to find this vegetarian menu option rather uninspiring?

(249 Posts)
Melpomene Thu 15-Nov-12 19:23:20

Our family are going to stay in a hotel tomorrow night. A relatively smart place, with a spa and a '2AA rosette award winning River Room Restaurant'. The dds and I are vegetarian, so I had a look at the hotel's menu on their website. The options for main course include:

- Line caught skate wing pan fried with capers, lemon, nut brown butter - £17 (sounds nice if you eat fish)

- Roast cornfed chicken breast, sage, onion, bread sauce - £15 (sounds nice if you eat chicken)

- Plate of carrots (vegetarian) - £12.95 hmm

To be fair, they do also have a tomato risotto - but on what planet does a 'plate of carrots' count as a main course? And how can you justify charging £12.95 for it?

I think we'll be visiting a restaurant in the town instead.

TiggyD Fri 16-Nov-12 17:21:44
StepAwayFromTheEcclesCakes Fri 16-Nov-12 18:39:56

For the menu... any roasted and stuffed veg works well covered in mozzarella, Homity pie is another fave here as is a veggie sausage casserole with butter beans served in a big yorkshire pud. puff pastry topped in roasted veg and cheese looks yummy and is well tasty as an alternative to a tart.

Namechangeforapropertythread Fri 16-Nov-12 19:09:42

Did anyone ask? Can someone please please ask on their facebook page please...

TiggyD Fri 16-Nov-12 19:16:08

I can't ask. I'm keeping my Facebook identity a secret from all the mumsnet weirdos.

Melpomene Fri 16-Nov-12 19:41:58

OP here. I peeked into the hotel restaurant earlier this evening; it was deserted so I picked up a menu to check, and the menu was indeed the same as the one on the website, with 'plate of carrots' for £12.95. There were two waitresses chatting on the other side of the restaurant but they ignored me!

We then went to a nearby restaurant called Spaghetti John's, which had a choice of 5 or 6 vegetarian main courses and some truly spectacular raspberry sorbet.

showtunesgirl Fri 16-Nov-12 19:49:59

shock I just twigged. I've been to this hotel before YEARS ago. I did a corporate acting gig there. I am afraid to say that I did not get a chance to eat in the restaurant but I think they DID lay on a buffet for us which was ok.

Shame about the menu - the hotel looks like it is in a lovely setting.

QueenStromba Fri 16-Nov-12 19:59:35

Please go back and ask them what the plate of carrots is thanks

strictlovingmum Fri 16-Nov-12 20:13:10

That is awful OPshock £12.95 for plate of diced carrots and as for the tomato risotto, well that is just boring their 2AA needs to be reconsidered.
It is the poor effort that get's to me in those posh eateries, they obviously can get away with it.

I am not a chef, but this is what I cooked for last week dinner with friends who are(both) vegetarian.

Goat's cheese and roasted vegetables stuck, red wine reduction

Bell pepper stuffed with Moroccan cous cous served on the bed of creamed spinach

Chocolate tart with home made lavender ice creamsmile

Print this and discretely leave it with reception of the hotel upon leaving.grin

They are taking a piss.

stubbornstains Fri 16-Nov-12 20:19:43

Somebody get in touch with Jay Rayner or AA Gill. I'd love to see them do a hatchet job on this place.

showtunesgirl Fri 16-Nov-12 20:21:17

Jay Rayner is very responsive on Twitter.

Look at the tripadvisor reviews.

'Nuff said.

grin

Vivalebeaver Fri 16-Nov-12 20:56:21

121st out of 156 restaurants in Bedford. That's quite dire isn't it!

MidnightHag Fri 16-Nov-12 21:03:47

Dreadful spelling too [snob]

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Fri 16-Nov-12 21:27:25

The scallop cut in three is a genius touch!

thenightsky Fri 16-Nov-12 21:53:00

Ive typed a question on their FB page... now shall I hit 'share'?

The responses to the reviews are ridiculous in some parts.
Customer: Disinterested staff on reception.
GManager: However we would stress that our reception team are not disinterested

eh?

Namechangeforapropertythread Fri 16-Nov-12 21:53:24

yes

thenightsky Fri 16-Nov-12 21:54:44

eeek.. done it!

Cahoots Fri 16-Nov-12 22:01:14

It looks awful.
Carrots for £12.95 shock shock shock

TheBigKidsDidIt Fri 16-Nov-12 22:10:10

Well done thenightsky. Surely it's a misprint and should be in the side dishes?

EcoLady Fri 16-Nov-12 22:14:13

Loving the Trip Advisor comments, especially the description of the receptionist who "has the people skills of a lemon" grin

4 people "like" thenightsky's fb comment already... how many of us are going to be unintentionally outed as MNers here! grin

thenightsky Fri 16-Nov-12 22:20:49

Oh I don't care if people know who I am. grin

ICantStandLosing Fri 16-Nov-12 22:33:23

grin Toffeecaramel. That's one of my favourite Royle Family episodes

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now