Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To be incensed by Knorr Stock Pots?

(193 Posts)
NairyHipples Thu 22-Nov-12 18:26:53

The amount of packaging (plastic, foil and paper) is shocking. It costs very little to boil some bones up with some old carrots and onions to make your own stock, so why do people buy them?
www.knorr.co.uk/Products/Knorr-Stock-Pots.aspx

Woozley Thu 22-Nov-12 19:46:51

I get Knorr stock cubes more frequently though I have to say as they are better value for money.

NairyHipples Thu 22-Nov-12 19:47:55

MaMaPo Baking your own bread is seriously time-consuming. Making your own stock isn't - you just chuck in a saucepan and leave it

agedknees Thu 22-Nov-12 19:49:10

I don't think you can be incensed by a stock pot. You can probably be infused by one though.

giraffe213 Thu 22-Nov-12 19:51:08

They're expensive but tastier than normal stock cubes, for a treat (to put in Christmas day gravy, for me). I thought they were less salty than the cubes - I'm happy to use them diluted as instructed and I use way less salt in my cooking than most of my friends.

As for the packaging, I'm not sure how it could be improved given they are jelly. The plastic pot and cardboard box can both be recycled in my area, so it's just the little bit of foil on top that goes in the bin.

GlitKnit Thu 22-Nov-12 19:51:40

i dont HAVE BONES

i have a bloody job instead

BrianButterfield Thu 22-Nov-12 19:51:44

Knorr cubes are horribly salty too, IMO. The Kallo ones are the best.

goralka Thu 22-Nov-12 19:56:00

well my home-made chicken stock is delish.....so ner

Woozley Thu 22-Nov-12 19:57:03

I like a bit of salt. They are not salty at all in the context of one used in a meal for four + people but I will usually not use any more salt if I use a stock cube. It works out as 1g or less of salt per person so not bad at all for a main meal.

GlitKnit Thu 22-Nov-12 19:57:32

I LOVE SALT

dementedma Thu 22-Nov-12 19:57:47

I don't find them salty and they are relish in soup.they are by far the nicest stock "cubes". I prefer them to any other

Nancy66 Thu 22-Nov-12 19:58:55

I use them all the time.

piss easy and cubes never dissolve properly

SlightlySuperiorPeasant Thu 22-Nov-12 20:09:50

I like the Heinz low-salt baby stock cubes.

My home-made stock had nuclear yellow scum on it hmm

SoleSource Thu 22-Nov-12 20:17:49

I was soo incensed by my packet of Knorr stock pots, I called the police. They are currently in Broadmoor.

GlitKnit Thu 22-Nov-12 20:18:25

i think they need to go on the sex offenders register

SoleSource Thu 22-Nov-12 20:21:21

Lol Gilt. Did they give you orgasms?

NairyHipples Thu 22-Nov-12 20:30:29

Glitknit i LOVE them i havent time to boil bones you freak
I don't think I'm particularly freakish trying to provide a decent meal on a budget

giraffe213 Thu 22-Nov-12 20:36:52

How does the cost of a few stock cubes (or even stock pots from Broadmoor?) compare with the gas/electricity required to make the same amount of stock from scratch? Does anyone know?

MaMaPo Thu 22-Nov-12 20:36:52

OP - bread making - ur doing it wrong. I can do it faster than making stock, especially the clean up. Getting rid of chicken carcasses and soggy veggies - gross. Whip together some tasty bread - delicious. Homemade bread > homemade stock.

SoleSource Thu 22-Nov-12 20:37:18

I use Bisto granules

<dirty salt addict>

ivykaty44 Thu 22-Nov-12 20:40:44

How much bullion powder are you putting in with a pint of water? I use a teaspoon per pint and don't find that to salty - I never add salt to cooking out of habit.

BegoniaBampot Thu 22-Nov-12 20:41:09

I've tried my own stock about three times, never used it, it looks disgusting.

Someone give us their foolproof home made stock recipe. And none of this you just bung some bones, carrot and water in a pot crap.

NairyHipples Thu 22-Nov-12 20:42:55

MaMapo how do you make bread in under an hour?

BegoniaBampot Thu 22-Nov-12 20:45:05

Soda bread is fast and relatively easy.

Himalaya Thu 22-Nov-12 20:47:49

Stock pots seem like one of those innovations like toothbrushes that look like they are made by Nasa, liquid soap dispensers instead of bars and custard in a carton that seem to be designed to get us to pay 3x the price for the same product in a new format.

I can't quite get insensed about it, but I see your point in the packaging OP.

I do like having birds custard powder, oxo cubes, golden syrup and colemans mustard etc... In the cupboard - it looks like a museum display!

Boiling bones. No. Life's too short and marigold powder works fine.

MsElleTow Thu 22-Nov-12 20:54:52

I use them in my soups. I put one chicken one per litre of water in my Minestrone last night, bloody lovely it was.

I can't see how anyone is incensed by a stock cube! confused. Surely people get incensed by the fact that people can't afford to both heat their houses and eat ATM, or by the ridiculous price of petrol or the benefit cuts? Not by a fecking stock cube! hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now