To think this is not the way to approach parents about SN?

(11 Posts)
pigletmania Tue 20-Nov-12 11:13:56

I would contact the school regarding this, they should have informed you if there was any problems

streakybacon Tue 20-Nov-12 10:55:43

Tweasels is right. An exam centre can arrange for laptop access and rest breaks without formal application to exam boards, but for scribes, extra time and other access arrangements they need to have a statement or similar assessment, all of which costs money that LAs/schools don't want to spend.

So if your son's handwriting is poor the first option is usually to use a keyboard as they don't need permission for it.

You could look at the JCQ website for more info about arrangements.

Tweasels Tue 20-Nov-12 09:42:31

Surely, it must be a mistake. Ring them and ask for an explanation.

Also, without a statement, a school would struggle to fund a scribe and I've seen many a necessary case refused on this basis.

And, the exam boards have totally clamped down on anyone who hasn't got a statement getting extra time or a reader/scribe. Even those on school action plus. So, for yor son to have all of this offered without any SEN would be very strange.

Must be a mistake

It's the handwriting - we were sent a letter about dd too. Her handwriting hasn't improved even with lots of extra help so they have made sure she can type in exams.

First we knew was a letter home - which is fine with us as we've all tried everything else.

Himalaya Tue 20-Nov-12 09:33:50

To be honest I don't think he does. He has sloppy handwriting, appalling spelling and a teenager's attitude but I don't think he has SN/reading/writing issues.

Tweasels Tue 20-Nov-12 09:14:28

Are you aware that your son has issues at all or is this totally out of the blue?

pingu2209 Tue 20-Nov-12 08:16:25

If the school have not got your children mixed up, I would be horrified with that letter. I have a child with SEN and the process of acceptance that he had problems and needed a lot of help took well over 18 months, even now I think my dh struggles!

If they have identified your other son with SEN they may assume you realise. Wrong to assume though.

Himalaya Tue 20-Nov-12 08:15:58

Sparkletastic - no. Two different schools - primary/secondary.

blueballoon79 Tue 20-Nov-12 08:12:56

I would call them explaining this is the first time you've heard of anything like this and ask them to explain what's going on.

Could it be that they have got your sons mixed up and the letter was supposed to be for DS2?

If the letter is for your DS, I agree it's extremely unproffesional and they should have spoken to you about it in person first.

I'd also explain how upset your DS feels about just being informed in this manner.

Have they cocked up and got the wrong DC?

Himalaya Tue 20-Nov-12 08:09:43

So we get a letter in the post from a woman we have never met at the school yesterday - photocopied standard letter littered with typos and misplaced apostrophes, with my sons name scrawled on top.

It says they are assessing him to see if he needs a scribe, extra time in exams etc...and can we sign the data release form so they can pass the info on to exam boards.

He is in year 9, this is the first we have heard of this. WTF? If they think he might have SN is this really the right way to approach us?!?

DS is upset, doesn't know why he has been targeted for this. We have no idea. He has gone into school fuming today.

(DS2 has SN, will probably have a scribe for exams etc... We are always in and out of his school talking to the teacher, SENCO etc... It is not that I'm against schools doing this at all, this just seems highly unprofessional).

I know this is AIBU, but WWYD??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now