Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think the way to double (at least) the amt of people on the organ donar list is..

(39 Posts)
BuddyTheChristmasElf Thu 22-Nov-12 22:21:25

to offer the option of having the remains returned ready cremated - so no undertaker costs to the family
Like they do if you donate to medical science

I'm considering the medical science route so that my family don't have funeral costs, and if organ donation offered that too I'd choose that instead

AIBU to think that it would work well?

BuddyTheChristmasElf Fri 23-Nov-12 23:51:40

Interesting Kendodd, but suppose it wasn't compulsary, just an option? would it still put you off even if you could choose to have the remains back un-cremated, just because other people could get them back cremated?

Kendodd Fri 23-Nov-12 23:49:41

I think it would put me off.

If one of my DCs died or my DH and somebody at the hospital asked if I would donate their organs and the hospital would pay for cremation I would feel like I was selling their body parts.

Maybe that's just me though.

BuddyTheChristmasElf Fri 23-Nov-12 23:38:06

I said "rare" pelvic, not never!

my parent died after a period of multi organ failure, but there were still SOME tissues that could be used, even if not whole hearts/lungs etc, there are all sorts of tissues that can be donated

PelvicFloorClenchReminder Fri 23-Nov-12 23:36:03

Buddy by the time my mum died, nothing was donateable - that wasn't a myth. She spent her life on the organ donor list and was a passionate advocate of organ donation.

BuddyTheChristmasElf Fri 23-Nov-12 23:36:03

chipping I've already said that I am as on the fence about receiving as I am about giving

But if I did choose to receive it wouldn't bother me why the donor donated, so long as there was choice involved

ChippingInLovesAutumn Fri 23-Nov-12 23:31:21

I think that if you are prepared to accept a 'donation' then you should be prepared to be a donor (if you are able to be), basing your decision on a monetary return (cost of a cremation) is morally bankrupt.

Paying for body disposal would constitute a payment.

I'm also confused as to how an opt-out system would change anything at all, if the NOK still can refuse.

DameSaggarmakersbottomknocker Fri 23-Nov-12 20:25:18

So basically you would consider organ donation as a means of saving some cash rather than as a gift after death to save someone's life?

BuddyTheChristmasElf Fri 23-Nov-12 20:20:46

Sauvignon I wouldn't agree with an actual payment. Just a change in the way the remains are returned.

GhostShip Fri 23-Nov-12 19:21:27

Hope - they haven't got the right per say, because the person can opt out if they don't like it.

I do not believe that offering a financial incentive to traumatised relatives is morally acceptable.
Organ donation is the ultimate altruistic gift. May God bless all those who's selflessness has kept my family alive.

BuddyTheChristmasElf Fri 23-Nov-12 19:18:04

AKiss how do you think an opt out register would make any difference to the number of NOKs that do or don't consent?

an opt IN register is a way of saying to NOKs "look, it WAS something he/she thought about"
but with an opt OUT it doesn't say anything to the NOK about whether the deceased ever gave it a second thougth IYKWIM

An opt out system wouldn't give the state the right to your body. Consent from the next of kin still needs to be obtained even when someone is on the donor register and this wouldn't change with an opt out system.

I think opt out would be a good idea. A lot of people don't bother registering not because they are ideologically opposed but just because it isn't high on their to do list. The people who care enough to oppose donation would take the time to opt out.

BuddyTheChristmasElf Fri 23-Nov-12 19:13:20

Hope, I am considering the medical science route because potentially it could cover the costs of cremation for my family

If organ donation did the same I'd consider that instead

So if I understand this right, you would only be interested in donating your organs if your family got the rest of your body back cremated because this saves on funeral costs?

If I've got that right, then I really don't think that that is going to be a deal-breaker for very many people, and certainly nowhere near enough to double the number on the organ donar list.

But GhostShip do you think the state should have the right to your body?

GhostShip Fri 23-Nov-12 19:06:24

You can't have an opt-out system. The state does not have the right to your body

I'm aware of this, I'm just putting my idea out.

BuddyTheChristmasElf Fri 23-Nov-12 19:05:52

well it would make a difference to me smile
thought there might be others
especially as it works as an incentive for the medical science people!

You can't have an opt-out system. The state does not have the right to your body.

OP I think YABU and quite naive; I very much doubt this would make much difference at all.

BuddyTheChristmasElf Fri 23-Nov-12 18:55:49

all the register seems to do is indicate to the family that it was something the deceased considered a good idea at one point, it doesn't automatically mean the family say yes, so neither would an opt out register

BuddyTheChristmasElf Fri 23-Nov-12 18:54:02

but the register itself doesn't decide it, so on opt out register wouldn't make a difference really because it comes down to the consent of the family, and you don't have to be on the register for your family to be asked, most families are asked and they still say no. We were asked and my parent wasn't on the organ donation register

I can imagine a lot of families who are suddenly faced with unexpected financial hardship ON TOP of a bereavement might be swayed if some of that pressure and stress would be taken away by it

GhostShip Fri 23-Nov-12 18:49:15

I think we should have an 'opt out' system instead of people having to opt in.

I'm sure loads more wouldn't mind their organs being used, but are either too lazy or too busy to get their names down.

BuddyTheChristmasElf Fri 23-Nov-12 18:48:39

"Not the 18 year old motorbike riding accident victims that make good donors"

1- RTAs have a better survival rate now so there's less yong RTA deaths anyway
2- it is extrememly rare for someone to die who can't donate ANYTHING, that is a bit of a myth. All kinds of things can be donated, not just pump young hearts.

BuddyTheChristmasElf Fri 23-Nov-12 18:47:00

"But who would foot the bill for the cremations, the NHS? Think they could use the money better elsewhere to be honest."

the cost of cremation is far less than the cost of keeping someone in hospital on the waiting list!

"Would you accept an organ if you needed one?" - I honestly don't know, I am on the fence. There are lots of people on the fence about organ donation.

"people who worry about funeral costs are older people or sick people." confused um I'm neither, I'm a mum of young kids and I wouldn't want my DH getting into dept at a time like that if something unexpected happened, that is why I'm looking into the medical science route

I cannot imagine that even a small number of people, let alone double the current number, would donate based on this. I want to donate if possible, am registered and all that. However, young, healthy organs are needed and not to put to fine a point on it, people who worry about funeral costs are older people or sick people. Not the 18 year old motorbike riding accident victims that make good donors.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now