To feel uncomfortable and not be entirely sure hoe to take this sort of comment.

(21 Posts)

biscuit

TraineeBabyCatcher Sat 17-Nov-12 20:42:51

Okay, can I ask why you have reported it as I'm not sure what I've said wrong?

thebody Sat 17-Nov-12 20:41:44

Good grief!!

NoraGainesborough Sat 17-Nov-12 20:37:47

The dictionary meaning of Nigger, means jack shit.

Its a word that is not used because the use was primarily no2 off the list.

Anyway I am hiding this and I have reported it.

NoraGainesborough Sat 17-Nov-12 20:35:58

Niger - latin meaning black

That has a different pronunciation. Soft 'g'

Also the OP heard enough to know she was not quoting someone so she surely heard enough to know it wasn't a general knowledge quiz. grin

TraineeBabyCatcher Sat 17-Nov-12 20:31:36

Thanks quote.

I've actually just reread my post and does 2 as actually mean that they * have * been considered in that manner, not they are that? Iygwim

quoteunquote Sat 17-Nov-12 20:27:02

also please give me one example of using the word nigger, when its appropriate.

Q:what was the RAF dog in the dam busters called?
and for a bonus point what was the name changed to in the remake?

Seriously, Every time you hear someone say some unkind, or that others may take offence to, just remind them that they must not say such things, it everyone did this people would think before they speak, and if you think, you tend not say so many stupid things.

Niger - latin meaning black

I'ts when it's used as abuse.

TraineeBabyCatcher Sat 17-Nov-12 20:21:26

I said I have heard it used in that manner, not that it necessarily is.

Anyway google says: nigger [ nig-er ]

noun 1. a member of any dark-skinned people. 2. a person of any race or origin regarded as contemptible, inferior, ignorant, etc. 3. a victim of prejudice similar to that suffered by blacks; a person who is economically, politically, or socially disenfranchised.

2 says to me that it is derogatory. :s

NoraGainesborough Sat 17-Nov-12 20:15:38

Op I would answer you but since you are so far off base (as in its not derogatory) and you could just look yourself. I can't be bothered.

TraineeBabyCatcher Sat 17-Nov-12 20:13:08

Also what is bpt? And off topic what does dsid stand for?

I don't know Nora as I genuinely don't know what it means just that I had only ever heard it used in a derogatory manner towards black people

Whatnowffs Sat 17-Nov-12 20:08:21

oh, theres another thread - snore grin

NoraGainesborough Sat 17-Nov-12 20:07:31

also please give me one example of using the word nigger, when its appropriate.

TraineeBabyCatcher Sat 17-Nov-12 20:07:25

Thanks hidden I thought there was an a in it but couldn't figure it out. I won't play the I am dyslexic card, because I am- but that was just me being too lazy to look it up.

Sorry Nora I don't know which thread you mean?

Whatnowffs Sat 17-Nov-12 20:07:22

hidden, i can't spell for toffee, i have two degrees!

thebody - wtf?

NoraGainesborough Sat 17-Nov-12 20:06:26

Are you trying to prove some sort of point?
Is this related to the other thread about bpt and the posters who are saying its ok for black people to use certain phrase but not white people?

thebody Sat 17-Nov-12 20:04:56

Yawn!!!

hiddenhome Sat 17-Nov-12 20:02:09

If you're at university, surely you should be able to spell the word 'colleague' wink

Wishfulmakeupping Sat 17-Nov-12 20:02:05

It's still racist no matter what ethnicity she is

Whatnowffs Sat 17-Nov-12 20:00:41

Racism isn't just for white people! I'd pull her up on this, she shouldn't be talking like this

thebody Sat 17-Nov-12 19:59:11

Yawn!!!

TraineeBabyCatcher Sat 17-Nov-12 19:58:01

I have a university collegue (sp?) Who is of Asian descent. She is constantly refering to 'blackies', 'paki's' and 'them' (amongst other phrases I can't think of), she means Asian people. Example would be:
Person a 'im on placement in x place in xcity'
Uni collegue 'oh the blackie area, don't be scared of the blackies round there, they're okay'.

I've also over heard her using the phrase nigger though didn't hear enough of the convo so can't really comment other than that I didn't think that was an acceptable word to use (she wasn't saying it was a quote or anything like that)

I just don't feel comfortable, but not sure if iabu seen as she is refering to her own race, just not sure how to take that sort of comment?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now