Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To ask if anyone has / knows anyone who had kids so they could give up work / go part time?

(54 Posts)
Cherryontop99 Tue 20-Nov-12 08:56:15

A friend of mine always talks about having kids so she can give up her job (a very stressful one) or go part time. She says it in a jokey manner, and I know she adores children, so this is not her real motivation.

However, this got me wondering how many women actually do have children because they are fed up with careers / want a change of scene?!

I'm sure there was an article about it in the Daily Mail (!!) too a while ago too.

cory Wed 21-Nov-12 09:16:17

If my only concern was that I didn't like my present job, I'd think about looking for another one before I went to the extreme of landing myself with a job that is likely to last 18+ years and which you can't get out of grin

But suspect for many women, the situation is a bit more complex than that: they may be desperate to get out of their job but also quite like the idea of having children.

melliebobs Wed 21-Nov-12 09:22:48

Oh I'd like to add me n dh were married and had our own place and in a position to have a child. It wasn't a case of I hate my job lets ttc! We wanted a family

SlightlySuperiorPeasant Wed 21-Nov-12 09:27:33

My male colleagues in the department under Her Majesty were very envious of my get-out-of-jail-free card, I have to say!

oohlaalaa Wed 21-Nov-12 09:47:28

My best friend brought forward children for this reason. She was in a well paid job with great maternity benefits, that she hated, and decided to have a baby rather than move on. She was married at the time and 26 years old, but had initially planned for children at about 29 so that she had more savings, and further in her career.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now