DD1 (11 YO) watched a 15 rated horror film at their Halloween party.

(66 Posts)
AgentZigzag Sun 25-Nov-12 01:13:49

She said after the party had ended how they'd all watched the film The Hole. It was a party for only those in her house and she was with other people her own age, but because the form she's in is 'vertically stacked' (is that what they call it?) there are children from her age up to school leaving age (which is a great way of doing it I reckon).

I thought she'd said this film was a 12 rated, but it's on Film four in half an hour and it's rated a 15!

I'm a bit of a horror fan but haven't seen it before. She said it really freaked them out and some (who I know are only 11/12) couldn't watch and were turning away, but obviously didn't want to not watch because everyone else was).

She's been watching 12s for a while now, but only ones I've watched and know are OK, she's seen one or two 15s, but again, only one's I know won't give her sleepless nights.

AIBU to wonder WTF the school was thinking taking the decision away from me? It's a bit late to do anything now, but if they think a 15's OK, why not an 18 next? Maybe fuck their heads with The Ring, or 28 Days Later? Why not?

Alisvolatpropiis Sun 25-Nov-12 03:44:56

Was it the film with Kiera Knightley or the adapto

Alisvolatpropiis Sun 25-Nov-12 03:45:30

*adaptation of the book?

Fairylea Sun 25-Nov-12 06:33:20

When the hole came out at the cinema it was a 12a. I know this because I took my then 9 year old to see it as she loves creepy films and I didn't think it would be that bad... she loved it!

I don't think it will do an 11 yr old any harm unless they are very sensitive to that sort of thing. .. it is definitely a kids film in my opinion. I'm surprised they've made it a 15 on DVD.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Fairylea Sun 25-Nov-12 06:44:27

Ahhh yes that is true. I'm thinking of the recent kids one. The thora birch one is very scary !

catstail Sun 25-Nov-12 08:45:18

Its up to you what your children watch at home, but it is completely unacceptable for a school to allow children to watch material rated above their age without parental consent.

Even if you watch the film and dont mind it, I think you should take the trouble to make a formal complaint to the school. It may well be okay for your child but another child this year or next year could be scarred for life by an over aged horror film (and their parents might not even know). I have seen MNers who have had this experience.

School have a duty of care to the children and allowing them to watch over aged material is an abuse of this.

frantic51 Sun 25-Nov-12 10:47:25

ThatBastardSanta "Thora Hird", that actually made me LOL, seriously! grin

frantic51 Sun 25-Nov-12 11:16:23

It has just been brought to my attention that, "LOLLING" is strictly against MN talk guidelines so please accept my unreserved apologies! blush

Wallison Sun 25-Nov-12 14:06:52

You weren't the first - we were talking about Thora Hird last night as well. I got it right the first time I said it, but not the second. blush

Mintyy Sun 25-Nov-12 14:59:02

Sorry to hijack but I know someone who allowed her son and his friends to watch 18 cert horror film at his 11th birthday. If my child had been at that party I would have been incandescent with rage.

SchmancyPants Sun 25-Nov-12 15:04:22

The hole is a 12 if it is the more recent one about a hole in the basement of a house. I'm sure it was that one they watched- I show it at school sometimes at the end of term to year 8 and above.

AgentZigzag Sun 25-Nov-12 20:55:47

DD said it was the 12 rated one with a hole rather than the bunker smile

Corruption of PFB has been averted...for now grin

But thanks for the chat/therapy (Walli) regardless.

The 15 rated one wasn't the best I've seen, but it did make me wonder what I'd do if I knew someone was capable of killing people and had threatened me. If you grassed them up you're risking them doing you in/have to go into witness protection (serious bummer), but if you don't they'd kill other people/get away with murder.

(and no I'm not weighing up the odds of someone knowing I'm a serial killer because nobody knows )

Wallison Tue 27-Nov-12 09:35:10

Phew, glad to hear it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now