Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to worry about sitter

(34 Posts)
Flojo1979 Sat 17-Nov-12 16:22:34

Ok having a melt down, just burst in to tears, not sure why properly.
Other than I've got sitters.co.uk lady coming later for the first time and suddenly I'm really anxious.
A complete stranger, in my home, with my babies (7&3 yo) what was I thinking?
Date due any minute and I'm crying.
Help!

Djembe Sun 18-Nov-12 21:18:01

We were exactly the same OP the first time we used them - only DS was only 10mo blush I have literally no idea how you'd get your children to 3 and 7 without a good adult night out or two hundred

Using them again this weekend, crossing fingers DS will settle ok (now nearly 1)

Ilovecake1 Sun 18-Nov-12 17:51:05

That's lovely, did you also have a nice night?

Alliwantisaroomsomewhere Sun 18-Nov-12 17:43:06

That's good news! Perhaps you could request the same sitter next time?

Lia87 Sun 18-Nov-12 15:19:08

oops missed your last post there! glad it went well smile

Lia87 Sun 18-Nov-12 15:17:57

i'm sure it will be fine, make sure you take time to talk to her to put yourself at ease, and have her number to phone and ask during the night if you're worried.
I babysat for a while for parents from the nursery i worked at, and it's perfectly normal for a parent to phone/text once/even a few times if theyre not used to leaving their children, dont feel silly doing it, its better than you worrying! smile
remember lots of mums use babysitters from babies onwards, yours are both old enough to say if theyre not happy with her, have a lovely night you deserve it!

Flojo1979 Sun 18-Nov-12 15:02:52

Sorry I disappeared.
My sitter arrived and the anxiety and this thread became a distant memory!
My sitter was lovely, she was very reassuring.
For those who haven't used it
My 3 yo DD was asleep on her arrival and luckily didn't wake, as I hadn't really told her that I wouldn't be there as I knew I'd never get her down (I just vaguely mentioned in the morning that a nice lady called.....might visit one night)
My 7 yo DS wanted to stay up and meet her, so I gave him supper and got him in his pjs before she arrived.
She was very chatty and put us all at ease.
She put a film on for DS for a bit and read with him for a long story, then off to bed he went.
She was booked til midnight but we arrived back half an hour early (not deliberately) to find her watching telly, as expected.
Will def do it again and only wish I'd done it years ago!

racytrace Sun 18-Nov-12 09:25:29

I regulary do bedtimes as a sitter, most children love to hear a story read by someone different, different voices for different characters etc. Some play me up by not settling, but I am quietly firm with them and it usually works.

12ylnon Sat 17-Nov-12 22:30:51

I really wouldn't worry!
I'm a babysitter, all of my clients got me off the net (find a babysitter, mumsnet local and fb) and I can assure you, I'm lovely and perfectly normal smile I love children and when a child is in my care, their safety and happiness is my main concern.
I think you do have to be careful, but as long as you choose one who is crb checked, with plenty of experience and references, the chances are, your children are in safe hands. I'm always happy to meet with families first too if it makes them feel more comfortable. It's always worth asking!

itsatrap Sat 17-Nov-12 20:49:09

I actually I no idea you could do this! How could I not know you can hire a babysitter from an agency? Do and I haven't been out on our own for over 3 years. OP, hope you have a great night out, from the replies you've had sounds like your dcs are in good hands!

AuntLucyInTransylvania Sat 17-Nov-12 20:31:52

where we get the same sitter regularly and the kids are familiar with them and like them, then I might be ok about asking them to do bedtime (and pay a bigger tip as a thank you). When it's a new person we generally book a late start time so we know the kids will be in bed when they arrive.

BsshBossh Sat 17-Nov-12 20:28:05

Curious about babysitting services - do your sitters (from agencies) put your DC to bed and do your DC settle for them?

LadyMaryChristmas Sat 17-Nov-12 18:44:11

Will they collect the little darlings from school for you, bring them home, feed them and keep them occupied until you get there?

