Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think this isn't a cafe and hence now both children are in bed in tears!!

(92 Posts)
altinkum Tue 20-Nov-12 17:43:50

Friday, I made wedges, chicken drumsticks with garlic and herbs, corn on the cobs and salad. They didn't like that, althrought the previous week it was the best meal ever.

Sat, was feta, spinach and tomatoe tart, with roasted medetarrian veg, hated that and refused, even tho both love the meal.

Sunday, Sunday dinner, stuffed chicken, carrot and swede mash, roasties, cabbage, broccoli, and Yorkies. They ate the puds and that was it.

Yesterday I made tuna pasta bake with rosemary bread and they ate the dry pasta.

Today I made scots broth with homemade tiger bread and they have refused to eat it.

Normally it would make them toast or cereal etc... But today I've simply had enough of cooking meals I know they would like, and then refusing them.

They won't eat "yellow" food, nor and prefer home made food, like roasted chicken, mixed rice etc... But they then complain that its what they always have.

They are 6 and 3, AIBU not to be a cafe no more (its just a phrase I think as normally they eat everything I make) and leave them in bed until they eat the tea I've provided which incidentally they love.

Iggly Tue 20-Nov-12 19:25:37

Seems a bit fancy for kids IMO. Don't make such an effort and you won't be so disappointed.

I bet you they're tired at the end of the day a d just want easy plain meals. I'm like this and I'm 31! If DH makes anything elaborate when I'm tired after a day at work, I get annoyed as just want chips. Odd but true.

recall Tue 20-Nov-12 19:30:01

I have found that the plainer the food the better for my three, and have stopped cooking more elaborate stuff. They just like meat + veg, or bread and butter and a piece of cheese, rather than a cheese sandwich. I gave up cooking them delicious meals, because they just don't get it. My oldest who is 5, is becoming more adventurous and will have curries and casseroles. That might be because she has school dinners, and sees what her peers eat.

Mine would refuse scotch broth, I'm certain, and the feta tarts too, although would probably eat the spinach and feta if served up plainly on a plate.

Also, i find that if one acts suspiciously about a new dish, it is infectious and none of them will eat it. They are ages 2,3 and 5. Sometimes i leave the food on the table and ignore them, and when they think I'm not watching will try it.

To me though, your food sounds scrummy !! I think when they are a bit older they will love it.

ontheedgeofwhatever Tue 20-Nov-12 19:31:09

YANBU - please come and cook for me for a week or two. I might even pay you. Don't put yourself down though you sound like a good quality resturant rather than a cafe

RarelyUnreasonable Tue 20-Nov-12 19:31:25

DD is nearly 2 and has just entered a fussy phase. She will not eat anything warm or anything in the highchair. I let her leave the table and she usually eats her food an hour later, stone cold in front of beebies blush. Today she refused to eat anything, but I know she had a hearty nursery lunch and a chocolate polar bear so felt less bad about her going to bed hungry. I need to get her back to the table and highchair, but am 39weeks pg and too tired.

altinkum Tue 20-Nov-12 19:32:31

They helped me make the broth, ds2, grated the carrots and ds1, helped cut the leeks and tatties, and they also this morning put it all in the slow cooker.

For lunch they get sandwiches, toast and beans, omelette (ds1, not ds2 as he can't digest the protein in eggs) picnic lunch, soup etc...

They love all the food I make, ds2 fab meal is pasta of any sort, ds1 is stew, casseroles, broth, meat dishes etc... They both like the meals.

The tart is simply just feta cheese, spinach, and tomatoes roasted in balsamic vinagar ( for the adults not the kids) with garlic and mixed herb olive oil (normly make my own short crust pastry, but the others day was just shop brought.

Your all welcome, but please bring table settings and wine grin

PickledFanjoCat Tue 20-Nov-12 19:33:23

I will move in and eat all the food!

Yanbu.

PictureThis Tue 20-Nov-12 19:36:46

I could have written your post altinkum. DD would quite happily live off Fish Fingers or Ravioli (tinned) every day if she could. Needless to say she isn't given the option of having it every day and if she doesn't like what I've made there's no alternative - take it or leave it. So, YANBU.

littlemissnormal Tue 20-Nov-12 19:36:49

YANBU, this is a frequent occurrence in my house too.

I've found that not letting them have more than a single piece of fruit as an after school snack and giving no pudding or alternative often helps encourage them.

I think with mine though that they are sooo lazy they can't be arsed to sit at the table and eat it!

PessimisticMissPiggy Tue 20-Nov-12 19:37:50

Too fancy? Kids only like plain food?hmm

altinkum Tue 20-Nov-12 19:42:39

See if unthought they wouldn't eat it/don't like it, I'd understand.

For instance, ds2 loves veg chunky pasta sauce, (courgette, tomatoes, abergine, peppers, and mushrooms and onion) ds1 dosen't like this so I blend it all and to him its just tom sauce.

So I do cater to their needs, both boys fell asleep, so I'm expecting ravounous children in the morning.

I think I did go about it the wrong way, as I don't like/want to make a issue out of food, but its just so frustrating, not to mention a waste.

