Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

wibu to tell the chugger to f#$# off?

(113 Posts)
fallingsun Fri 23-Nov-12 18:16:33

I was walking down the high street, hurrying as it was cold and I wanted to get home. A chugger bounced in and started cooing at 11mo dd, saying 'oh soooo cute' etc etc. I ignored her, partly as she hadn't addressed me and partly because running the gauntlet of chuggers really annoys me. Anyway, I blatantly wasn't interested, but the chugger kept going, trying to get in dds face and my way. When the chugger was still there despite me practically running to escape ten paces layer, I turned to her and quietly told her to f#ck off.

I'm don't normally swear, especially not at someone, but she really irritated me, I especially didn't like the fake cooing of dd as an excuse to get my attention. Wibu?

I had no idea what I was signing up for, I was to taken in by the blatantly false flirting - including (to my shame) him asking if I was old enough to have a debit card as I looked so young blush bastard

I couldn't even cancel the damn thing either. I must remember to call them and make sure they won't be taking next years subscription out of the bank or something. I never even read the stupid things.

MadameCreeper Fri 23-Nov-12 23:17:44

dinosaurs, yes call them, write and email them, tell them you do not wish to subscribe next year and do it in good time. It doesn't sound like the type of organization who will make it clear when you can unsubscribe and are banking on a proportion never getting round to it. Good luck smile

TheFarSide Fri 23-Nov-12 23:18:20

OldBag why do you assume I have always had the luxury of being able to pick and choose my jobs? I have always stuck to certain principles, sometimes at some cost to my financial security.

I despise the "I was desperate" excuse. Or the "don't blame me, I'm only doing my job" brigade.

"OldBag why do you assume I have always had the luxury of being able to pick and choose my jobs?"

Being able to pick and choose jobs is a luxury. My son is lucky as he has us to fall back on but many of his friends are not so lucky and really do have to take any work they can find.

For example, my DS had a job interview for an sales assistant position in a furniture shop a couple of weeks ago. Sixty eight others also went for the job. It's just a little furniture shop in a sleepy Surrey town. He didn't have any experience of working in a shop and as experience is preferred he didn't get it. He also briefly worked on a commission only basis selling chip and pin machines - the company never paid him despite him making several sales. They fobbed him off and didn't complete the paper work that would have allowed him to collect his commission.

My son, like lots of others, is really struggling to find work and not going for a job because the general public might find him annoying isn't something he can afford to consider unfortunately.

joanbyers Sat 24-Nov-12 00:50:32

We don't get to many chuggers here, but I pretty much ignore everyone, however I've been abused by Big Issue sellers for doing this, so now say 'no thanks'.

CarrotCruncher Sat 24-Nov-12 01:12:43

Two wrongs don't make a right .No need to lower yourself by swearing at her

thecatsminion Sat 24-Nov-12 08:40:34

I was once doing voluntary work of my own on the high street (not bugging people, putting up notices for a local charity craft fair). A couple of chuggers would not leave me alone, and I couldn't get away without abandoning my own task. They tried to get me to sign up for £5 a week and I really, really couldn't afford that much - I had not long graduated and was scraping by on temp work. I offered to give them a fixed amount or sign up for less and they insisted I could afford a fiver. At one point they went away, had a chat and then came back telling me a whole load of stuff about corporate child abuse which turned out to be nonsense (I checked out what they were saying later) to pressure me into signing up. I refused but they made me feel really, really shitty about it.

I e-mailed the charity (a big NGO) to complain about them and didn't get a response. I would never sign up to one of their direct debits and I'm now quite wary of charities that use them.

OP, I maybe wouldn't have sworn, but they are a curse.

shuffleballchange Sat 24-Nov-12 08:53:58

I always find a loud but polite "No Thank-you" works, chuggers are annoying but as mentioned before, they are just youngsters trying to earn a few quid.

Pixieonthemoor Sat 24-Nov-12 08:54:51

I loathe chuggers but YABU to swear, especially as you had already gone past.

blueemerald Sat 24-Nov-12 12:14:28

I think it's important to remember there's a big difference between screaming fuck off at a smily 17 year old chugger who happens to look your way and firmly but calmly saying fuck off to one who has launched themselves at your baby and then followed you down the road.

I don't think fuck off should be your first reaction to a chugger but if one follows me down the road then that's what will happen.

I'd rather someone signed on for job seekers allowance etc than signed up to do this horrible job. It's not about taking a job that the general public finds annoying, it's a job that many find morally repugnant and ethically bankrupt. I also believe it's possibly quite a damaging job for young people. Being constantly rejected is not good for anyone.

"I'd rather someone signed on for job seekers allowance etc than signed up to do this horrible job. It's not about taking a job that the general public finds annoying, it's a job that many find morally repugnant and ethically bankrupt. I also believe it's possibly quite a damaging job for young people. Being constantly rejected is not good for anyone."

Oh you'd rather would you?

Well, if it's what YOU want then let's sack 'em all!

