To think protesters shouting"stop killing children"should have thought twice about doing it outside the only two kids shoe shops in town?

(133 Posts)
PolkadotCircus Sat 17-Nov-12 18:12:25

Trying to get my head round this so advice please.

I have a lot of sympathy re the Palestine situation however today I just had to get ds 9 new shoes.Soooo I dragged the 3 dc(9,9and7) to the only two kids shoe shops in town outside of which was a protest re the current situation in Palestine.The above slogan was pretty much the only thing being shouted.

One of my dc is very sensitive.Whilst we try and explain world events there are things we have to shield him from as he worries,gets scared and can think too much.The other 2 are fine.

Soooo this protest was literally below the window of said shoe shop.Ds froze and bombarded me with questions which I tried to answer.He has since been asking a lot this afternoon re "where do they kill children,why" etc.You couldn't really escape it in town as it was up and down the same street(to be fair the only place to protest).

Now I know my dc are lucky enough to live in a safe country and I know kids shouldn't be sheltered forever from nasty world events(I've explained the crux of the 2nd WW,Afganistan etc)however surely it's up to a parent as to how much you expose kids to and kids differ.

Maybe the phrasing should have been changed?

I'm very pro the right to protest though so can't quite get my head round whether I was right to be annoyed.

Maybe I wasn't,thoughts please.smile

Doneinagain Sat 17-Nov-12 22:19:59

Really OP your post does make you sound incredibly precious.As mentioned above children are being slaughtered but sod them you just NEED to buy your privileged children a new pair of shoes???
How depressing that instead of empathy and sadness for the cause you are complaining about how your children will be affected.
At 9 your child is old enough to be taught about the situation, yes it's not how you would have chosen to do it, but I would have thought your child seeing that there are people passionate enough to stand up for injustice would give them some faith in humankind. Perhaps the more you shelter them the less likely they are to trust you to tell them the truth.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsDeVere Sat 17-Nov-12 22:22:18

I do sympathise OP. My DS has ASD and would be going on about this for months after if it happened to us.
I understand where you are coming from.
However I think in this case it is so hideously awful, the tragedy is so immense, I would suck it up and put up with the backlash from DS.

PolkadotCircus Sat 17-Nov-12 22:26:20

No Done where did I say there was no empathy?Think I said quite the opposite.

It was a busy high street.Ds was upset,there were people everywhere and we couldn't stop to talk so all I could say was it's nothing you need to worry about thus belittling the protest and not teaching him anything.

We've had far more informative discussions at home.

If a variety of intelligent, creative slogans more suited to the many young families present were used we'd have hung around and been able to have a far more productive and empathetic conversation.

defuse Sat 17-Nov-12 22:28:10

Yes, we do not like to expose our children to such things, particularly if they are sensitive. I do feel for your dc OP, but i also feel so much more for the child who lost their life i Gaza and i am glad the protesters are shouting about it, even if it is outside 2 kids shoe shops! You could return to that shoe shop another time, your dc will hopefully be ok, can we say the same for the children in Gaza?

missymoomoomee Sat 17-Nov-12 22:30:06

Well Polka actually sadly for my children, and many many other children in this country death does play a part in their daily lives. So, yes, their faces are being 'rubbed in it' daily. You really do sound like your children are wrapped up in cotton wool.

The protesters wanted to raise awareness, you are talking about it. I don't see how their method was counter productive at all.

PolkadotCircus Sat 17-Nov-12 22:32:07

Defuse as I said(repeatedly)nothing against it being shouted about but a lot against that particular phrase being hollered over and over again which seemed to have zero benefit.I heard a lot of people(young and old)getting quite annoyed.

As I said a variety of creative,intelligent phrases more suited to the audience would have served their cause far more.

Doneinagain Sat 17-Nov-12 22:33:08

But OP you say you have 'sympathy' as long as you don't have to deal with any of the messy details.
I would understand your distaste more if your DC were younger but IMO they are at a good age to discuss these hideous events.
Had the protestors watered down their slogans it wouldn't have had much effect...the whole point is to make people stop and listen YOU chose to hurry your children along, that is fine it is up to you how to educate your children but you can't keep them sheltered forever.
What is happening in the ME is terrifying for those who live there...there are soo many things your Dc's can learn from this.
Why post in AIBU if you're not interested in being told you are?

HoolioHallio Sat 17-Nov-12 22:34:39

Having just watched news pictures from Gaza, with the broken body of a small child with shrapnel in her head, YABU. Children are dying. It's the shitty, crappy world we live in and it's up to you as a parent to explain and reassure your kids.

