Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career ×

To buy a product aimed at 2-3 yr olds for DSS (6)?

(64 Posts)
spg1983 Mon 19-Nov-12 20:54:36

DSS stays with us every Fri and Sat night. DH and I are both full-time teachers so term time is pretty full-on.

DSS is lovely but has always been a very early riser. Normally he'll wake up before 6 and we've imposed a rule of not coming into our room before 7am, where he sits on our bed and watches TV whilst we snooze. We live in a 3 storey house so am not happy for him to go to lounge on his own and watch TV 2 floors below us, and he has no TV in his room - we don't want to change this.

In the past, he's been good at either settling himself back down to sleep or playing quietly until 7am when we go and check on him and bring him upstairs but recently he's really struggled with time, waking up earlier and also not settling back down to sleep - he is getting very tired and it's taking it's toll on all of us.

I've heard of a "gro-clock" which has some great reviews with people saying it's helped their child to adapt to more sensible timings and helped them to understand it's still "sleep time" without waking up the rest of the family. However I've not seen it reviewed by people with children older than 4. WIBU to buy it anyway and give it a go? Mornings are horrible at the moment with DSS up at crazy-o-clock, I'm struggling with sleep anyway at 6.5 months pregnant and by the evening DSS is flagging by 5pm and DH and I are finding it hard to stay awake too!

thebody Mon 19-Nov-12 23:04:28

All of my 4 slept 7 till 7 at the age of 6.. They needed it.

This clock sounds fab so get it.

Of course it won't do him any harm to be told to not disturb you till 7 for goodness sake.. Some cods on here... He could play quietly in his room or look at books. All of mine did. It's called boundaries.

12ylnon Tue 20-Nov-12 09:44:41

DS is 6 and has one of these:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lego-Digital-Blue-LG11000-Clock/dp/B002OL2IDK
When we first started using it, we stuck a post-it with the time he was allowed to get up on it and set the alarm. Now he just knows.
At the age of 6, he really should be encouraged to tell the time.

socharlotte Tue 20-Nov-12 09:49:30

I am a bit concerned that at 6 you can't trust him to go downstairs and watch alone!!

SooticaTheWitchesCat Tue 20-Nov-12 11:22:37

Ages are just a guide on these things, I often buy things that have a younger age on if I know my children will like them.

gotthemoononastick Tue 20-Nov-12 12:06:15

I use one of these (whispers am in my 6th decade)...love it.Also had a tiny pink spotted doll's china teaset in a little basket from Dh for my 60th!!!Age is only a number!

Mrsjay Tue 20-Nov-12 12:09:30

get him an alarm clock with his charcater of choice set the alarm for 7 and then he knows when it is time to get up

imnotmymum Tue 20-Nov-12 12:10:01

He stays with you a couple of nights and having not seen Dad all week and he not allowed in before 7. Sorry to sound harsh OP but poor thing probably wants some Dad time.

Mrsjay Tue 20-Nov-12 12:12:21

wee bit Harsh that nobody wants to get up at 6 am it is ok for him to stay in bed for a while then have all day with his dad

megandraper Tue 20-Nov-12 12:13:55

my 5yo still uses his Groclock - in fact it didn't work for us at all until he was 5.

spg1983 Tue 20-Nov-12 17:48:22

No worries imnot, point taken but I promise you that time with Dad at 5am is NOT quality time...I go downstairs at 7 and find DSS watching TV and DH asleep on the sofa! At least at 7 we are all feeling human and can stay awake throughout the day.

And with regard to going downstairs- the lounge is 2 floors below us and I just worry that if anything were to happen, I wouldn't hear. Plus all of DSS' toys are in his room (it's really big and he has more space to play there than anywhere else in the house) so there's nothing down there that he'd want anyway.

MerryMarigold Tue 20-Nov-12 17:57:28

I guess the answer then it is to do things which are really tiring! How about his Dad takes him for a jog. Have you tried a very active Saturday and see if he sleeps longer, including some brain activity too like homework/ puzzles etc. Otherwise, it may just be that he is in a place he is not so 'used' to, getting used to the bed etc. Is he with you on Mon morning or does he get up early at his Mums on Monday? Also, don't know if this was mentioned, but do you have blackout blinds?

I am less inclined to think stress about baby if generally he sleeps longer the tireder he gets. With my ds, he generally gets up earlier if he is overtired/ over excited, and the wake-up times get earlier over the term as it is stress related (I believe).

RedHelenB Tue 20-Nov-12 18:10:28

If you are having a baby you will be getting up anyway no doubt _ problem solved!!

Personally my ds at just turned 6 is capable of going downstairs & switching tv & wii on so why not let dss do it? Or when my kids were younger i would put a vdeo on in my bedroom & snooze for an extra half hour 0- 1 hour.

mrskeithrichards Wed 21-Nov-12 08:14:02

I think it would be useful to speak to mum, if there's such a big difference between what he does at home and what he does with you.

imnotmymum Wed 21-Nov-12 08:24:40

Point taken here but just all snuggle for cuddle, he will feel safe and warm and you sleep !!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now