Have you got some naice jobs lined up for them?
Only you're right about being constantly rejected not being good for anyone - being rejected at many many interviews is what had them applying to be Chuggers in the first place. At least it's just company spiel that's being rejected when chugging. At interviews, if you're lucky enough to get an interview, it's personal.

minibmw2010 Sat 24-Nov-12 13:37:56

Had one approach me this week while I was out with 'let's dance' (???!!!) so I just said 'let's not' and swerved around him with my pram. WTF did he think I'd say to that ???? grin

Oh you big meanie. You should have danced the lambada with him there and then! grin

blueemerald Sat 24-Nov-12 17:43:59

Yes, of course I'd rather. I'm stating my opinion. I know it may be hard for some people but I do really think that chugging should be done away with. It is at best morally dubious. Anyone who can get a job chugging (it's not actually that easy unless you are 17, blonde and female I know several articulate, bright, sparky men and non blonde/curvy women who have been rejected) can get a job in a call centre (I have lots of friends who have done this post 6th form or university) and then at least people can just put the phone down/not answer rather than be harassed down the street.

I suspect any 'success' from chugging is down to targeting vulnerable people in society anyway. My brother has Asperger's and he was brow-beaten and guilt tripped into signing up with Bliss by a chugger who lost their job after we complained. My brother suffered nightmares about dying babies for weeks afterwards and threatened to run away from home when we cancelled the direct debit.

LineRunner Sat 24-Nov-12 17:54:45

I think one of reasons I hate chugging with a passion is being interrupted whilst just quietly walking, having my space invaded, and having inane drivel said to me in my face, over and over again, whilst just trying to go to a shop.

I know I have become dismissive to the chuggers. I don't like becoming rude, but I know of no other way of running the gauntlet. So I hold up my hand to keep them away from me, and say 'No', and ignore them.

It's the same with cold callers at my house. If you ignore my clear sign, why are you surprised if I am dismissive in my response.

I really am fed up of being pestered by other people's shitty jobs. And I definitely do blame their organisations for giving them crappy instructions in the first place.

"Anyone who can get a job chugging can get a job in a call centre."

Excellent. I'll pass on the details of these call centres with infinite vacancies to my son and his friends if you can let me know the details. In and around the South London/Surrey area please. Thanks in advance.

TheFarSide Sat 24-Nov-12 18:25:14

How old is your son OldBag? I heard from someone who works for the National Apprenticeship Service that there are a lot of vacancies on their website that they have trouble filling: www.apprenticeships.org.uk. The starting apprenticeship minimum wage is low but rises to at least minimum wage after the first year.

He's 19 TheFarSide.

Thanks for the info and link. He has looked into apprenticeships and applied for a couple within the media industry but they don't really cover his living expenses. He doesn't live at home so has rent of £80.00 pw to find plus food, travel and sundries. Minimum wage at his age is just £4.98 ph but in his first year of an apprenticeship it's just £2.65 ph.

I think he's going to take the part time job he's been offered as he can't bear being on JSA - Last weekend he went to Piccadilly Circus armed with copies of his CV and handed them out at all the theatres as someone told him they're regularly looking for ushers. Luckily one had a part time vacancy and he got the job. He now needs to quickly find another part time job to give him a full time wage.

Sleepyfergus Sat 24-Nov-12 19:02:13

YANBU. It's everywhere these days.
And if its not chuggers, it's people in my supermarket (Sainsburys) trying to get me to sign up to energy companies or their credit card. And then outside the supermarket, in the shopping centre, it's woman trying to thread my eyebrows at extorionate prices.

I hate it, and you always feel so bloody awful refusing to put money in buckets for charities. There was one outside my Boots the other day, shaking her bucket asking for donation s for 'children with cancer'. I had to walk past her twice pushing dd in her buggy. I ready give to a couple if charities us do stuff via work for others. But they don't know that.

We had chuggers at our door the other night. DH let them in, I was fuming (bath/pj time) and he signed up!! He'd mistakenly made a mistake with his account code by 1 digit, and they were back the next night to get it sorted. Right in the middle of our dinner at 8pm. The girl kept using my DHs first name, it just reminded me of a tacky sales persons job.

I guess it's tough, charities have to make money a d people are only doing their jobs, but nowhere is sacred anymore!

Itchywoolyjumper Sat 24-Nov-12 19:50:25

Me too Jambalaya, 2 of them followed me down the street when I was crying and a third one told me to fuck off when I didn't stop to talk to him (still crying). Now I just ask them if the charity has a website and tell them I'll donate through that. It's much cheaper than giving to the chuggers and they can't try and talk you into signing up with them without looking more interested in their comission than the charity.

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Sat 24-Nov-12 20:53:59

I had one on my doorstep once, piling on the charm and telling me my neighbours had signed up to his Unicef stuff. He was trying to engaged children and get invited inside. So I felt guilty and signed. When he'd gone I thought 'wtf?' Was furious. So I kept an eagle eye on the bank account online and as soon as Unicef appeared in my direct debit list I cancelled it before it could take any money. I just got a letter in the post saying sorry they were losing me. I wish they'd phoned, I'd have told them what I thought of being conned into being mugged on my own doorstep.

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Sat 24-Nov-12 20:55:29

Engage my children.

Bloody fat fingers.

fallingsun Sun 25-Nov-12 07:45:14

Oldbag - I live in Surrey too, I've seen lots of high street shops with signs hiring staff for Xmas - could be a good way for your ds to get some experience?m&s were definitely recruiting, as were several others smile

Thanks FallingSun. He has applied to M&S, Debenhams, House of Fraser, John Lewis, H&M, etc and all the supermarkets.

He has always applied for full time work but now he's talking about taking the part time job at the Novello he could reapply to all of them for part time work too and as you say, at this time of year lots of them are recruiting.

GrendelsMum Sun 25-Nov-12 12:34:20

Oldbag - well done to your son for doing that. Pleased it worked out for him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now