to say that I love Sunday afternoons

(41 Posts)
McPhee Sun 18-Nov-12 16:56:57

Ever since I was very young, I've always felt strangely relaxed at this time hmm. I think it's knowing that there's nothing to rush around for, no shops open...and the world just seems to relax.

I remember having Jam sandwiches infront of the Antiques roadshow, and mum would have made a victoria sandwich. Bliss smile

Bet you all think I'm nuts grin

Are you all relaxed wink

McPhee if only! grin aww
I do wonder very much if Kate is on MN somewhere.....royalty, or maybe she sticks to one particular board?.....

I don't like Sundays.
Had to go to church until I was 15, and that wasn't all bad, but I hated being forced and the boring bits were so deathly dull. Then back home for Sunday lunch which I hated, ASD related ishoos and strict parents not making for a fun time....
Rest of the afternoon knowing it was school the next day, it just felt like I was on the edge of the week, not like Saturday when there's a buffer!

Loveweekends10 Mon 19-Nov-12 05:40:22

Sunday afternoons mean lesson planning for me. So I basically am working whilst trying to do stuff with the kids. Juggle juggle juggle.

No I'm afraid for me Sunday is the shit afternoon before it all starts again. Saturday is better and Friday evening is just great.

McPhee Mon 19-Nov-12 03:43:02

Running up a Hill?

Are you Kate Bush??

grin

LucieMay Sun 18-Nov-12 22:52:13

No I love Sunday morning as I get a lie in but Saturday afternoons are always housework time :-(

Anonymumous Sun 18-Nov-12 22:09:49

I'm with David Wicks here - yeuch to Sunday afternoons!

Anifrangapani Sun 18-Nov-12 22:05:17

As you posted that I was running up a hil - very relaxing.

WishICouldBeLikeDavidWicks Sun 18-Nov-12 22:02:38

No no no!
I flippin' hate Sunday afternoons and always have for the exact reasons the OP gives!

As a child it felt like we were living in the 30s or something, nothing happening, no one about, 'old people's' progammes on telly and radio (apart from the top 40). Impending sense of Monday school/work doom.

Now I've got children to keep me busy and the internet and catch up telly it's much better, but it's still my least favourite part of the week, by far.

GinGirl Sun 18-Nov-12 21:59:37

Love them if I'm feeling prepared...
At the moment, DH watching Homeland, me mumsnetting Christmas shopping, uniform/clothes out for the morning, lunchbox ready, reading done...
So loving it!
DH is a last minute person so hates them as always (even as 40 something) has the 'Sunday-afternoon-not done his homework feeling'

McPhee Sun 18-Nov-12 21:48:41

Blimy

Not made jam tarts in years

I've got some pastry in, because I was going to do mince pies. But actually, Jam tarts and custard might be right up my alley grin

I remember making them with nan when I was soooo very young.

And chipping.....I think I've got a girly crush on you now grin

freddiefrog Sun 18-Nov-12 19:32:56

YANBU

I love Sunday afternoons too, especially this time of year when it's dark early so I don't feel like I should be out doing fresh-air-stuff.

I've been teaching DD2 to knit and making jam tarts. DD1 is out with daddy so it's been a lovely peaceful afternoon with her

ChippingInLovesAutumn Sun 18-Nov-12 19:27:08

Have a wine or a brew & biscuit to wash it down wink

You are lovely - you have had a crap time and some shitty stuff has happened this last year or so, you deserve to have lovely Sunday afternoons with your delightful little DD & I'm really really pleased that you are/do. She is going to have millions of lovely memories of growing up with her brilliant Mum!

I love them every other weekend when my children have had a fun packed day and run off lots of energy during the day. Not like today when XH delivers them home at 6pm having left them in front of the tv all day, so they are hyper and whinging while I try and out them to bed! angry

McPhee Sun 18-Nov-12 19:16:24

Aww thank you Chipping.

For some reason, that's brought a lump to my throat blush

ChippingInLovesAutumn Sun 18-Nov-12 19:13:13

I'm glad you are having a lovely afternoon/evening, you deserve it smile x

McPhee Sun 18-Nov-12 19:06:04

That's one film that makes my teeth itch grin <<<<<< see??

LifeIsBetterInFlipFlops Sun 18-Nov-12 19:05:33

Love, love, love them...log fire, papers and cheese on toast for tea.

lisad123 Sun 18-Nov-12 19:03:29

Sitting watching home alone grin

JamieandtheMagicTorch Sun 18-Nov-12 19:03:13

Sorry, I would love to love Sunday evenings, but I still feel gloom descend as the afternoon wears on. Even though I liked school, I like University, I like my job, I still associate it with getting back on the treadmill.

The only time I was happy on Sundays was when I was a SAHM

McPhee Sun 18-Nov-12 18:57:09

Sometimes mum would ask her best friend and her children up for tea. The table would be a wash with lots of lovely goodies. We'd have bread warmed in the oven too, and be allowed to choose exactly what we wanted to eat. That never happened any other time. If we didn't eat it, then we basically went hungry. So Sunday teas were a big thing!!

Loved it smile

I hope Dd has as many happy memories as I have. I feel very lucky.

Anyway.....have you finished your lesson plans yet?? <taps watch> It's nearly time for your early Sunday bedtime grin

bedmonster Sun 18-Nov-12 18:25:11

Yanbu Sundays are my favourite day by far!! Only day my Dp has all week so we make the most of it. Took the dc swimming this morning, came back for soup. Then some shopping for upcoming birthdays. Now home, have eaten our roast and all scoffing a box of chocs in front of home alone and the fire.
I am a sahm so no dreading Monday mornings here.
What's not to love?!

Yama Sun 18-Nov-12 17:56:24

Sparklingbrrok - thanks do much. We are now watching Home Alone. Excellent.

And yes McPhee - Sundays are ace.

Home Alone has just started on Channel 4....

PlantsDieArid Sun 18-Nov-12 17:46:18

Nope, am in total agreement, snoring dog, roaring fire, full of roast after huge family lunch at my mum's and all the prep and revision done. Harry Potter on, cake and sandwiches for tea. Am with Swedish, I could live all year in a dank melancholy November.

lisad123 Sun 18-Nov-12 17:43:56

Love sunday afternoons. Walks in park, swimming or playing board games seems to be what we do. Followed by roast and bath.
Generally I head off to badminton on Sunday evening to take my stress out on a shuttlecock grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now