to be pissed off at idiots who ask for a Buy-It-Now Price price on eBay auctions

(45 Posts)
PrettyHairClips Sat 17-Nov-12 13:44:05

WTF. If I had a Buy It Now price, I would have put it on the auction FFS. What's up with these people?? Don't they know that sellers have to option to put a BIN price, and if they don't chose that option, it means THEY DON'T WANT TO.

Smeeeinit Sat 17-Nov-12 14:02:06

Wouldn't say your BU but it can work in your favour...
I recently sold a handbag for £75 more than I was willing to sell for from a buyer offering a B.I.N price grin

Item worth easily £50

Will you take £15 inc p&p?

No, no I won't

Grrrrr

PrettyHairClips Sat 17-Nov-12 14:11:56

Why do they do it though? Are they really that impatient?

Umm, you may have put a bin, but the minute somebody else bids, the bin is removed.
E.g, 99p start, or £50 bin. Someone bids 99p, bye bye bin price. Hence people asking.

Try and understand how it works before you get your knickers wedged between your arse cheeks.

HellothisisJoanie Sat 17-Nov-12 14:17:43

thats bollocks, I often get stuff that way

Mousefunk Sat 17-Nov-12 14:24:03

I've only ever done it once. The item didn't come up that often, I was desperate for it and it was a ten day auction. As it turns out I got it for about £20 less than they go for in auctions and she threw the p+p in there for free! So I was elated.

I'm happy to accept a buy it now price when I sell if it is a reasonable one. I had a cheeky bugger ask me if he could buy 3 babygrows (incl. The no added sugar sleep thief one) for £10 incl. p+p shock dream on mate.

What annoys me is people who ask stupid qs about the items. If I haven't mentioned any marks then it has none.. and I really cba digging around to find my measuring tape to measure the arms on the coat for you.. I gave you the dress size and that should be enough! If I buy a coat in a store I don't wander around measuring arm lengths.. Grr rant over!

TraineeBabyCatcher Sat 17-Nov-12 14:32:28

Yabu. Many sellers will accept BIN even if they don't set them initially.

I set an auction always, if someone requests a buy it now with a decent offer I normally accept.

I8toys Sat 17-Nov-12 14:36:13

YANBU - Let them wait with everyone else. We always say let it go to auction. Some idiot said oh what I shame I was going to give you £20.

Keep your money mate - I'd rather it go for 99p.

cloudpuff Sat 17-Nov-12 15:06:56

Sometimes I ask for bin if I'm going to be away when the auction ends and missout on bidding, as I dont take laptops,iapds etc on holiday with me. Sometimes they say yes, sometimes they say no.

Yanbu but I dont think its unreasonable for people to ask either.

loopylou6 Sat 17-Nov-12 15:22:18

Idiots? Really? How rude. I've asked for a bin before when my fridge died and I found someone selling locally, they where happy to help.

pigletmania Sat 17-Nov-12 15:25:07

Yabu if you don't ask you don't get. Wht wrong with it anyway, peopl want to see if they can get a bargain. If its something they really wan an don't want other bidders to get their grubby paws on like designer handbags for instance grin

pigletmania Sat 17-Nov-12 15:26:22

Exactly trainee if the offer is good why not. In the uk we are too civil

SweetSeraphim Sat 17-Nov-12 15:27:20

Blimey, I think you're being pretty rude actually. What's the harm in asking? There are loads of reasons why someone might ask that question, you can say no! Sorry asking a simple question presents such a hardship for you hmm

I8toys Sat 17-Nov-12 15:27:28

Pigletmania - nothing wrong at all with it - its when you say no sorry its going to auction and they get abusive. Blocked straight away.

pigletmania Sat 17-Nov-12 15:28:57

Oh no if a seller to,d me it was going to auction fair enough. I both buy and sell

lljkk Sat 17-Nov-12 15:30:42

You usually pay fees for offering BIN. So I never offer BIN even though I might be wiling to accept if offer good enough. It's only a question.

Have you written in CAPITAL TALL GLOWING NEON letters "I will not be offering a Buy It Now" option in the description? Maybe best to do that in future.

pigletmania Sat 17-Nov-12 15:30:43

I have got some fabulous bags at a bargain because I asked fr a BIN, at auction they can go way over the top as people get carried away

pigletmania Sat 17-Nov-12 15:32:14

The sellers fees are dreadful, even at auction. I guess hen your selling high end bags like Dior, Prada, miu miu I will be

tethersend Sat 17-Nov-12 15:34:08

YABU.

I have asked in the past (when there are no bids), quite prepared to pay what the item is worth- as the seller has refused, I have managed to get the item for a fraction of its worth when the auction ends.

There's no 'I' in idiot wink

LeBFG Sat 17-Nov-12 15:34:20

Er, BIN for 20 quid or wait for the auction to get 99p - and you prefer 99p???

If I have an item I particularly want, I often ask for a BIN price, or even ask for several items as a one price bundle. You only have to refuse. Everyone I've asked have given a price (except one which already had bids on so didn't want to pull - fair enough).

If info is not mentioned in the add, I ask questions too. So if no mention of marks, I'll ask for marks. THe problem is with your description. THe worst ads are: babygrow, 18 mo. No make, no indication of whether the clothing is from a with smokers/pets, well used/like new etc. Plus, I always ask some questions - it's a good way to test the seller (may sound odd - but I've had questions go unanswered so I assume they aren't really arsed about selling).

izzyishavingababyAGAIN Sat 17-Nov-12 15:35:48

YABU I once sold something I almost gave away to someone who offered me £300 BIN

pigletmania Sat 17-Nov-12 15:35:59

Exactly I would rather £20 than 99p who's the idiot!

I8toys Sat 17-Nov-12 15:45:03

Not me -The potential buyer was abusive in his response to us that the answer was no. It went for a lot more than the offer of £20.

treas Sat 17-Nov-12 15:49:31

What an ignorant attitude Mousefunk - if you are trying to sell an item surely you try your upmost to help.

Why is it silly to ask about arm length on a dress you've given just the size for? It stops people having to try an return items and giving you bad feed back - duh!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now