to find this vegetarian menu option rather uninspiring?

(249 Posts)
Melpomene Thu 15-Nov-12 19:23:20

Our family are going to stay in a hotel tomorrow night. A relatively smart place, with a spa and a '2AA rosette award winning River Room Restaurant'. The dds and I are vegetarian, so I had a look at the hotel's menu on their website. The options for main course include:

- Line caught skate wing pan fried with capers, lemon, nut brown butter - £17 (sounds nice if you eat fish)

- Roast cornfed chicken breast, sage, onion, bread sauce - £15 (sounds nice if you eat chicken)

- Plate of carrots (vegetarian) - £12.95 hmm

To be fair, they do also have a tomato risotto - but on what planet does a 'plate of carrots' count as a main course? And how can you justify charging £12.95 for it?

I think we'll be visiting a restaurant in the town instead.

Sunnywithachanceofshowers Thu 15-Nov-12 19:26:01

Plate of carrots? That's beyond awful.

noodleone Thu 15-Nov-12 19:26:22

Vegetarian option is always risotto if it's posh. Goats cheese tart for middle of the road aces and pasta bake if it's a pub. That seems to be rule!

VivaLeBeaver Thu 15-Nov-12 19:26:53

That's terrible. I'd be tempted to tell them. Even tomato risotto is a bit of a crap choice.

Thats so funny!

KatzGold Thu 15-Nov-12 19:29:07

Noodleone - you forgot the veggie all time classic of mushroom straganoff

TiggyD Thu 15-Nov-12 19:29:40

Maybe they just don't want to cater for vegetarians?

CharlotteBronteSaurus Thu 15-Nov-12 19:30:30

that's so unbelievably crap that I didn't believe you until I googled!
please accept my apologies for questioning your honest nature.

Chopchopbusybusy Thu 15-Nov-12 19:30:40

I think someone has been taking the piss and forgotten to delete it. I would be incredibly disappointed with tomato risotto as well though. I'd phone them tonight and ask for an alternative to be available.

SarkyWench Thu 15-Nov-12 19:31:04

Pmsl smile

AndMiffyWentToSleep Thu 15-Nov-12 19:31:57

noodle yes risotto or something with goats cheese seem to be standard options round my way - it does my head in!

But a plate of carrots? Seriously? Yeesh!

Plate of carrots shock

Unless the plate is made from carrots and has loads of Fat Duck style carrot mini-dishes on or something?

ohmeohmy Thu 15-Nov-12 19:34:10

Bet Heston thought of that.

ceeveebee Thu 15-Nov-12 19:37:17

Maybe it's like 'carrot three ways', roast, mashed and gratin

Melpomene Thu 15-Nov-12 19:38:44

Yes, it could be some sort of selection of carrot dishes. Still not very appealing though.

Or maybe it is some sort of Christmas joke and they're pretending it's a menu option for visiting reindeer?

That's hardly a meal! Absolutely no protein for a veggie. You'll be starving again in an hour.

RedZombie Thu 15-Nov-12 19:40:08

My DS would pick that if it was in the menu, he loves carrots.

ceeveebee Thu 15-Nov-12 19:41:38

I was on a work trip once in the Alsace region of France and there was a big dinner with traditional food - sausages, sauerkraut etc. the vege option was just a plate of cabbage!!

EuroShagmore Thu 15-Nov-12 19:41:44

In light of the price, I would hope they would be gold plated carrots....

Melpomene Thu 15-Nov-12 19:47:57

24 carat carrots?

NinaHeart Thu 15-Nov-12 19:49:11

That is unbelievably bad. Surely it HAS to be a joke? Am gobsmacked at their audacity.

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Thu 15-Nov-12 19:49:27

Are they expecting an influx of rabbits?

ihavenofuckingclue Thu 15-Nov-12 20:25:35

That's horrendous.

My local steak house has better options than that.

That's dreadful.

They can't even be bothered to give it a fancy title like carrot d'orange or les petite carrots sur la plate.

DangerousMouse Thu 15-Nov-12 20:32:17

That's so awful it's funny! Link and shame OP

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now