Work

(78 Posts)
HtotheS Wed 21-Nov-12 20:19:04

I've been back at work since July I'm a teacher. I've been mentally unwell diagnosed with bi polar.

I've only just got back into the swing of things when we have a local authority review.

I did okay but some areas of my teaching needs improving.

I've been given 3 quite hefty targets that I'm getting observed on in the next 6 weeks.

I really feel under pressure about it. I know everyone needs targets but I feel I need more time to get back into work and get my head around how to be the best teacher I can be.

AIBU in thinking I shouldn't have these targets? The headteacher by the way thinks I an easily meet the targets.

I just feel the pressure and feel anxiety over it

Catsdontcare Thu 22-Nov-12 11:14:03

I think given your medical condition you may have to accept you are no longer in the right job. I don't think you can reasonably expect schools to accept and accommodate a teacher who can't meet those targets and tbh they are targets I would expect any teacher to be able to meet.

HtotheS Thu 22-Nov-12 11:15:34

I'm sure a lot of teachers have bi polar and an function well doing the job

HtotheS Thu 22-Nov-12 11:15:45

Can

Catsdontcare Thu 22-Nov-12 11:29:26

Yes maybe they can but you don't seem to be? It's not about whether you've got bi polar it's about the extent to which is affecting you and your ability to do your job. It's also about how the job will affect your mental health. It may be in your best interest to not teach. You have to look after your health and your interests your HT has to look after the interests of your pupils and I'm afraid their needs trump yours.

In honesty do you think those three targets are unrealistic expectations of any teacher?

HtotheS Thu 22-Nov-12 11:35:47

No I don't think they're unrealistic but it just feels like I've just got over an inspection and now there's loads more to do and stress out about

Sirzy Thu 22-Nov-12 11:35:51

Sorry if the idea of having to differentiate work is so hard then at the moment your not a good teacher. You may be when we'll but you have to look at now.

ClippedPhoenix Thu 22-Nov-12 11:36:03

I personally would hate to be observed. I can still remember my driving test and it makes me shudder, how blood stressful. I'm also a fast typist but sit someone down next to me that's "watching" and I'm crap. I'm forever telling my boss to stop looking over my shoulder. So I can totally understand your foreboding.

Unfortunately though honey all this observing shite goes with the job these days so maybe it's no longer the job for you?

Don't beat yourself up about it though, just accept that it's not something want to deal with and find something more suitable.

Good luck honey and get better soon.

HtotheS Thu 22-Nov-12 11:38:05

Thank you. I don't know what else I could do? Teaching is the only thing I thought I knew how to do

Heroine Thu 22-Nov-12 11:46:45

Well, a lot of hard-assed 'work is work' people on here shooting their mouths off, and not very sympathetically.

There are a few issues here:

1. OP wants and cares enough to 'be the best teacher she can be'
2. She has a recognised disability
3. The observations are on three targets
4. The targets are ill-defined and have very subjective evaluations 'to know how to' is not the same as 'identifying each childs individual learning needs and recording which teaching methods work best'
5. The observations are happening all at once
6. This is stressing the OP and making her concerned about her disability.

It is perfectly reasonable to consider observations being
1. Spread out
2. Broken down into measurable and actionable chunks before assessment
as reasonable adjustments to disability.

In fact, I expect that what is really behind this is that the way these criteria are defined is causing the stress AND these criteria are probably already being met but the OP doesn't feel that they are.

Far better to talk to the OP about how these criteria could already being met than all this 'I expect teachers to TEACH' BS that so many are spouting here.

Heroine Thu 22-Nov-12 11:50:41

I'm astonished at Stillsquiffy's advice - straight out of the 'hire and fire' HR handbook, not out of the 'quality management' HR handbook.

And without even a mention of the obligation on employers for reasonable adjustment tsk tsk, you would have failed my course.

WorraLiberty Thu 22-Nov-12 11:51:02

Heroine I take it from your post you know nothing of the OP's posting history?

And if the criteria was already being met, she wouldn't have been given the targets.

Sirzy Thu 22-Nov-12 11:51:18

People have had that type of conversation with her many a time. This isn't the first thread where she has basically said she can't cope with teaching. Tbh I can only have so much sympathy for people who ask for advice and then ignore it.

Fakebook Thu 22-Nov-12 12:04:11

I don't understand why people always end up picking on this particular OP. She has obvious mental health issues which are not exactly helped by her husband, who seems to have weird sleeping problems of his own and sounds like a horrible person to live with.

