To think this isn't a cafe and hence now both children are in bed in tears!!

(92 Posts)
altinkum Tue 20-Nov-12 17:43:50

Friday, I made wedges, chicken drumsticks with garlic and herbs, corn on the cobs and salad. They didn't like that, althrought the previous week it was the best meal ever.

Sat, was feta, spinach and tomatoe tart, with roasted medetarrian veg, hated that and refused, even tho both love the meal.

Sunday, Sunday dinner, stuffed chicken, carrot and swede mash, roasties, cabbage, broccoli, and Yorkies. They ate the puds and that was it.

Yesterday I made tuna pasta bake with rosemary bread and they ate the dry pasta.

Today I made scots broth with homemade tiger bread and they have refused to eat it.

Normally it would make them toast or cereal etc... But today I've simply had enough of cooking meals I know they would like, and then refusing them.

They won't eat "yellow" food, nor and prefer home made food, like roasted chicken, mixed rice etc... But they then complain that its what they always have.

They are 6 and 3, AIBU not to be a cafe no more (its just a phrase I think as normally they eat everything I make) and leave them in bed until they eat the tea I've provided which incidentally they love.

mrskeithrichards Tue 20-Nov-12 17:45:27

How do you do the tiger bit for tiger bread?

And, can I move in!
?

RedHelenB Tue 20-Nov-12 17:46:14

YANBU - if they are hungry they will eat!

RedHelenB Tue 20-Nov-12 17:46:36

YANBU - if they are hungry they will eat!

your meals sound amazing

suburbandream Tue 20-Nov-12 17:47:52

If they won't eat it, can I have it - sounds delish!

Mumsyblouse Tue 20-Nov-12 17:47:54

Not unreasonable to present the food, I wouldn't personally make the children go to bed over it. I'd just say 'that's the tea' and then leave it, although I always give bread and cheese as an alternative. At some point they get hungry enough and come back to it, which cures any protests for quite a while.

Having said that, if they are eating only Yorkshire puddings, or even nothing, it makes me wonder if they are ill as mine are like that when they had this stomach bug that is going around. Strange of children to both eat almost nothing. If they are eating normal amounts, and it's just fussiness, then keep going.

MyLastDuchess Tue 20-Nov-12 17:48:14

YANBU, and please feel free to come to my house to cook any time. Sounds delicious!

yanbu, I stopped cooking nice food for so long and then realised that dh and I dont want to eat kid food so now they like it or they go hungry (taken a lot longer to get to this point due to various weight issues where I didnt dare refuse dd1 food)

NewNames Tue 20-Nov-12 17:48:31

YANBU

PolkadotCircus Tue 20-Nov-12 17:48:54

YANBU

I could have written your post.

I spend a lot of time cooking home made meals I think all will like.

If they don't eat them they go hungry.

Not got the time,money or inclination to run a cafe.

ISeeSmallPeople Tue 20-Nov-12 17:48:55

YANBU
My home is run like a bad b&b. Meals only at set times, if you are in the dining room, & you get what the chef has decided to cook.
I may start putting a small glass of orange juice on a doily.

Will you be my Mummy???!

Alisvolatpropiis Tue 20-Nov-12 17:49:48

Will you adopt me OP? I'll eat it all.

YANBU by the way.

KellyEllyChristmasBelly Tue 20-Nov-12 17:49:57

I wish I lived with you smile

YANBU, and when can I come for dinner? Your meals sound wonderful grin

YABU. Clearly you should be a cafe. It sounds like a great menu.

And a cafe wouldn't feel obliged to give customers something else if they didn't fancy what they ordered when it arrived.

mrskeithrichards Tue 20-Nov-12 17:50:40

I couldn't offer bread and cheese as an alternative, my ds you quite happily live on cheese pieces alone.

lisad123 Tue 20-Nov-12 17:50:59

Yanbu at all, I refuse to cook more than one meal a night.

helpyourself Tue 20-Nov-12 17:52:07

They don't deserve you! thanks
Perhaps they're coming down with something.

NoWayNoHow Tue 20-Nov-12 17:53:14

YANBU. They eat what they're given (especially if you know they like it) or they go hungry.

This isn't about food, it's about a power play and pushing the boundaries. It won't take long before they realised that there's only one thing on offer and eat it.

altinkum Tue 20-Nov-12 17:55:14

For the tiger bread, its just cornflour and while fat milk with normal bread ingredients (Tiger paste)

I don't think they are ill, I hope not they seem to feed of each other and have --I've- just took it out of control.

Meals are cheap if made homemade, and dh won't eat eggs and chips which for me is food of the gods

Viviennemary Tue 20-Nov-12 17:55:23

YANBU. How ungrateful. One meal is quite enough for you to cook per night but alternative like dry bread and water cereal or bread and cheese could be an option if you were feeling generous.

fuzzpig Tue 20-Nov-12 17:59:42

YANBU, it is really frustrating. As they are both suddenly refusing the same thing it sounds like it is just a game to them and maybe they are egging each other on?

Do you think letting them get involved in the planning/cooking might help? (Maybe just on weekends)

My mum used to say 'there are no fussy eaters in Africa'. She's right, kids eat what's on offer when that is all there is. Don't give them anything else if they are hungry later. It isn't cruel, it is a lesson - and they'll make up for it next day by eating everything you dish up without complaint.

Obviously this is not the approach for kids with allergies, SNs and genuine issues around food, but it works on the fussy ones.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now