Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think if i want to lose more weight it doesn't mean i have an eating disorder?

(94 Posts)
legohouse Thu 22-Nov-12 18:37:55

I have lost 3 stone.

I did this over a year and 2 months so not too quickly imo.

I would now like to lose another 10 lbs but have been told by my son that i am anorexic,i am not,i just need to get some more weight off then i think i will be happy.

Ultimately it's your choice but at 40 I would imagine that losing this extra chunk of weight could carry the risk of making you look gaunt/unhealthy.

AdoraJingleBells Thu 22-Nov-12 19:08:59

I'm sure he does Lego, some people bandy words about without the slightest idea of what they are actually saying, just try not to worry about it.

Take caresmile

LeonieDeSainteVire Thu 22-Nov-12 19:22:10

I would definitely agree its about your frame and you as an individual. And obviously we can't judge that. So you need to speak honestly to a GP or similar and find out what the truth is. I'm also 5ft 2 and if I weighed 8st 6 I would be carrying about half a stone too much but I have a very small frame.

Rudolphstolemycarrots Thu 22-Nov-12 19:29:41

I've just checked on line and for 8 and a half stone - 5 foot 2, your BMI is 21.8. Your BMI is within the healthy range at the moment. If you lost 10lbs, your BMI would be 19.9 which is still in the healthy range. To be under weight you would need to be under 18.5 BMI - so less than 7 stones and 2 pounds.

carabos Thu 22-Nov-12 19:33:25

You are a healthy weight now. If you want to lose more, give it a go and see what happens. You might find it difficult to get off and keep off. You may get more of the "look" that you want by toning and sculpting your body.

If you don't tone, you might just end up scrawny. I walk a fine line between smokin' and scrawny myself, entirely depending on how much exercise I'm doing, and what that exercise is. I'm 49, 5ft 4 and 8 +half stone.

legohouse Thu 22-Nov-12 19:34:25

I have a small frame and feel this is ok,i do not feel i will look gaunt but will get maybe 5 more pounds off then re-assess.

Teabagtights Thu 22-Nov-12 19:39:56

I find it unbelievable that people are saying she should lose more weight if she wants to.

Under 8 stone and she will look scraggy round the neck, she would probably be a size 4. Thats skinny. Slim is the way to go not skinny with bones sticking out, so unattractive.

Anybody who thinks having visible ribs is attractive has some kind of eating disorder.

JessePinkman Thu 22-Nov-12 19:45:46

I have visible ribs. I eat like a horse and exercise a lot. The weight doesn't ever go on my ribs, always my wibbly wobbly bottom.

I think a lot of healthy animals have visible ribs.

I feel a bit sad now.

FredFredGeorge Thu 22-Nov-12 19:51:23

There's nothing wrong with visible ribs on a human - you can see mine too and I'm carrying more fat than necessary...

legohouse Thu 22-Nov-12 19:55:59

my ribs are visible,my partner comments on them but i have weight i don't want in other areas

I think you should go to the doc and get a bone density check before losing any more weight.

I think having a 19 bmi is different looking at 18 than it is at 40. I'm the same height and I look like a bag of bones approaching death at under 9 stone.

blameitonthecaffeine Thu 22-Nov-12 19:56:39

I'm 5ft 3 and hover around 8st plus or minus a couple of pounds either way - that doesn't put me in the underweight category. So yes, you could afford to lose 10 pounds if you wanted to.

But you don't need to and your motivations for doing so would affect whether or not I thought you were in danger of developing an eating disorder.

So you could easily be perfectly healthy and just wanting to look and feel your best. Or you could be becoming obessive. There's no way for us to know.

PetFox Thu 22-Nov-12 19:59:46

"Smaller than an 8 to 10 looks ridiculous on any frame" <<< what? That's pretty rude. I have a tiny frame and am a 6-8. You can see my ribs a bit too. I don't look ridiculous, or rough.