If you're going to come on here and start venting your frustrations about her repetitiveness, then maybe think before posting and perhaps hide the thread? There is a real person who is mentally unwell on the other end.

Heroine Thu 22-Nov-12 12:09:06

Well again I am shocked. You think that there is a catch-all solution for this OP because you are annoyed at her from previous posts - welcome to the MN playground. Shame on you.

Sirzy Thu 22-Nov-12 12:12:42

Of course there isn't a catch all solution, but when someone has been posting very regulary and every post basically suggests she isn't well enough to teach, she has said her class aren't making progress and he has been set targets which are very simple for most teachers then surely questions have to whether a) she is well enough to teach and b) whether her teaching at the moment is the best thing for her class?

WorraLiberty Thu 22-Nov-12 12:15:57

I'll take that as a no then Heroine....

Jossysgiants Thu 22-Nov-12 12:24:18

Irrespective of the back story, those targets will be very difficult to measure. How is Op going to demonstrate she has met them?

Hi OP - As someone who was also diagnosed with Bipolar this year and had 7 months of work I have a lot of sympathy for you. Recoving from a serious bout of mental illness can take a lot more than 5 months, so well done for being back in work and for all of the positives that the inspector had for you.

I get a similar response when I am given more work / targets. Its a bit like a faulty panic response. I think that when you sit down and look at them and go through the positive advice you've been given you KNOW you can do this. You just need to get over the initial panic.

FGS stop posting in AIBU though. While there are obviously some knowledgable people here, there are also too many strong opinions backed up with too little knowledge. Try MH instead.

whois Thu 22-Nov-12 13:49:07

Oh no, is cheakypickle back? Sounds v familiar!

Agree with WorraLiberty the OP needs to sort her shit out and decide if being at work as a teacher is the best thing. You can't make allowances for sub-par performance where children's futures are at stake.

Look upon the targets as a positive thing and try and achieve them. You can't be too bad a teacher or you'd have a lot more serious performance targets!

Heroine Thu 22-Nov-12 13:52:57

Nope. In terms of helping the OP there is no benefit in trying to add to her stress by trying to push her out of the teaching profession yourself because of the concerns she expresses to you. She could be a fantastic teacher who everyone is in awe of, who has a persistent view that she is adding no value to her class because of her MH/confidence issue. If you act to batter down her confidence who does it serve?

Not OP, not the children, not the school. This is only serves your ego. IN fact you are so determined that your earlier advice to leave the profession is right that everything you hear from the OP since is forced desperately into that little box.

There are signals here of conscientiousness, concern for the children, concern for her how abilities as a teacher and she is seeking ways to manage her next assessment rounds with a minimum of drama in the school.

My view (and others I note) is that the 'targets' (more accurately competencies expected) are very poorly designed and almost guaranteed to cause stress in someone this vigilant and concerned so the OP is not unreasonable in seeking support.

Stop being such bitches, honestly

WorraLiberty Thu 22-Nov-12 13:56:23

Oh get off your high horse Heroine

The OP doesn't even like teaching anymore and has said only a few weeks ago she hates her job.

No-one is pushing her out of anything.

But equally not everyone is willing to pussy foot around someone who repeatedly starts threads like this on a regular basis and never takes anyone's advice.

Sirzy Thu 22-Nov-12 13:58:42

Exactly worra. I can only assume heroine is basing her posts on this thread alone.

I have every sympathy for the OP but she has posted about this on AIBU many times and the softly softly approach doesn't seem to be working.

Heroine Thu 22-Nov-12 14:58:45

Perhaps she isn't looking for 'advice' but sympathy.

Sorry this is uncomfortable for you. No-one likes to have a mirror held up to their nastiness.

whois Thu 22-Nov-12 14:59:49

I have every sympathy for the OP but she has posted about this on AIBU many times and the softly softly approach doesn't seem to be working.

OP is a serial attention seeking AIBU poster who takes no notice of any comments or advice given. I don't understand why she posts here. If its help and advice then go to the MH board. Or to RL.

If I kept posting the same near identicalt post about not liking my work or my DP I would hope to be given a short shift. This isn't a support board, it's an 'am I being unreasonable' board and the OP is, in my opinion, being U.

Worra has it right.

Or alternatively the OP is someone who is struggling and posts so she has somewhere to vent. I agree though that AIBU is the wrong place to do it as too many people see the topic as a place where its OK to be a permatwat.

If you think she's just attention seeking, then you're giving her what she wants at the same time as criticising her for doing it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now