To think this isn't a cafe and hence now both children are in bed in tears!!

(92 Posts)
altinkum Tue 20-Nov-12 17:43:50

Friday, I made wedges, chicken drumsticks with garlic and herbs, corn on the cobs and salad. They didn't like that, althrought the previous week it was the best meal ever.

Sat, was feta, spinach and tomatoe tart, with roasted medetarrian veg, hated that and refused, even tho both love the meal.

Sunday, Sunday dinner, stuffed chicken, carrot and swede mash, roasties, cabbage, broccoli, and Yorkies. They ate the puds and that was it.

Yesterday I made tuna pasta bake with rosemary bread and they ate the dry pasta.

Today I made scots broth with homemade tiger bread and they have refused to eat it.

Normally it would make them toast or cereal etc... But today I've simply had enough of cooking meals I know they would like, and then refusing them.

They won't eat "yellow" food, nor and prefer home made food, like roasted chicken, mixed rice etc... But they then complain that its what they always have.

They are 6 and 3, AIBU not to be a cafe no more (its just a phrase I think as normally they eat everything I make) and leave them in bed until they eat the tea I've provided which incidentally they love.

Forgot to say, if they don't eat it don't make a fuss and stress them out. Just take it away and say they can get down as they aren't hungry.

Well u can come and cook for me grin

Yanbu by the way. I hate this, making all the effort to make a nice meal and kids just whine and moan and claim they don't like having not even tried. It's ungrateful. Sadly going without still doesn't make my dd realize just how lucky she is to get a decent meal when so many others have to go without.

Hope they enjoy it tomorrow for breakfast instead (cold) grin

MoreBeta Tue 20-Nov-12 18:11:57

YANBU and I have probably uttered the words "This is not a cafe" on several occassions. Your food sounds lovely.

TBH though it sounds quite like it has complicated and adult flavours for a 3 and 6 yr old. I suggest from bitter experience to simplify and I do mean open a tin of beans and put it on toast if that is what they want. As much as it pains me to do it - that really is the solution sometimes.

For example, organic spelt loaf hand baked is a recent offering. No Dad we want 'white supermerket bread'. Would you like hand cut triple fried chips and cod in breadcrumbs? No Dad can't we just go to the fish n chip shop. Would you like slow cooked beef bourginione, no Dad we want a burger.

They are 10 and 12 - so this phase goes on a loooong time. hmm

Kalisi Tue 20-Nov-12 18:12:30

They sound like great meals! As everyone else has said yanbu to refuse to give them anything else. Especially as you know they like it.
I personally wouldn't have sent them to bed until they eat it though. I understand your frustration but think you are setting yourself up for a massive power struggle. Just ignore them, they won't starve themselves.

leftalonehere Tue 20-Nov-12 18:13:01

Use my mothers phrase - like it or lump it, this is your dinner and there is nowt else but the brew in the pot.

Yanbu your children are!!!

Tinuviel Tue 20-Nov-12 18:13:07

Always 2 choices in this house - take it or leave it! And that applies to adults as well! DH manages to eat liver and I eat chickpeas even though we are not keen as everyone else likes those things. If it's an accompaniment, I may occasionally do an alternative provided it doesn't mean extra work (so if we're having roast sweet potatoes, I'll do DS2 an ordinary potato as he really hates them). DD does tend to pick some things out of her meals (like leeks) but that's her time she's wasting if it's in a stew/pasta sauce.

JustFabulous Tue 20-Nov-12 18:13:13

I have a daughter who loves X but when I make it again a few weeks later doesn't like it hmm.

Tinuviel Tue 20-Nov-12 18:16:13

But MoreBeta, OP said that these are meals that they generally enjoy. So that would indicate pickiness (or possibly they are coming down with something).

rumbelina Tue 20-Nov-12 18:19:49

If you ever want to swap either of your children for eg ME this can be arranged.

amck5700 Tue 20-Nov-12 18:21:00

I'm a sap, I run a cafe and have done for years

I can't face to see my kids or anyone elses go hungry

Mine are 12 and 11 now but are getting better in terms of the variety they eat all the time. I stress that they do eat a healthy diet mainly but just not necessarily the same as my OH and I are having....or sometimes not even the same as each other!!

