Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to be sad that we are not going to get women bishops?

(147 Posts)
grovel Tue 20-Nov-12 18:20:16

Bugger

HullyEastergully Tue 20-Nov-12 18:22:06

WANKERS

mrskeithrichards Tue 20-Nov-12 18:22:38

Ridiculous

grovel Tue 20-Nov-12 18:23:35

The bishops voted for it. The clergy voted for it. The lay people (inc many women) voted against it.

HullyEastergully Tue 20-Nov-12 18:24:04

WANKERS

LivvyPsMum Tue 20-Nov-12 18:24:52

Who gives a stuff?!

LurcioLovesFrankie Tue 20-Nov-12 18:25:20

WANKERS X2

That and homophobia is why I no longer go to the CofE (shame, it's what I was baptised into, I love the liturgy and the music - but on an institutional level, they hate women and gay people).

abitcoldupnorth Tue 20-Nov-12 18:25:28

ffs

HullyEastergully Tue 20-Nov-12 18:25:38

ME and milllions of others.

Do you live in a cave?

Alliwantisaroomsomewhere Tue 20-Nov-12 18:26:48

Religion is all about men: keeping men in power and in control. Religion subjugates women by relegating them to secondary positions in the religion and in society.

Why the surprise at this?

amothersplaceisinthewrong Tue 20-Nov-12 18:26:52

So all the power stays with the men, bloody typical.

rogersmellyonthetelly Tue 20-Nov-12 18:27:05

Ffs! What planet? Which century? I'm c of e and I'm fecking ashamed

Alliwantisaroomsomewhere Tue 20-Nov-12 18:28:03

amothersplaceisinthewrong, precisely. Power and wealth and control.

FreckledLeopard Tue 20-Nov-12 18:28:24

Can someone explain the role of the lay people - who are they? Where do they come from? Why do they get to swing the vote so radically?

ImAlpharius Tue 20-Nov-12 18:28:30

WTF I can't believe this, I feel deeply disapointed.

BegoniaBampot Tue 20-Nov-12 18:44:32

Really? I'm not religious but recognise it's place and it's role for many people and their communities. Why won't they let women be bishops, what are they so afraid of?

Mutt Tue 20-Nov-12 18:48:32

How does the church get around this country's sexism laws?

Being a bishop is a job, yes?

It's a big fat fucking disgrace.

CurrentBun Tue 20-Nov-12 18:50:35

Totally agree with you Mutt

Its a fucking disgrace.

And CofE heads this country. This is just not good enough. I have never really been a fan of the whole secular thing but I'm beginning to think that's the way to go now if it's the only way we can get equality.

Yama Tue 20-Nov-12 18:51:09

Yeah, I was wondering about the law too Mutt.

Mind you, non-Catholics aren't promoted in Catholic schools (in Scotland) and I've always thought that this equated to discrimination.

It is a disgrace. I am so steaming angry and upset.

OwlLady Tue 20-Nov-12 18:55:12

it's completely ludicrous, it shouldn't even be debated. The chruch is an employer no??? why do they not come under the same rules as any other company?

It's just bollocks. It's not scriptural, and even if it were, the C of E isn't biblically literal.

This is just misogyny.

suburbophobe Tue 20-Nov-12 19:00:20

What do you expect?

Machismo is alive and kicking!!

The reason I have turned off religion.

I prefer the Goddess....

YY LRD <froths>

IvanaHumpalotCountDracula Tue 20-Nov-12 19:03:45

Traditional Anglican/CoE church attendance is at an all time low.

The General Synod is not representative of the wider CoE community (church going or not).

Stick 'religion' in front of anything, no matter how unpleasant, and you think you can justify anything.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now