OP you've done really well. You don't need to lose the 10lbs (at all!) and you might really struggle to if it's not your natural weight. Don't let that make you unhappy though.

StuntGirl Thu 22-Nov-12 20:01:35

I think it is a little on the thin side - its definitely at the lower end of the bmi scale. But equally it could be an ok weight for you too, its hard to judge.

What was your original goal?
Why do you think you need to lose more?
Is it the number on the scales, your appearance, your dress size you're not happy with?
What are your eating habits like?
What kind of exercise do you do?

blackcoffee Thu 22-Nov-12 20:03:30

'i just need to get some more weight off then i think i will be happy.'
this is certainly the way anorexics think - only there is never an end point to it.
Can't you be happy with what you've achieved so far, op? maybe the exercise thing will help you feel comfortable with your body?

legohouse Thu 22-Nov-12 20:16:53

I do feel happy with what i have acheived,i was 11 stone 8 lbs,i was finding it hard work to walk etc...i looked big,uncomfortable and just unhealthy,i worked hard and also enjoyed getting the weight off,i have been at my new weight for a few months now and feel ready to get some more off,a new challenge if you like

helenovhull Thu 22-Nov-12 20:17:07

What do you intend to eat to reach this goal weight? If you would be cutting calories below 1200 or cutting out whole food groups don't do it. Tbh I think the fact you're posting indicates you are perhaps not motivated to lose more weight for health reasons. If you KNEW your son's concerns weren't valid you wouldn't be asking...

If I am wrong and you are eating well and have boundless energy then keep on doing what you're doing but don't get hung up on the number on the scales.

helenovhull Thu 22-Nov-12 20:18:53

You want a challenge? A fitness one then - run a 10k, swim 100 lengths, take up a new sport. Fixating on numbers when you are in the middle of the bmi range is not good for your mental health.

legohouse Thu 22-Nov-12 20:21:11

stuntgirl my original goal was to get into a healthy bmi,

i think i need to lose more because i'm not quite there yet

it is the number on the scales mostly if i'm honest

eating habits are limited,some would say i am boring!!

i do no structured excercise but walk everywhere...fast! (if that counts) i do not like excersise classes etc..but love walking alone or with my partner and school run etc...

IfNotNowThenWhen Thu 22-Nov-12 20:23:22

It doesn't matter what you weigh. What matters is how healthy you are. I am 5 6 and weigh 10 stone. I wear a size 10, sometimes 12, and look slim. I weigh more than people would ever think because I am quite muscly and solid, due to exercise. Fixating on weight is the wrong way to go imo.
Eat plenty of lean protein and veggies, and exercise, and you will FEEL good, which is much more important than how you look.

legohouse Thu 22-Nov-12 20:28:49

i do eat lean protein and veggies and although i don't do the gym i am pretty fit imo.

legohouse Thu 22-Nov-12 20:29:41

i don't look gaunt or older than my years either

choceyes Thu 22-Nov-12 20:30:33

Depends on your frame entirely. I am 5 '2 and 7st 7lbs and look just slim not at all skinny no visible ribs at all. I look much healthier than I was at 8st 5lbs which I was last year. The 10lbs I lost was the last of my baby weight. Have maintained th is weight for nearly 6 months without cutting down on eating so this is s healthy weight for me. A modern size 8 now. Used to be an 8 years ago too but an 8 was smaller 15 years ago when I weighed 7st nothing.

WorraLiberty Thu 22-Nov-12 20:37:51

OP you don't sound as though you need to lose more weight, you sound as though you need to exercise and tone up.

Could you not make that your 'challenge'?

As for Anybody who thinks having visible ribs is attractive has some kind of eating disorder. .... I've never heard such rubbish in my life.

Ribs are ribs - a normal part of the body and can quite easily be visible on a perfectly healthy body.

legohouse Thu 22-Nov-12 20:42:12

exactly worra,they say on dogs you should see their ribs,if you can't they are carrying too much weight

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now