SirBoobAlot Sat 17-Nov-12 22:36:48

I understand what you mean. I have a mental health condition that makes me overly emotive, and I'm sure situations like this were a nightmare for my parents when I was young enough to hear but not understand IYSWIM. (Am not suggesting your DS has a mental health condition, BTW!) I still have to be careful about external things having a large impact on me. So know what you mean.

We are lucky that we have the right to free speech, yes. BUT simply shouting extremes out at people is not going to achieve any understanding or sympathy for any cause. It never makes sense.

PolkadotCircus Sat 17-Nov-12 22:39:32

Nope Missy far from wrapped in cotton wool,they have a v good world understanding actually.Absolutely no need for unpleasant world events to not be handled carefully when teaching children.

Nope we didn't talk about it as we hustled him away(along with many other people).As I said if it was more family friendly we(and many others would have hung around)and maybe signed their petition.

Doneinagain Sat 17-Nov-12 22:44:09

Has your Dc asked you about it since? What did you say?
If not what are you worried about?

missymoomoomee Sat 17-Nov-12 22:45:22

Then I don't see the issue, if they have a good world understanding surely you have explained similar events to them before now that you could have referred back to.

Doneinagain Sat 17-Nov-12 22:45:32

And really how can children being slaughtered be 'family friendly'?
It should never be.....

PolkadotCircus Sat 17-Nov-12 22:47:51

Done I am interested but I guess I was hoping the point of shouting that particular phrase over and over would have been identified but it hasn't so I'm guessing the thread has answered itself for me.

We had no choice but to hustle ds away.There was little point re staying-he was scared,upset and wanted to go.That is my whole point.There were several families with younger kids cross and some oaps v hacked off

We haven't sheltered them from the ME at all,they know a lot(probably far more than most kids their age) and are very informed but not in a graphic way that makes them want to shut the whole issue out and run for the hills.

Educating doesn't need to be graphic or scary.

Maybe I value well thought out protests that reach their audience(this wasn't one)so thanks for many posts,has been useful.

SirBoobAlot Sat 17-Nov-12 22:51:02

No but the horror of what is going on can be explained better than just screaming "STOP KILLING CHILDREN", surely?

PolkadotCircus Sat 17-Nov-12 22:52:27

Done there are plenty of ways to shout the message across.I don't buy that "stop killing children" is the onlyphrase one can shout to protest against the situation.

OldMumsy Sat 17-Nov-12 22:55:57

The Palestinians have brought this upon their own heads. They are not the innocent parties they want to appear as. They have showered Israel with rockets targeted on civilians and the world has not given a shit. Now they are reaping the whirlwind.

And your shoe buying is trivial in this case.

PolkadotCircus Sat 17-Nov-12 22:58:16

Yup I guess the shoes were neither here nor there.It was however a poor choice of venue to shout such a phrase over and over again.

thingy1 Sat 17-Nov-12 23:00:22

So what was the point of asking AIBU?

Bizarre.

Doneinagain Sat 17-Nov-12 23:00:37

Can it SirBoob? This isn't a discussion in the House of Commons. It is meant to make people stop,think and be horrified quickly and effectively to be moved into action. It didn't work with the OP because she was concerned for her child but it may have made a great difference in getting people to stop and pay attention.
The OP's child is 9 I'm sure he would have understood most slogans.
Don't you think it is a little precious to complain about a child maybe slightly getting a little upset (although the op doesn't say he has spoken about it since) when there are children actually DYING!
Please get some perspective.

difficultpickle Sat 17-Nov-12 23:01:11

I agree it is not the only phrase the protestors could have said but it is arresting, isn't it and makes the point clearly and succinctly.

I can understand they OP's concern for a younger sensitive child but surely a 9 yr old is old enough to explain why those people are protesting? My 8 yr old knows what is going on, albeit he has my interpretation and what he sees on the news as he is too young to appreciate the historical reference behind what is going on today.

difficultpickle Sat 17-Nov-12 23:02:33

The most horrific image I've seen on this was the poor BBC journalist cradling the body of his 11 month old baby. Stop killing children is the only thing to say here imvho.

missymoomoomee Sat 17-Nov-12 23:03:24

What was the point in asking on here at all.

The majority of people have said YABU and you are just repeating why you aren't BU. You were clearly never going to listen to opinions that differed from yours anyway.

Doneinagain Sat 17-Nov-12 23:03:59

And OldMumsy I'm not sure an 11month old baby boy getting killed deserved the 'whirlwind of retaliation' you so sensitively described. There have been innocents slaughtered on both sides. Lets not turn this into an Israel vs Palestine debate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now