to find this vegetarian menu option rather uninspiring?

(249 Posts)
Melpomene Thu 15-Nov-12 19:23:20

Our family are going to stay in a hotel tomorrow night. A relatively smart place, with a spa and a '2AA rosette award winning River Room Restaurant'. The dds and I are vegetarian, so I had a look at the hotel's menu on their website. The options for main course include:

- Line caught skate wing pan fried with capers, lemon, nut brown butter - £17 (sounds nice if you eat fish)

- Roast cornfed chicken breast, sage, onion, bread sauce - £15 (sounds nice if you eat chicken)

- Plate of carrots (vegetarian) - £12.95 hmm

To be fair, they do also have a tomato risotto - but on what planet does a 'plate of carrots' count as a main course? And how can you justify charging £12.95 for it?

I think we'll be visiting a restaurant in the town instead.

joanbyers Tue 20-Nov-12 14:18:11

parsnips, say?

And carrot cake as a main dish?
I'm sorry. I may be a pleb. But that is not dinner. And I am vegetarian

FellatioNelson Tue 20-Nov-12 14:18:47

That MUST be a mistake surely? grin

Either way it's bloody hilarious. Perhaps the chef just hates vegetarians.

thenightsky Tue 20-Nov-12 14:21:31
daddyorchipsdaddyorchips Tue 20-Nov-12 14:22:20

Um...the photo of the plate of carrots looks vair vair unappetising!

So why don't they write an explanation of it on their menu?! Not that I would want to eat that meal particularly anyway, but it does sound slightly more appetising than 'plate of carrots' confused

Cahooots Tue 20-Nov-12 14:23:06

'Plate of carrots is a warm carrot mousse , carrot & potato terrine, spiced & coriander carrot cake, butter sauce, baby carrots, carrot puree, I will post a picture of one Chef has just made'.

...umm, that's still a plate of carrots.

Mrskbpw Tue 20-Nov-12 14:23:43

How many calories do you reckon is in that plate of carrots? About 100? You would be starving about 10 minutes later.

BreconBeBuggered Tue 20-Nov-12 14:25:00

And who let the dog puke on the plate whilst Chef was plating up?

ToffeeCaramel Tue 20-Nov-12 14:26:05

I think it looks quite nice, although shame there's no protein.

I'd happily pay £12.95 for that - looks really nice actually. I agree they need to jazz up the menu description a bit.

I think it looks alright. Not something I'd have as I like a good slab of meat but if I was veggie it'd be fine.

BedfordSwan Tue 20-Nov-12 14:47:43

I just wanted to give you more info on the Plate of Carrots, carrot & potato terrine, spiced & coriander carrot cake, butter sauce, baby carrots, carrot puree, it is a really nice dish I have posted an image on our FB page - www.facebook.com/pages/The-Bedford-Swan/119378151446089#!/pages/The-Bedford-Swan/119378151446089

JugglingWithPossibilities Tue 20-Nov-12 14:50:26

I agree with others that they really need to lose the cake and add some protein
- carrot and tofu something ? or carrot and lentil soup ?
Looks quite pretty though - thanks for link smile

TheBigKidsDidIt Tue 20-Nov-12 14:53:32

Bedford Swan - that looks yum but it would be good to elaborate on 'a plate of carrots' on the menu. Thank you for coming on here to show us.

BreconBeBuggered Tue 20-Nov-12 14:53:50

Can you post a picture of a different main course so that we can compare?
I'm a veggie who loves to eat out and I loathe going home feeling underfed compared to everyone else.
Would rather have carrots than quorn, though, so well done on avoiding that, BedfordSwan

Im amazed the chef can be arsed to actually mousse a fecking carrot, but can't stretch to making something that resembles an adult meal??

Plate of carrots now showing on Facebook page!

Frontpaw Tue 20-Nov-12 15:43:00

Menu for a rabbit perhaps? They must be dipped in gold to cost that much, unless Michel Roux is cooking them himself. Then I'd pay that for them!

MissCellania Tue 20-Nov-12 16:03:50

I think that looks nice. I'd eat it. Better than yet another sodding mushroom risotto or veg lasagne, which is usually the veg option.

TiggyD Tue 20-Nov-12 17:02:59

Looks a bit like it's covered in...er...maybe the chef is hugely turned on by carrots?

showtunesgirl Tue 20-Nov-12 17:07:31

Not biting. That looks like a starter NOT a main course. A lot of my ILs are vegetarian and no way would their tummies be full after that.

ErikNorseman Tue 20-Nov-12 17:09:06

Oh come on! That sounds vile. Warm carrot mousse? Really? Savoury carrot cake???? No way would I want an entire meal flavoured with carrot, and it simply needs protein. It's style over substance and an outrage for £13. I know the chef has done some fancy work but the raw ingredient is 50p a kilo in tesco!
Bedfordswan- this is terrible. Tomato risotto is also dull. I would never choose to eat in your restaurant with those two options.

FellatioNelson Tue 20-Nov-12 17:23:20

Warm carrot mousse sounds like baby food. And much as I like a nice carrot I have no wish to eat an entire plate of them and little else, no matter how they have been pimped.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now