Alliwantisaroomsomewhere Sat 17-Nov-12 18:41:27

I second a PP's comment re next door neighbour's 15 yr old niece! By the way, when I was vetted, I found out that Sitters HAD contacted all my references and HAD checked with OFSTED that I was registered as a CM. Also, I had to answer some questions about what the common signs of meningitis are, what I would do in XYZ situation and so on. It is a very thorough checking procedure!

Alliwantisaroomsomewhere Sat 17-Nov-12 18:38:52

I also used to work for sitters and am a registered childminder and ordinary mother! I don't believe that you have any reason to worry! i used to enjoy the time away from my family for a bit to do some course work or reading or paperwork etc.

Honestly and truly, don't worry! Call the sitter after an hour or so and ask her (presumably it will be a her) to text you.

Now go out and have a lovely date!!

BeerTricksPott3r Sat 17-Nov-12 18:30:11

That would be silly, Whodya. And not conducive to a good night out. A quick text would be sufficient, as racy says.

Whodyanickabollockoff Sat 17-Nov-12 18:26:59

keep phoning up every 10 minutes to see every thing is ok

Corriewatcher Sat 17-Nov-12 18:04:21

I used Sitters for the first time two months ago. Felt a bit strange on the day too, but it all went really really well. Was really impressed by the babysitter. They will phone you an hour before they're supposed to arrive, and as soon as I spoke to her on phone I felt reassured.

See how it goes. I'm sure everything will be absolutely fine and you'll be able to enjoy a whole new social life.

racytrace Sat 17-Nov-12 17:30:20

Hi, you really do need to stop worrying. I work for Sitters.co.uk. I am 40 and a mum of 3 boys and am a perfectly normal family minded person. I work with kids on a daily basis and am fully trained. Sitters only take on people who have enough up to date experience and we are all fully CRB checked.

Most of us do it to raise a bit more income and we enjoy looking after your children (makes a change from our own).

If you really are worried spend some time with your sitter before you go. How does he/she react to your children, and they to her? If one of your children is a bit unsettled when you leave, you can ring the sitter or the sitter can ring or text you.

I always text mum if she is at all worried, it helps them stop them worrying.

We all deserve some time off now and then. Go out and enjoy it, your children will still be there when you get home and will probably tell you all about it when they get up in the morning.

FloatyFlo Sat 17-Nov-12 17:25:14

Hey fellow Flo! I'm sure you are more than deserving of a fab night out. You'd have been anxious no matter whose capable hands you left you dc in, so don't fret too much and have fun!

Whatnowffs Sat 17-Nov-12 17:17:25

Ah, hush now OP - am envy Go and enjoy the band knowing that you have left your children with soeone who has been checked out. They will probably have almost as much fun as you. Selfish mum, my arse!

GhostShip Sat 17-Nov-12 17:16:13

Bobyan harsh or what hmm

FanjoForTheMammaries Sat 17-Nov-12 17:16:06

Well there are nicer ways of pointing out without saying 'get a grip'

HermioneE Sat 17-Nov-12 17:13:14

I think Bobyan was just trying to point out that the OP is judging herself way more harshly than she would someone else in her position.

Have a nice night out OP smile

FanjoForTheMammaries Sat 17-Nov-12 17:10:13

It's normal to feel like this the first time and gets easier.

I hope you enjoy your night out.

And do ignore Bobyan who clearly has no empathy, what a rude post that was.

HandMini Sat 17-Nov-12 16:59:37

We use sitters.co.uk ALL the time. And have always to date had good experiences. Sometimes I have to work late, sometimes I have a doctors appointment and sometimes we just feel like going out for dinner! It's fine to do, it's a sensible judgement call around who is best to look after your children (which happens to be shared by thousands of other parents if you find that reassuring) and its sometimes necessary for sanity to prioritise your needs. Now enjoy your evening.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now