to worry about sitter

(34 Posts)
Flojo1979 Sat 17-Nov-12 16:22:34

Ok having a melt down, just burst in to tears, not sure why properly.
Other than I've got sitters.co.uk lady coming later for the first time and suddenly I'm really anxious.
A complete stranger, in my home, with my babies (7&3 yo) what was I thinking?
Date due any minute and I'm crying.
Help!

itsatrap Sat 17-Nov-12 20:49:09

I actually I no idea you could do this! How could I not know you can hire a babysitter from an agency? Do and I haven't been out on our own for over 3 years. OP, hope you have a great night out, from the replies you've had sounds like your dcs are in good hands!

12ylnon Sat 17-Nov-12 22:30:51

I really wouldn't worry!
I'm a babysitter, all of my clients got me off the net (find a babysitter, mumsnet local and fb) and I can assure you, I'm lovely and perfectly normal smile I love children and when a child is in my care, their safety and happiness is my main concern.
I think you do have to be careful, but as long as you choose one who is crb checked, with plenty of experience and references, the chances are, your children are in safe hands. I'm always happy to meet with families first too if it makes them feel more comfortable. It's always worth asking!

racytrace Sun 18-Nov-12 09:25:29

I regulary do bedtimes as a sitter, most children love to hear a story read by someone different, different voices for different characters etc. Some play me up by not settling, but I am quietly firm with them and it usually works.

Flojo1979 Sun 18-Nov-12 15:02:52

Sorry I disappeared.
My sitter arrived and the anxiety and this thread became a distant memory!
My sitter was lovely, she was very reassuring.
For those who haven't used it
My 3 yo DD was asleep on her arrival and luckily didn't wake, as I hadn't really told her that I wouldn't be there as I knew I'd never get her down (I just vaguely mentioned in the morning that a nice lady called.....might visit one night)
My 7 yo DS wanted to stay up and meet her, so I gave him supper and got him in his pjs before she arrived.
She was very chatty and put us all at ease.
She put a film on for DS for a bit and read with him for a long story, then off to bed he went.
She was booked til midnight but we arrived back half an hour early (not deliberately) to find her watching telly, as expected.
Will def do it again and only wish I'd done it years ago!

Lia87 Sun 18-Nov-12 15:17:57

i'm sure it will be fine, make sure you take time to talk to her to put yourself at ease, and have her number to phone and ask during the night if you're worried.
I babysat for a while for parents from the nursery i worked at, and it's perfectly normal for a parent to phone/text once/even a few times if theyre not used to leaving their children, dont feel silly doing it, its better than you worrying! smile
remember lots of mums use babysitters from babies onwards, yours are both old enough to say if theyre not happy with her, have a lovely night you deserve it!

Lia87 Sun 18-Nov-12 15:19:08

oops missed your last post there! glad it went well smile

Alliwantisaroomsomewhere Sun 18-Nov-12 17:43:06

That's good news! Perhaps you could request the same sitter next time?

Ilovecake1 Sun 18-Nov-12 17:51:05

That's lovely, did you also have a nice night?

Djembe Sun 18-Nov-12 21:18:01

We were exactly the same OP the first time we used them - only DS was only 10mo blush I have literally no idea how you'd get your children to 3 and 7 without a good adult night out or two hundred

Using them again this weekend, crossing fingers DS will settle ok (now nearly 1)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now