In thinking that good make-up is deceptive?

(220 Posts)

Well of course it's supposed to be. That's the whole point of it. Even very subtle make-up is worn to make us look prettier, younger, healthier. This morning, I was rushing around trying to get four DCs ready to get two of them to panto rehearsals, and then on to my parents house, yet I 'had' to find the time to put some make-up on.

I've been told that I am pretty, but it is all an illusion. I scare even myself with my bare reflection sometimes. I won't go out of the house without at least some concealer under my eyes, mascara and blusher. It makes me feel weird, almost naked. I would love to have the confidence to go make-up free, but the odd time I have been to work without a full face of slap, I have been questioned about the state of my health.

I have four DDs, and hope that at least one of them doesn't turn out as vain as her mother grin.

MulledWineOnTheBusLady Mon 19-Nov-12 12:47:53

Oh and TV! I don't watch it much, I could easily live without it, so I've decided all of you could as well, and you could spend the money you save on better bedlinen. OK? Excellent. <gavel>

NervousAt20 Mon 19-Nov-12 12:48:40

Hmm I only wear make up when I go out out not for everyday life, in to busy and don't have the time or patience. Plus it always makes my skin sore

MulledWineOnTheBusLady Mon 19-Nov-12 12:49:08

Yy joy is so wasteful.

Shortbread biscuits too. I hate them, powdery little sods.

snuffaluffagus Mon 19-Nov-12 12:49:47

I really enjoy putting makeup on (I love art and painting so it's probably because of that!).

Day to day I wear -

Concealer
Mac Foundation
A neutral eye shadow
Lots of liquid black eye liner (60's-esque with flicks)
Mascara

Sometimes blusher and sometimes a bit of loose powder if I'm looking all shiny but that's relatively rare.. and some lip gloss on a night out.

It's not that I can't go out without makeup, my skin is ok most of the time but I feel more comfortable when it's all one tone and I think I look scarily like my Dad without any eye-liner or mascara on!

Everlong Mon 19-Nov-12 12:51:41

Have you lovely colouring snuff to get away without blusher? I look dreadful without it. Although sometimes I go a bit blusher happy and can look aunt Sally if I'm not careful.

squoosh Mon 19-Nov-12 12:54:16

Without blusher I look like a consumptive Victorian maiden.

VonHerrBurton Mon 19-Nov-12 12:56:14

MulledWine grin

I do think you'd struggle to find a woman on whom well-applied make up didn't improve their appearance. I'm talking really good primer and concealer, the tiniest amount of bronzing powder and a natural blusher applied in the right places. A hint of lipgloss and one coat of good mascara on curled eyelashes. If people don't want to wear it, then fine, but I can't agree with the argument that it doesn't improve looks.

ICBINEG Mon 19-Nov-12 12:56:28

everlong it may be true that even the most beautiful can be enhanced but it is equally true that even the most polished turd is still a turd. Of course we can enhance ourselves but why should we? And for the benefit of whom?

mulled and Squoosh cats and to a much lesser extent football apparently bring some pleasure to some people. Make up is an arms race of misery based on the apparently undeniable falsehood that you don't look good enough as you are (see everlongs comment above).

The idea that it is both necessary and desirable to improve your physical appearance whatever the cost (monetary, time, health risks in cases of surgery) is horrible from a psychological standpoint and massively sexist to boot.

Whereas as cats are fluffy lovely cute balls of love that can reduce both mental and physical illness in families that have them... and football...erm...oh fuck it you can ban football for all i care!

Everlong Mon 19-Nov-12 12:56:46

Ha! I don't even look that good.

BinksToEnlightenment Mon 19-Nov-12 12:57:39

Salli Hughes! That's her! Thank you.

She did a piece about long wear makeup recently and she said she didn't understand it because topping up your makeup halfway through the day was such a lovely, relaxing ritual.

I totally agree. I love makeup and I love putting it on. It's an art.

It is!

Woozley Mon 19-Nov-12 12:58:01

I have gone back to regularly wearing a bit of make up again after being all "I work from home now, I don't need to bother, woo hoo!" for a while. I am, however, quite confident to go out without it, but I look more glam with it. YY to the "You look tired/ill" comments though when I go without if people are used to seeing me with it.

The main issue (if I have any real ones) with my face is that I do have darker circles under my eyes than most people so I tend to put a bit of concealer on at least - also my eyelashes are quite light - not blonde but a lighter brown than my hair so if I have missed out on a bit of sleep I look tired and my eyes don't stand out (IYSWIM!) Though having light body hair is quite nice in terms of not looking very hairy generally - swings & roundabouts.

