Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Is this indirectly ageist? (in a job advert)

(70 Posts)
FuckingWonderwoman Sun 25-Nov-12 12:37:16

"This job is fully loaded and would suit someone with high energy levels."

No, 'course not.

But what I do regularly boil over about is the "if you're fortunate enough to look under 21" signs everywhere- wtaf??

To be honest, all job applications discriminate to some extent- people with 2.1s are more welcome than people with 3rds- by extension you could draw the conclusion that smarter people are more welcome- so what? It has to be there somewhere. It's true that people with MS would be unlikely to do some jobs as well as people without it. It's a debilitating illness- that includes things like some job opportunities, sadly.

FuckingWonderwoman Sun 25-Nov-12 13:00:54

I'm not the one being ageist here, Stuntgirl, I am the older person. <bangs head>

I have perfectly high energy levels, but the perception in my organisation is that anyone over the age of 45 is incapable of doing anything a bit, well, busy and demanding. I have seen this, I have evidence, and they are not taking any notice of what I am saying. I was just wondering whether this is yet another sign of indirect ageism.

Bride1 Sun 25-Nov-12 13:01:10

I entirely agree that you would be unlikely to get this job over about the age of 30-35. I have seen ageism in play with my husband, 59, fit and active and looks young. No matter how we (without lying or being dishonest) rearrange his CV so that it is less clear how old he is, they are able to work out from his experience that he is older than 45 and he does not get jobs or second interviews. Even for jobs that he is completely capable of doing and would be excellent at.

This has been going on for over 18 months and it makes my blood boil. I suspect that some of the people interviewing my husband are worried about taking on someone who has so much experience and might make them feel a bit threatened. ALthough that is very far from being his style: he is a quiet team-player.

squeakytoy Sun 25-Nov-12 13:04:08

I think if it is a busy office, with a lot of work, long hours, lots of commitment needed, then its fair to ask for someone who doesnt want to snooze at their desk after lunchtime..

However I do find job adverts written by agencies to be rather ridiculously worded most of the time..

FuckingWonderwoman Sun 25-Nov-12 13:06:36

Um, if you're being paid to do a full time job, then of course you should work full time. confused I've never worked with anyone who wanted a nap after lunch. Regardless of their age.

GrumpyCynicalBastard Sun 25-Nov-12 13:08:08

edam - Grumpy admits no such thing. I suggest you READ my post again.

andyrandy Sun 25-Nov-12 13:08:50

yes they're looking for a young male....

nocake Sun 25-Nov-12 13:09:09

That advert says to me... "we'll make you work all the hours in the day and even when you go home we'll be calling and emailing you on the Blackberry will give you as a perk. You'll be given loads of shit tasks and told if you work hard you'll get more money and responsibility... but that will never actually happen"

HecatePropylaea Sun 25-Nov-12 13:12:10

The advert says to me 'you'll be working with people who think it's appropriate to use the words 'fully loaded' in an advertisement and that that gives a professional image of the organisation. They're probably 12 years old and scoot about the office on their skateboards with their trousers halfway to their knees. Run like the wind.'

grin

forehead Sun 25-Nov-12 13:12:35

On the face of it , it does not appear to be ageist. Afterall, one can be sixty with high energy levels . However, if you are older, you would be more likely
to have less energy, therefore it could be seen as indirectly discriminating against older applicants.
I personally think that it could possibly be regarded as Disability Discrimination
eg someone who suffers from depression is unlikely to apply for a job that requires high energy levels.

But do we need to have a problem with that? If someone can't do the job, should we just get rid of the job altogether, so no one anywhere feels left out?

Ilovesunflowers Sun 25-Nov-12 13:36:14

Not at all ageist. My parents are in their 60's and would easily cope with a physical job. I'm 30 and would break at the first hurdle!

Why do people see ageism, sexism etc in everything they see and hear? FGS not everyone is discriminating.

The job is clearly physical but that doesn't mean an older person couldn't do it if they are physically fit and fast.

buggerama Sun 25-Nov-12 13:44:08

edam - I have MS and I thought it was an ok advert. It meant I wouldnt apply for the job because I dont have high energy levels. This advert does not offend me, it would stop me wasting my time by applying, which is a good thing

OutragedAtThePriceOfFreddos Sun 25-Nov-12 13:45:09

I think you are being over sensitive.

The use of the words 'fully loaded' is ridiculous and means nothing except the person who wrote the ad is a twat. But stating that the job would 'suit someone with high energy levels' is absolutely fine, if in fact the job would suit someone with high energy levels.

Employers should be allowed to employ the type of people they think will be best for the job they have on offer.

WilsonFrickett Sun 25-Nov-12 13:48:13

Fully loaded? Are they recruiting for a Nerf gun? confused
I don't even understand what that means. Do they mean busy?

LessMissAbs Sun 25-Nov-12 13:48:48

I don't think its indirectly discriminatory unless you could prove that the pool of high energy younger potential employees was smaller than the pool of high energy lower employees. Its unquantifiable, so no.

As for "fully loaded" - what on earth does that mean? Is it indirectly discriminatory against non-twats who lack the ability to twat-speak?

Isn't fully loaded a box meal at kfc?...
grin

WilsonFrickett Sun 25-Nov-12 16:35:29

ilove thank you! I knew I had heard the phrase in conjunction with something. Food. Fully loaded with all the trimmings. This job involves not only coleslaw, but beans too.

FuckingWonderwoman Sun 25-Nov-12 16:57:03

I can do coleslaw, but not with beans... grin

Thank you for your comments - v helpful. I do have high energy levels, but don't necessarily want to channel them all into this job, which I think I would be required to do...

GhostShip Sun 25-Nov-12 17:08:26

FFS if they need someone with high energy levels then they should be ble to say so

FuckingWonderwoman Sun 25-Nov-12 17:11:12

But I really don't see why high energy levels should be a requirement for an office job.

GhostShip Sun 25-Nov-12 17:14:59

You still need energy. One of my jobs is a desk job and it can get intense. Some couldn't do it.

To be fair, a lot of our senior managers run around like headless chickens so I suppose they would need quite high energy levels. grin

scarlettsmummy2 Sun 25-Nov-12 17:51:59

Makes me think of young, trendy office- make something media or design related, or high volume cold calling!

carabos Sun 25-Nov-12 18:30:08

As far as I understand it, it isn't illegal to discriminate against people on the grounds of age which is why so many companies do it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now