to think Rotherham council have lost the plot over UKIP foster-carers?

(793 Posts)
londonone Sat 24-Nov-12 09:23:19

bbc

I really really hope there is more to this than is being reported, otherwise I am utterly speechless.

Cozy9 Sat 24-Nov-12 10:19:49

It is relevant. These people have had their children removed because of a thought crime.

MrsDeVere Sat 24-Nov-12 10:22:09

So cozy if a strictly observant Muslim family had children placed from a Christian background and they refused to temper their attitudes and practices in the best interests of the children.....would you think it was inappropriate to remove them?

Cozy I think you're overreacting. This couple have had non-British children removed from their care because their support of a borderline racist political party makes it an inappropriate placement. They will be able to foster other children, but this was the wrong placement for those particular children. Can't you see that?

Cozy9 Sat 24-Nov-12 10:24:58

There's nothing borderline racist about the UKIP. They are anti-immigration, not anti-immigrant.

MrsDeVere, I wouldn't think it was appropriate to place foster children with a strictly observant Muslim family in the first place. Ditto for any other religion.

Are you saying that people with religious beliefs shouldn't be allowed to foster? hmm

Cozy9 Sat 24-Nov-12 10:29:01

If their beliefs get in the way of them successfully raising the children, then no they shouldn't. They should be more concerned about whats happening in this world than the next.

MrsDeVere Sat 24-Nov-12 10:31:07

You are right.
They are not borderline.

Nicely sidestepped though.

Fact remains the couple would have been aware that they were crossing the line set out in their contracts.

If they suddenly took up smoking the same thing would happen.
Why would someone who is so anti multiculturalism want to foster immigrant children and how would they promote the culture they were so against?

How would they fulfil their contract

longfingernails Sat 24-Nov-12 10:33:57

Sorry, didn't see this one, just created a thread in Politics.

This is appalling, monstrous, abominable. It reeks of some bien-pensant Trotskyite social worker ignoring the fact that the children were being well brought up in a caring home, and instead foisting their unrealistic and frankly disgusting political prejudices on an innocent couple who are doing their best to help vulnerable children.

Cozy9 Sat 24-Nov-12 10:35:34

I don't think foster parents should be under any obligation to promote multiculturalism.

They should if they are fostering children from a different culture!

ShellyBoobs Sat 24-Nov-12 10:40:14

It's utterly ridiculous to think that removing these children is the right decision.

Anyone who's been to Rotherham will know what a bloody mess the place is in due to Labour fuckwittery.

This is typical of the local goverment's desire to cause controversy and court publicity.

A colleague of mine lives within the administrative area of Rotherham Council and his wife works for them in a managerial position (not related to fostering). He utterly despairs of them, based upon what his wife tells him of the internal goings on.

QuickLookBusy Sat 24-Nov-12 10:41:44

It seems to me that UkIP and the press have just hijacked this story in order to stir up a lot of shit.

The council took the correct decision. I wonder what the conversation would have gone like..

Foster Child "what do you think of immigration, foster parent?"

UKIP Foster Parent "I believe you shouldn't have been let into this country"

It was an emergency foster placement, the children were not going to be staying there permanently, the council has already been warned about failing to meet the cultural and ethnic needs of children in their care. They consulted lawyers to see what the best option was and were advised to move the children to foster carers who'd best meet their culture and ethnic needs. I really don't see the issue here.

Cozy9 Sat 24-Nov-12 10:43:15

What should foster parents be doing in regards to the childrens "culture"?

Shelley; This is typical of the local goverment's desire to cause controversy and court publicity.

Which is obviously why they've ordered an investigation into why this happend because they don't agree with the decision. hmm

DyeInTheEar Sat 24-Nov-12 10:44:59

From what I understand they've been accused of being racists because they are UKIP supporters. One does not follow the other - there is a huge assumption here about how they would have treated the children based on supporting UKIP.

Many people, including Ed Milliband, are now looking at the immigration policy of the previous Labour government and questioning whether it was a sensible thing for the UK population. It's what brought down Gordon Brown in the end when he accused Gillian Duffy of being a racist. Questioning immigration is not being racist. If, and it's a big if, this couple are found to have been unable to look after these children because of their political beliefs then Rotherham have got my support. However I fail to see how removing vulnerable children from a household where they were thriving because of their UKIP support can be right. We need more information though - it's essentially speculation at this stage. Am I right though in understanding the children are Eastern European?

The Telegraph blog

I'd post something from the Guardian but couldn't find anything.

Cozy9 Sat 24-Nov-12 10:46:51

They are EU migrants. There are plenty of British people in the country today that are the children and grandchildren of Italians or Polish. But you wouldn't know it unless they have a distinctive surname. Was it wrong that they assimilated into British society instead of retaining the culture of their ancestral land?

Pilgit Sat 24-Nov-12 10:48:15

Multiculturalism is what has made this country great. The uk has embraced new cultures for centuries, it is a national strength.

PessaryPam Sat 24-Nov-12 10:48:41

longfingernails exactly right. I feel so sorry for the children and the foster parents here. Apparently Rotherham were severely criticised for their handling of the Asian gangs grooming and pimping out vulnerable young girls so their response is to take away Asian children from UKIP foster carers! They seem to have a proven track record of making stupid decisions.

What should foster parents be doing in regards to the childrens "culture"?

Was that directed at me? If so, I'm not a qualified social worker - so I'm not going to sit here and discuss what foster carers ought to be doing to meet the needs of children from different cultures. What I am saying is that if the council felt the couple were not meeting those needs/could not meed those needs, I don't see the issue with removing them from their care.

PessaryPam Sat 24-Nov-12 10:50:50

Sorry not Asian, Eastern European.

Cozy9 Sat 24-Nov-12 10:51:02

"Multiculturalism is what has made this country great."
Rubbish.

ShellyBoobs Sat 24-Nov-12 10:58:00

Which is obviously why they've ordered an investigation into why this happend because they don't agree with the decision

Your sarcasm is misplaced.

The Labour party itself has ordered an investigation, NOT Rotherham Borough Council.

QuickLookBusy Sat 24-Nov-12 10:59:49

Cozy9

If the Dc had asked their foster parents "what do you think of me coming to this country? How would the foster parents have answered?

DyeInTheEar Sat 24-Nov-12 11:01:06

UKIP is not against immigration. They want a similar system to Australia.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now