DC don't like simple food, I wish they did, I blame the annabel karmel baby books.

racingheart Tue 20-Nov-12 19:46:23

YANBU and it doesn't hurt them to go to bed a little peckish just once, or to understand that you are not their servant.

It's possible they're ailing for something as it seems they won't eat anything all week. Have you checked their temperatures or their throats for redness?

Otherwise, stick to your guns. They have us run ragged with cafe orders if we're not careful.

PickledFanjoCat Tue 20-Nov-12 19:47:30

The more effort I put in to cooking for ds the quicker he throws it on the floor < toddler>

He has broken me.

Inaflap Tue 20-Nov-12 19:47:36

I'm moving in! It sounds yummy. Mine went through a fussy stage and as a result our meals are a bit boring. Reading your I've just realised how boring. The eldest will now eat most things but is very thin so I have to keep him stoked up and the youngest is quite picky but has to eat due to being diabetic and everything is carb counted. Hence we can't do 'eat it or leave it' so consequently things are a bit samey. He'd never ear feta and spinach and i have never got either of them to eat a recognisable tomato.

strictlovingmum Tue 20-Nov-12 19:52:44

As someone already mentioned up the thread, OP you just wait few more years till your DC's about to/ enter adolescence stage, they will eat you out of your home, they will appreciate you and everything on that table made by youwink
It is very satisfying to watch them eat, with age their palette sharpens, eating habits change, they usually hoover the food and politely ask
"Is there more?smile

altinkum Tue 20-Nov-12 19:53:42

When ds2 was a baby he couldn't eat anything containing citrus acid, lactose or any dairy produce, he lived off, rice flakes and root veg, for the first year and a half until he started food trials and now be can pretty much eat most foods, ds1 also has a high metabolism, (treated with food controlled diabeties) so hence why his food is sometimes low carb or high carb depending on his suger level. He's also tiny age 6 but half the size f his school peers, but ds2 is only 3 and towers over him, however he is a big 3 (total opposite kids)

I don't think they are poorly, its only at meal times they act up.

3b1g Tue 20-Nov-12 19:58:07

Today: pizza for 6 children, what could possibly go wrong? I managed to drop a pizza in the lap of a visiting child (cheesy side down of course) then while I was trying to clear it up, DD dropped some melted cheese on her hand and burnt it. DS1 went to help her but slipped and dropped a second pizza on her bare foot. I put her hand under cold water and told her to stay there while I rescued the remaining pizzas from the oven - and managed to burn my arm. It was like a scene from a terrible slapstick comedy.

messtins Tue 20-Nov-12 19:59:27

YANBU. I make one meal and if they don't eat the majority of it there is no pudding and nothing else. I wouldn't purposefully include a lot of stuff they don't like, but I don't pander to tastes too much either. DS1 doesn't like mushrooms and will pick them out, that's not a big deal if he doesn't fuss about it. DS2 has days where he decides he's not eating entirely inoffensive ingredients like rice, and he goes to bed hungry.

JustFabulous Tue 20-Nov-12 19:59:49

Iggly - why should it be too fancy for kids? They are small people, not a different species why wouldn't they enjoy what the OP has made. And as for being annoyed because your dh has made you something more elaborate than chips, I would tell you to bog off and refuse to cook for you anymore.

RainbowsFriend Tue 20-Nov-12 20:29:13

I would say it's not about the food but about control. Small children often feel powerless and if mealtimes are emotive (ie you have put a lot of effort in or really want them to eat this time etc) then that is where they will try to exercise some control. Because they can.

porridgewithalmondmilk Tue 20-Nov-12 20:34:52

I think the meals sound delicious smile but I'm a bit confused by someone on page 1 who said the children are being ungrateful - I wouldn't have thought so, surely? Just fussy faffy annoying kids! grin

FunnysInLaJardin Tue 20-Nov-12 20:40:11

YANBU and this is one of the reasons that we only eat with the DC on a Sunday. It's too stressful otherwise.

Iggly Tue 20-Nov-12 21:24:18

Well that's just me JustFabulous. I'll eat it but DH knows better. Just as he doesn't like to talk over dinner after a stressful day, I like a nice meal which is more comforting. He understands - I don't have a hissy fit about it. I explain afterwards.

When you're tired, you want something comforting not something fancy. My 3 year old is a demon when hungry and tired. He just wants meatballs, his favourite. He's more amenable to something a bit different when he's less tired.

JustFabulous Wed 21-Nov-12 11:27:42

I still think you sound precious. Your "DH knows better." You really make it sound how dare he make me a nice meal when he knows I want chips.

KenLeeeeeee Wed 21-Nov-12 11:52:31

YANBU. That food all sounds amazing!

I have also found that the more effort I make to prepare delicious, nutritionally balanced food for my feral children, the less likely they are to eat it. I look forward to the days where they actually appreciate proper food and the effort that goes into it!

Iggly Wed 21-Nov-12 13:33:36

<shrugs>
I'm not explaining myself very well! DH doesn't do it because he knows it's wasted effort. I appreciate the efforts he goes to but when I'm knackered, I want something I know and love. The annoyance is internalised - I don't have a go at DH for it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now