to be jealous that Americans get Thanksgiving AND Christmas?

(297 Posts)
FeuDeRussie Wed 21-Nov-12 16:26:35

Thanksgiving sounds really good. Like Christmas, but no presents to worry about (AFAIK?), just FOOD!

Are there any Americans around who can tell me what Thanksgiving is like? Do you prefer it to Christmas?

threesocksmorgan Wed 21-Nov-12 16:27:15

but don't they only do one day at christmas?
(going by films here)

FeuDeRussie Wed 21-Nov-12 16:28:04

I don't know... No one likes Boxing Day really though do they? It's just depressing.

legoballoon Wed 21-Nov-12 16:28:39

Yeh, but they also get George Bush, Mitt Romney and Hersheys chocolate. Swings and roundabouts.

Yeah but their Christmas is rubbish. Everything's open on Christmas afternoon. They don't fill themselves with dates and those jelly fruit things and satsumas and watch Love Actually 47 times. wink

VestaCurry Wed 21-Nov-12 16:29:51

Americans generally get much less annual leave than here in the UK though (I think), so we're better off in that sense (unless self employed).

threesocksmorgan Wed 21-Nov-12 16:30:04

see I love it.....perhaps cos dd does not sleep christmas eve(17 now) so I am always tired on christmas day, boxing day is so relaxing

zinaida Wed 21-Nov-12 16:30:08

Speak for yourself, I LOVE boxing day!

ObiWan Wed 21-Nov-12 16:30:15

Americans really know how to do Holidays.

And movies, and food, and gas stations.

Still, we have Boxing Day, with sales, and indigestion, and in-laws, and stuff.

honeytea Wed 21-Nov-12 16:30:50

They seem to do Halloween better than us too.

FeuDeRussie Wed 21-Nov-12 16:31:15

Maybe we'll adopt Thanksgiving like we've adopted their Halloween traditions?? I'm going to try and start that smile

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 21-Nov-12 16:32:22

Yes America has far more public holidays than we do. However, most jobs come with far lower holiday entitlement because of this. So no I would rather be able to choose when I take my holiday and not have to take it on the last Thursday in November and then have to go back to work on the Friday.
Add to that shocking maternity leave of 6 weeks (second only IMO to Australia where certain professions are exempt from having maternity leave!!!!) then no I am much happier here.

FeuDeRussie Wed 21-Nov-12 16:32:26

honeytea I agree, I love Halloween smile I want to go out in the streets like in the films and for everyone to be dressed up as ghosts and witches.

CombustionEngine Wed 21-Nov-12 16:32:29

I always found it took the shine off the one day of Christmas then back to work and the sports obsession was tedious!

But I'm a Brit and so had no emotional connection to it.

LadyBeagle Wed 21-Nov-12 16:33:01

So if they have turkey for Thanksgiving, what to they have for Christmas dinner?
And do they have mincemeat pies?

FeuDeRussie Wed 21-Nov-12 16:34:22

And if I was American I would probably never go abroad, just spend my very minimal holidays exploring the amazing landscape.

But yes, many other reasons to prefer the UK really.

psychomum5 Wed 21-Nov-12 16:36:22

I love boxing day. I would not trade boxing day for thanksgiving.

MariaMandarin Wed 21-Nov-12 16:36:36

It means that Christmas decorations don't go up in the shops until December which is a good thing. Until then they have kind of Autumny displays. I don't know if that means you have to all of your Christmas shopping in December though because that would be too much.

Tee2072 Wed 21-Nov-12 16:37:01

We used to alternate our Christmas dinner; one year baked stuffed shrimp, the next a standing rib roast.

I never ate or even saw a mince pie until I moved to the UK.

No, there are not presents at Thanksgiving/

Frontpaw Wed 21-Nov-12 16:37:33

But we get bonfire night and that's lots better than a turkey.

MariaMandarin Wed 21-Nov-12 16:37:54

Yeah just drive for 30 hours straight and get to Florida or something. Imagine how much stuff you could take if you didn't need to get on a plane?

FeuDeRussie Wed 21-Nov-12 16:38:17

By "many other reasons" I just mean their healthcare, lack of holidays and Republicans. And their TV is fecking awful. But they do have New York, Thanksgiving, wolves, bears and the wilds of Canada on the doorstep...and sunshine in summer.

Right, I'm moving.

FeuDeRussie Wed 21-Nov-12 16:39:19

I was about to type 'what, they don't get bonfire night???'

<Idiot>

My Mum's american so I get both grin

Although I'm working tomorrow night so this year I will just get re-heated food sad

peeriebear Wed 21-Nov-12 16:39:29

I'm pleased we don't have a Thanksgiving type winter celebration as well as Christmas... Come Christmas day I'd be all "but we did this last month!" I just like having the one big day smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now