Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Quiet carriage - please tell me this woman broke the rules, not me

(83 Posts)
Xiaoxiong Wed 21-Nov-12 21:14:54

Tonight I am raging - I rushed to Waterloo to catch my train home as DS is ill, so I was on the phone telling DH when I would be back and to give him dioralyte until I could get back to breastfeed. As I stepped into the carriage before it had left the station, I was literally saying "ok, so I'll get into [end of line] in an hour, and home by 8.30pm - right, see you, bye, bye now".

As I was saying "see you, bye", literally less than 3 seconds after I stepped onto the train, a woman stood up from two rows away, walked a few steps towards me pointing at the little blue sign on the window and said loudly and officiously, "EXCUSE ME. THIS IS A QUIET CARRIAGE."

I was so shock I said to DH "sorry one sec, someone is saying something to me" and looked at her. She said again slowly and loudly "QUIET. CARRIAGE." and jabbed her finger towards the window, then sat down with a huge huff.

Yes I was on the phone as I stepped into the sacred silence of the quiet carriage. But the train was not yet moving and I was clearly ringing off.

AIBU or has she has broken the Commuting Rules? DH says I am in the wrong as I was on the phone in the quiet carriage but he doesn't commute so he doesn't know the Rules.

tigerdriverII Mexico Wed 21-Nov-12 22:36:12

Ooh yes and what about the bloke ( wearing a reasonable suit) on the train last night who burped his way through an hours journey and picked his fucking teeth and slimed the residue down his trousers. He was reasonably hot if you looked at him but viler than vile. And I love that iPad has trapapers (what?) instead of trousers

Dancergirl Wed 21-Nov-12 22:38:32

I've never heard if this quiet carriage before! Is ther also a loud/party carriage?

What about a swapping carriage?

tigerdriverII Mexico Wed 21-Nov-12 23:12:33

Whoops. So good I said it twice.

maddening Wed 21-Nov-12 23:35:46

Shit I've been breaking the rules for years!

As was the weird Italian man who told me his penis was hard and where did I live and could we go for dinner!

Cahooots Thu 22-Nov-12 01:04:14

I think YABU (maybe)
Mmm. I have to say I do find people who use mobiles in the quiet carriages quite irritating but if you were just finishing the call her response does seem OTT unless you were talking really loudly. I would have finished the call before going into the carriage personally.

The bossy lady was quick to have got up and walked a few steps within the three seconds that you had borded the train. hmm. My guess is that you were louder and longer on the phone than you thought. and that the bossy lady had had a bad day

I regularly broke The Rules I'm afraid, also departing from Waterloo, I used to name and shame aisle blockers very loudly...
But still, YANBU, and quite frankly if peace and quiet are that important to the grumpy Git then she should have done the right thing and simply raised her eyebrows at you pointedly.

The Rules only apply in civilised commuting circumstances tho, when the last three trains have been cancelled and snow is forecast it's utterly pointless trying to avoid eye contact while you are pressed up in full body contact with at least two complete strangers, and at least two of whom are still trying to read their fucking broadsheet newspaper! Sorry. Ahem. Am so very very glad my commuting days are over...

ChippingInLovesAutumn Thu 22-Nov-12 01:16:03

Ah you see - this is where the ability to raise one eyebrow comes into its own grin You look at the mad cow, then at the sign, then back to the mad cow - with one raised eyebrow. It works.

How is DS now?

Cahooots Thu 22-Nov-12 01:17:07

Yes to naming and shaming aisle blockers. I am happy to ask very loudly for people to move down the carriage.

I disagree with the summary of the only words allowed to be spoken while commuting.

It is also de rigueur when someone gets onto the quiet coach still yelling down their phone for everyone else to mutter 'twat!' viciously. There should be a gentle auditory wave of profanity washing over you.

(But yeah, she was a bit mad to be so quick off the mark, despite you being wrong like a wrong wrong wrong thing.)

anewyear Thu 22-Nov-12 09:09:05

What on earth is a quiet carriage? <puzzled expression>
Never heard of them..confused

It's the one where everyone is giving you the pissed off looks, anew. grin

Pootles2010 Thu 22-Nov-12 09:12:17

I love that people only pay attention to this on commuter trains/trains to London. I've been in quiet coaches with drunk squaddies, hen nights, couples argueing... no one pays blind bit of notice.

Xiaoxiong Thu 22-Nov-12 09:43:32

Ah yes LRD you can mutter anything you like under your breath. If this woman had limited herself to stewing in silence and murmuring under her breath "it's the sodding quiet carriage you twat" that would have been fine grin But actual human interaction is verboten.

Another one for the annals of commuting - two men got in a fistfight this morning trying to get through the doors at Putney. It was brilliant - they then both managed to crush into the carriage and had to stand (in silence!) crushed up against each other avoiding eye contact.

grin

Brilliant!

valiumredhead Thu 22-Nov-12 09:49:41

Pat it no more thought - it would be no different than if you were with a friend chatting quietly. People do get their knickers in a twist about nothing.

ChestnutsRoastingonaWitchesTit Thu 22-Nov-12 09:54:24

Did she bellow it at you (I hope so, that's too funny)

You should have just done a SSSHHHHHH!! at her and an aggressive pointy finger at the blue sign grin

difficultpickle Thu 22-Nov-12 09:57:03

How is she supposed to know you were finishing your call? Clearly you weren't if you said to your dh that someone was talking to you. Why do your personal circumstances trump yours? I assume she had chosen to sit in the quiet carriage because she wanted some quiet, not people like you chatting on your mobile phone. If the train wasn't about to depart I don't understand why you couldn't have finished your conversation on the platform and then boarded the train.

As someone who has been commuting for 28 years shock I think YABU.

difficultpickle Thu 22-Nov-12 09:57:29

trump hers no yours.

Bluestocking Thu 22-Nov-12 10:04:50

tigerdriverII, I can't believe you thought it was OK to take an urgent work call in the quiet coach! Avoiding other people's urgent work calls is exactly why I sit in the quiet coach, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. You could always go to another coach to take the urgent call.

Woozley Thu 22-Nov-12 10:07:52

Surely it's meant to be electronic sounds such as ringing, music, bleeps and and LOUD conversation which is banned anyway, not conversation at normal volume whether face to face or into a photo.

Woozley Thu 22-Nov-12 10:09:11

Phone I meant - sorry, Firefox deleted my entire post 5 times when I tried to correct it so I didn't bother correcting the lasr word!

Woozley Thu 22-Nov-12 10:12:11

God yes, Putney. I always felt like I'd been in a fight when I arrived at work, though always managed to avoid an actual fight. Saw fairly regular punch ups or slanging matches though.

Xiaoxiong Thu 22-Nov-12 10:12:25

bisjo I was saying "see you, bye, bye now" as she started speaking to me and I thought she was telling me the train had been cancelled which is why I then said to DH someone was talking to me. Also <small pity party> it was pouring on the platform and I had no umbrella.

I guess it was the lack of grace period that annoyed me at the time. Not annoyed any more though smile

And yes Chestnuts she did bellow, really loudly and slowly while emphasising with finger jabs at the sign grin

Woozley Thu 22-Nov-12 10:15:35

I would shout back, to the cries of "Move down!"

"You are welcome to move past me, but there is nothing to hold onto down there so I'm staying where I am."

nipersvest Thu 22-Nov-12 10:17:19

what happens if someone sneezes?? is there a 'someone's made a loud noise' lever they pull which stops the train?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now