But as I say, I'm a sap! and I already have a full time job

MoreBeta Tue 20-Nov-12 18:24:54

Tinuviel - I know. These are all things mine eat too but then for some unknown reason - suddenly they won't.

Honestly it reminds me of one of my absolute favourite poems 'Grats for Tea' written and read by Ivor Cutler in ths youtube video. The poem starts 43 seconds into the video.

"I dont want Grats for tea Daddy"

BitOutOfPractice Tue 20-Nov-12 18:25:07

Stealth boast? wink

YANBU - I'll be round at 8

OwlLady Tue 20-Nov-12 18:25:07

do them something from the freezer with baked beans
or tinned ravioli

they will eat the lot hmm

I feel your pain btwgrin

DS2 (aged 5) will eat a tiny bit of dinner then claim he is full. At bedtime he will then complain he is hungry and want cereal. Yesterday he got the rest of his dinner back at bedtime - he ate the whole lot. I might be on to something here.

I do have memories of DS1 sitting up in bed eating his cold spag bol left over from dinner because he used to play the same game.

strictlovingmum Tue 20-Nov-12 18:45:42

YANBU, Your cooking sounds wonderful, if anything your DC's are little bit spoilt, nip it in the bud and let them go without.
Can we come over to yours for tea?thanks

Badgersnatch Tue 20-Nov-12 18:48:23

Do you brush the cornflour/milk mix on top before proving?

How do you make the spinach, feta and tomato tart?

No, YANBU. My five year old frequently goes to bed after two mouthfuls of something horrible that he's eaten happily a hundred times before.

ISeeSmall
make you you do one part orange juice to two parts water
and reuse the doilies so you get the enigmatic murky stains around the edges

maddening Tue 20-Nov-12 18:57:42

Maybe when you plan next week's meals sit them down and give them a choice for each day? If they feel part of the process they might eat it on the day?

Yanbu though - we trust our ds's appetite and if he doesn't eat just move on no fuss - he's 21 mths and you can't reason with himsmile

ISeeSmallPeople Tue 20-Nov-12 18:58:03

Orange juice? Do you think I'm made of money??
It's frozen juice concentrate mixed with finest tap water.
Of course the doilies should be reused.

CaliforniaLeaving Tue 20-Nov-12 19:00:13

YANBU, You meals sound wonderful.
I make one meal, everyone gets it and if they don't eat it's tough luck.
Ds1 never appreciated my cooking till he went to college, every dinner was "Awww I don't want/like that" then after being away a while, he scoffed down anything I made and told his younger brother to stop moaning the food was wonderful grin I've offered Dd to go to bed if she didn't stop moaning about dinner a few times.

freddiefrog Tue 20-Nov-12 19:01:30

YANBU

If I've uttered the words 'I'm not running a cafe' once, I've muttered it a million times

I don't mind catering to genuine dislikes or adapting things if its easy ( DD1 doesn't like mashed potatoes so has them plain - easy enough to take a few spuds out of the saucepan before I mash the rest) but I'm not dicking around with refusing to try stuff or refusing to eat stuff they've always likes

LaCiccolina Tue 20-Nov-12 19:05:59

Not bu at all. My house, I'm chef, my rules. I also don't think cruel or anything. I think as been mentioned its good for kids to know that other kids don't get what they are. And by heavens urs are getting fantastic cooking!

Please b my mummy too? I'd love tiger bread, ill eat seconds too?

Could u post recipe please.....?

Strawhatpirate Tue 20-Nov-12 19:17:28

Wow! I'm in awe of your meals. What would the dcs choose to eat if given free rein?

3b1g Tue 20-Nov-12 19:19:09

If my house were a cafe then it would get terrible reviews and I would have gone out of business by now!

ImperialStateKnickers Tue 20-Nov-12 19:24:23

I've got another very late eater, she frequently finishes dinner off after her shower and before teeth and bed. I suspect but cannot prove that she is stuffing sweeties on the way home from school. One Stop is on her route...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now