as much to do with ensuring children get home safely than anything else.

altinkum Mon 26-Nov-12 14:06:51

Inside the school isn't flooded but the green area is waterlogged and the school yard has lots of small puddles. Which I think by tonight will be also waterlogged. But the entrances to the school are fine for now anyway.

On collection dh said they have done it as a precaution, due to weather reports saying its will continue to rain, well yes, it will and it will do for 10 more days also according to the reports.

altinkum Mon 26-Nov-12 14:07:34

I've just found out that another school is closed in our area, however that's due to electric failure so that I can understand.

altinkum Mon 26-Nov-12 14:09:34

I'm lucky that my childminder can have them at the drop of a hat, however it costs me double in child care than I earn and TC won't help because its needs to be over a 4 week period and not a day there, here or there.

You could try seeing if the Local Authority would be interested in this.

And if they've been closed for so long, then surely they'll have saved money in their budget towards drainage repairs simply by not spending so much on stuff like supply teaching, resources, etc.

WilsonFrickett Mon 26-Nov-12 14:41:37

I would definitely be complaining to the council about this. There must be emergency funds for this sort of thing. What's the Parents' Council saying about it?

ENormaSnob Mon 26-Nov-12 14:42:08

They were off 8 weeks due to the weather? shock

That is farcical.

Mintyy Mon 26-Nov-12 14:44:43

I don't understand. Do you mean 8 whole weeks since the summer holidays?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now