So, for daily wear I have concealer, loose powder, bronzing powder, eyeliner & mascara, that's it. It takes me 3 minutes to apply. I hardly ever bother with foundation, it doesn't do anything for me whatsoever. On a night out I additionally wear eyeshadow, highlighter, blusher & lipstick.

ICBINEG Mon 19-Nov-12 12:58:31

definitely ban TV - that is where the blaring of the "oh god you can't possibly go out looking like that" message is at its loudest...

Everlong Mon 19-Nov-12 12:58:33

That's not my point though is it? I didn't say anybody had to. I said that everyone could be enhanced by makeup. Which is true.

squoosh Mon 19-Nov-12 13:00:40

Long Live Makeup!

<chains self to Space NK counter>

MulledWineOnTheBusLady Mon 19-Nov-12 13:01:00

Make-up brings pleasure to some people, ICBINEG. You don't get to decide that it's an arm race of misery for people who are not you. Sorry.

NessunDorma Mon 19-Nov-12 13:02:39

Oh god, I have very pale skin, dark circles under my eyes, acne scars and a round face that looks moon-like without a bit of blusher and some eyebrow pencil.

Maybe I'm pathetic but I honestly used to avoid mirrors because I looked so washed out and tired. I have only really figured out what suits me in the past year, but my confidence has risen so much.

<High-fives lubeybooby>

Woozley Mon 19-Nov-12 13:04:45

The idea that it is both necessary and desirable to improve your physical appearance whatever the cost (monetary, time, health risks in cases of surgery) is horrible from a psychological standpoint and massively sexist to boot.

I don't agree with such a sweeping statement. The biggest cost but most effective way for me to improve my physical appearance (but more importantly, health) is by going to the gym, for which I pay £36 a month. Make up doesn't tone muscles, keep your body strong or your blood pressure down, or help stave off osteoporosis.

And I'm slightly in the minority as a woman there I'd say. When I started going to a gym 20 years ago I was vastly in the minority. Generally if you are healthy you look good too. Make up only does so much.

NessunDorma Mon 19-Nov-12 13:04:54

Oh and I fake tan too. <whips self>

Everlong Mon 19-Nov-12 13:05:23

Ban makeup. Surely they are swear words.

I love makeup.

That business of it taking up precious time is utter shite. In the morning whilst ds is getting dressed I put my makeup on. I'm guessing it takes less than 2 minutes. I'll time myself tomorrow. Nobody is missing out and I look a hell of a lot better for it.

I find it odd that any woman would be so against it.

So no makeup... what about getting haircuts & combing it, that ok? What about hairspray? step too far? Should we just wear basic gender neutral clothing, no fancy adornments? grin

I think its lovely we can make ourselves look better if we so choose. And that those who prefer to look unmade up are allowed to do that too.

Everlong Mon 19-Nov-12 13:13:42

Whenever I see a woman with no makeup on I always think I'd love to get my hands on her.

NewRowSees Mon 19-Nov-12 13:19:23

Yay makeup lovers! I only spend about 5-6 minutes on my face (maybe up to 15 if it was a big event, like my birthday), but it makes such a difference to my general sense of well-being, I'd never not.

Not sure why the make-up killjoys can't make do with not wearing it themselves. No need for judgement / comments like Icebineg's. I certainly don't judge people who don't wear make-up!

NessunDorma Mon 19-Nov-12 13:21:06

And it doesn't have to be expensive either, most of my makeup is from Collection 2000 blush I don't have money to spend in Selfridges but I still enjoy makeup!

LadySybilPussPolham Mon 19-Nov-12 13:40:26

Interesting thoughts on here. My use of make up has always been to conceal spots, uneven skin, red patches etc. I've had bad skin for nearly 30 years and only antibiotics and pregnancy have temporarily improved it. I used to find it incredibly depressing and limiting but have very gradually come to terms with it. I am still, however, extremely self conscious and would be unable to go out and face people without the very minimum of concealer/foundation and powder. It's not about embellishment for me - its about camouflage, for want of a better word. I have also generally found that people with 'good' skin simply do not understand this.

Exactly Nessun! I spend maybe £50 a year on make-up as I buy Collection2000 or Rimmel. Unless I have a Boots voucher, when I will treat myself to something nicer.

ICBINEG Of course we can enhance ourselves but why should we? And for the benefit of whom? For my own benefit. My skin is so bad that I dislike being seen by anyone other than DH without make-up. If I didn't wear it I wouldn't leave the house because I would think that people are staring at my awful skin. That wouldn't be much of a life would it?

I understand some of what you're saying from a feminist viewpoint, but it might be taken more seriously if you didn't sound so smug and judgmental.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now