to find this vegetarian menu option rather uninspiring?

(249 Posts)
Melpomene Thu 15-Nov-12 19:23:20

Our family are going to stay in a hotel tomorrow night. A relatively smart place, with a spa and a '2AA rosette award winning River Room Restaurant'. The dds and I are vegetarian, so I had a look at the hotel's menu on their website. The options for main course include:

- Line caught skate wing pan fried with capers, lemon, nut brown butter - £17 (sounds nice if you eat fish)

- Roast cornfed chicken breast, sage, onion, bread sauce - £15 (sounds nice if you eat chicken)

- Plate of carrots (vegetarian) - £12.95 hmm

To be fair, they do also have a tomato risotto - but on what planet does a 'plate of carrots' count as a main course? And how can you justify charging £12.95 for it?

I think we'll be visiting a restaurant in the town instead.

RuleBritannia Thu 15-Nov-12 21:52:33

And tartare sauce instead of tartar sauce.

Frankly, it looks as if furriners have drawn up this menu. Well, the menu you read rather than the one you eat.

ceeveebee Thu 15-Nov-12 21:59:31

Tempted to email the restaurant with a link to this thread but they might work out who melpomene is and spit in all her food...

Rest assured the cattle on their steak menu were content & grass fed.

I hope the carrots had a happy life.

stubbornstains Thu 15-Nov-12 22:03:41

Oh yes saralyn, I was grin in India to see that it's meat eaters who are the inferior beings over there.......Lovely feeling.

tethersend Thu 15-Nov-12 22:04:05

When I was vegetarian, we went for a meal in France- the meat-eaters had some sort of stroganoff with rice- the vegetarian option was a piece of cheese. With rice, of course.

NorbertDentressangle Thu 15-Nov-12 22:08:28

tethersend - we went to a very 'naice' restaurant in Ile de Re for a family celebration and notified them in advance that there was a vegetarian (ie.me) in the party.

The main course was a plate of veg, drizzled in olive oil with huge chunks of sea salt on hmm. Bloody £££££s too!

Hahaha, that is the weirdest veggie option I've ever seen!

tethersend Thu 15-Nov-12 22:10:46

Norbert grin Having been there, I can well believe it.

Nobodythatyouwouldknow Thu 15-Nov-12 22:12:11

grin grin grin

Please do order and take a photo! DC2 would be in heaven with a plate of carrots, however at £12.95 I would not! shock I'd be pretty stuck with that menu but would settle for the risotto but am completely put off by the sound tomato jelly, bleurghk hmm

OpheliaBumps Thu 15-Nov-12 22:15:34

Haha did anyone else spot the 'rosary' Goat's cheese brulee, I so want to try that, or is it just for catholics? grin

Mind you, the 'appeRtisers' sound pretty good too.

VivaLeBeaver Thu 15-Nov-12 22:17:33

Carrot soup
Plate of carrots
Carrot cake

And a glass of carrot juice please.

FeckOffWithYourXmasBollocks Thu 15-Nov-12 22:19:07

hmm confused grin

Swanhotel Thu 15-Nov-12 22:22:58

Dear mumsnetters,

Our attention has been brought to this thread. I'm very saddened to read such disparaging remarks about our restaurant.

I would like to assure you that the dish of a plate of carrots is a favourite with vegetarians and we have received many compliments about this dish. It is not a plate of plain boiled carrots. They are dutch carrots roasted in balsamic vinegar and brown sugar and are delicious. We feel the price is a fair price for the quality of the food.

Regards

ScaryHairyMcSweary Thu 15-Nov-12 22:26:17

Swanhotel what about the Rosary Goats cheese?

Nobodythatyouwouldknow Thu 15-Nov-12 22:27:18

Ophelia I'd be worried I'd chip a tooth grin

I'd so love to see the look on the waiters face 'I'll have the plate of carrots please.....'

Swanhotel Thu 15-Nov-12 22:29:29

Rosary goats cheese is a brand of goats cheese produced at The Rosary in landford. One of our many excellent, locally sourced ingredients.

Swanhotel Thu 15-Nov-12 22:30:22

peasants

shock really?

Which one of you name changed, it has to be a misunderstanding surely?

grin grin Swanhotel
and Gwendoline "plate of fucking carrots" grin

oh well, if they're Dutch carrots....

shock we're peasants! Oh my, we're bloody commoners!

OpheliaBumps Thu 15-Nov-12 22:34:17

Oh I'm sorry to be rude about the carrot but it still doesn't excuse the appertisers and Stoneaway balck pudding.

Ps am i the only one who wonders if a dutch carrot is a relative of the camberwell carrot, well it is one of the things the dutch are famous for after all?

We have to go for a restaurant for balsamic vinegar and foreign carrots. It's just too posh for us.

OpheliaBumps Thu 15-Nov-12 22:35:33

Must proof read. Rude about the rosary, and black pudding, not balck.

exexpat Thu 15-Nov-12 22:35:59

Waitrose has Rosary goats cheese! (scroll down)

But I still don't buy the 'plate of carrots' thing.

Peevish Thu 15-Nov-12 22:36:02

Swanhotel, are you for real? I'm a lifelong vegetarian and happen to have had roast organic carrots and parsnips with balsamic vinegar and herbs for dinner tonight - a normal Thursday night at home, eaten in pyjamas while feeding my baby. It was lovely, but takes no skill to make, and is not approaching anything I would pay £17.50 for in a restaurant!

Lazy, lazy vegetarian cooking. We're not soft in the head, you know. And we can always wander down to Demuths, so anyone trying to attract vegetarians in your neck of the woods needs to pull their socks up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now