An Unreasonable Christmas Buffet

(133 Posts)
BupcakesAndCunting Thu 22-Nov-12 12:51:09

This year I said I am not doing a turkey because I am sick of being disappointed by turkey and also am sick of all the pans/every utensil in the kitchen forming a 1/10 scale replica of K2 on the work surface every year.

DH and I said we were going to go to the local curryhouse for a curry instead. We invited MIL, my mother and my brother (who I do not like). Last week the curryhouse said they had 25 seats left, and to confirm when we knew what time for definite we would come in. When I rang back yesterday, they were full. No matter.

DH has suggested a buffet at lunchtime. I told my mum on the phone and I could hear her doing this face hmm AIBU about a christmas buffet?

BupcakesAndCunting Thu 22-Nov-12 13:10:35

LOL at Fellatio really wanting me to have turkey grin

FellatioNelson Thu 22-Nov-12 13:10:41

Get her one of those Birdseye Turkey Roast Dinners in a box, and sit her up at the table all by herself. That'll learn her.

Pinkforever Thu 22-Nov-12 13:11:09

Tbh I would be a bit disappointed by a buffet on xmas day-but as your mum hasnt offered to cook then she doesnt have a leg to stand on.

I hate turkey but dh instists we have it but this year he has finally caved and we are having goose...

BeatTheClock Thu 22-Nov-12 13:14:46

'Get her one of those Birdseye Turkey Roast Dinners in a box, and sit her up at the table all by herself. That'll learn her.'gringrin

Handsfulloffun Thu 22-Nov-12 13:14:54

grin at hamwiches I used to love them.
A Buffet is a grand idea, might even do it myself now.

LadyMaryChristmas Thu 22-Nov-12 13:16:37

Naice hamwiches? wink

BupcakesAndCunting Thu 22-Nov-12 13:17:55

Snort at "naice hamwiches"

fuzzpig Thu 22-Nov-12 13:18:34

We are doing a buffet for the four of us on Xmas day.

It will include pigs in blankets (because they ARE the law) but probably no turkey as we will be having that on Xmas eve at a friend's house. Considering trying that ham-cooked-in-coke thing.

It will also include my murderously calorific cheese dip.

strawberrie Thu 22-Nov-12 13:18:50

We did it last year for the first time as our dining room had become a nursery since the previous Christmas. It was brilliant, big turkey and ham platters and lots of yummy salads, rice and potato dishes. It made it easier for other family members to chip in and the best thing was that we could graze on it all day, yum yum.

Smellslikecatspee Thu 22-Nov-12 13:20:50

Why not just order the curry Christmas Eve?

Let it cool fully and then re-heat and have on Christmas Day

All you'll need to do fresh is rice. . .

Alibabaandthe40nappies Thu 22-Nov-12 13:21:30

Fellatio I knew you would be here grin

It wouldn't be my choice, because I love Christmas dinner.

BUT, it sounds like a delicious meal.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Thu 22-Nov-12 13:22:35

Smells is that not a bit depressing? A reheated curry for your Christmas dinner?

Going out to a curry house I can sort of see if you want a change from the norm, but reheated takeaway?? Bleugh.

FunnysInLaJardin Thu 22-Nov-12 13:24:00

YANBU, shame about the prawn ring, or is that an euphemism?

Sparklyblue Thu 22-Nov-12 13:24:50

Have you ever thought of cooking the turkey upside down?
I have done this for the last couple of years, the juices all run to the breast while cooking, it is so succulent and flippin' delicious smile
I love curry, but I couldn't go without my turkey on Christmas day grin
(A buffet does sound lovely though)

FunnysInLaJardin Thu 22-Nov-12 13:25:09

why can't you sit at the table to eat the buffet?

LadyMaryChristmas Thu 22-Nov-12 13:25:24

Bastards. I have some hock ham in the fridge, pickles in the cupboard but no white bread! angry I'm going to hide this thread, it's making me hungry. Soup just won't cut it.

ChaoticismyLife Thu 22-Nov-12 13:29:23

I haven't had a christmas dinner in years.

YANBU

Maryz Thu 22-Nov-12 13:30:43

Isn't it just a tad early to cancel Christmas?

I mean I know it's too early to think about Christmas ffs but to decide not to have it is just terrible.

Christmas involves turkey, 17 side dishes, at least three sinkfuls and two dishwasherfuls of crockery and random shite.

And feeling sick for an hour or so afterwards.

Otherwise it doesn't count.

You'll be using an artificial tree next shock

I rather like Iceland prawn rings

I quite like a roast turkey Christmas dinner .
Though your buffet sounds fine ,
However my favourite meal over Christmas is the boxing day leftovers ( cold meat , bubble and squeak , cold pigs in blankets , too much wine ...wine )
What are you going to have then ?

ToffeeCaramel Thu 22-Nov-12 13:32:59

It sounds like you do xmas lunch every year, in which case, you should do what you like. If you normally went to xmas turkey lunch at family members' homes and then wanted to go for a curry or do a buffet the one year it was your turn, i would slightly understand your mum's disappointment. What will you do for xmas tea if you are doing that too?

ethelb Thu 22-Nov-12 13:34:23

I don't see why you can't sit at the table for the buffet. And why not serve slices of ham rather than sandwiches?

BupcakesAndCunting Thu 22-Nov-12 13:39:50

Who sits at a table for a buffet? confused

Probably the same people who decant chips from the chipper onto a plate instead of eating them from the paper.

ethelb Thu 22-Nov-12 13:43:17

Sorry just missed that you do xmas every year.

I which case do what you want.

I am doing deep breaths ahead of Thanksgiving on Sunday as I told my Mum that I wasn't doing a Turkey and I also "could hear her doing this face hmm". She's getting a capon god damn it. (Despite me nodding along to her well its not Thanksgiving without Turkey, and those small ones are horrible. Of course it can only be an organic Norfolk Bronze.)

BupcakesAndCunting Thu 22-Nov-12 13:46:58

Turkey is just so much effort for so little reward.

IMO.

Don't hit me, Fellatio.

FunnysInLaJardin Thu 22-Nov-12 13:48:28

Bups just because you are common doesn't mean we all are. Of course chip shop chips go on a plate. <sigh>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now