I wish I had nice neighbours

(36 Posts)
ROUS Wed 14-Nov-12 17:44:18

My neighbour has just deliberately picked a verbal fight with me. It's not the first time. Evidently we said 'Good Morning' to his wife in an aggressive manner. His shed is botch job, upside down wall and bad felt job but somehow it's our fault it leaks.

I don't want a 'best' friend living next door but it would be nice to have someone to occasionally smile at and be nice to my children.

SugarplumMary Thu 15-Nov-12 13:01:28

I suppose you at least know the cause sweetkitty and it may well die down when the work is all done with and the disruption is all over.

Our crime seems to be to exist - that we were a family. I think DuchessofMalfi’s DH is on to something - may try and factor that in when we move.

It’s not the original buyers on our estate who are now quiet old that cause the issues they often seem to like young DC it is the second wave like our problem neighbours.

Now I think about it the two other families down our road trying to move have neighbours like ours - family late teenagers early adults DC with late 50 early 60s parents. You get noise from the teenagers/young adult for few years while they live there or visit but open hostility lack of consideration to young DC from the parents.

You’re just not going to get that age range buying these houses they are family sized.

It is hard not to take it personally at times –though I understand from the things they complain about its not based on any logic it’s just ‘us’. We will move away soon hopefully.

After 4yrs with lovely neighbours we have recently had a young couple move in next door to us.

They are inconsiderate arseholes!
We've had to ask them not to drive over our lawn to park infront of their house.
They come home and put their music on at 2am.
scratch around like rats in the bedroom joined to ours till 3am on a regular basis so I have to sleep wearing earplugs.
They have loud sex that not only can be heard in our bedroom but you can hear the bed springs and banging out in the back garden.

I dream of winning the lottery so I can buy a house in the middle of nowhere.

MammaTJ Thu 15-Nov-12 13:10:58

The ones opposite me are obsessed with playing ball games in the road and on occasion deliberately kick it against my house. They report me to the RSPCA, SS, the HA and anyone else they can think of.

The funniest was when they decided to report me to the HA, yet again for my dog barking. The only reason my dog barks is because they are banging the ball against my fence. So, they banged tha ball and filmed my dog barking!! They also filmed themselves banging the ball. They still showed it to the HA! I didn't get in trouble, they did!!

Of course I look after my DC and my dog so those reports make no difference to my life.

The one behind me is their friend and took to saying 'wobble wobble wobble' as I walked down the road (I am overweight), until I said she should pay more attention to her daughter weight than mine!!

The one right next door is fab, I couldn't pick her out of a line up!!

BonaDea Thu 15-Nov-12 13:12:11

OP, that's horrible. Be sickly sweetly nice maybe?

We're so lucky with our neighbours, they're lovely.

Pinkpeacock Thu 15-Nov-12 13:13:02

Bad neighbours are awful, I am so sorry. Mine has just brought round 6 bottles of wine and a bottle of brandy because he wanted us to sample the lovely drinks from his country (South Africa). As we live in the Middle East, alcohol is not cheap and it was such a lovely gesture. Am just waiting until a respectable time to open one...
I hope they calm down, it is a horrible feeling. I have a theory that not very nice people make bad neighbours, it helps to think you wouldn't want them to be your friends anyway.

DuchessofMalfi Thu 15-Nov-12 13:17:57

The one right next door is fab, I couldn't pick her out of a line up!! I'm starting to think that's the best kind of neighbour MammaTJ grin

MammaTJ Thu 15-Nov-12 13:25:54

Oh it is Duchess. These are an improvement on a previous neighbour. The house behind used to be occupied by a delightful person who shouted in front of my DC 'I will throw a brick through your fucking window and make sure it hits your fucking kids', set fire to her house several times and only moved because she was offered a three bedroom house just as SS took her two children from her. She set fire to that house during a visit from the children and did so several times until she burnt it out completely!!

sweetkitty Thu 15-Nov-12 15:46:53

We actually do have a prostitute living on our estate, apparently according to her neighbour she has a website! The house across from us contains the perfect neighbours, they don't actually live there, in the 7 years we've lived here no one has stayed there, every few weeks a man drives up, then a woman, they stay for a few hours then leave, don't know what's going on there then wink but it's a 3 bed family home, don't know who could afford that to be empty for years, it's very tidily kept though.

StuntGirl Thu 15-Nov-12 16:19:52

I know the feeling! Our neighbours on one side are nice to us and we chat when we see them, but they hate each other and scream and shout every single night. Then blast loud music for hours on end.

The neighbours on the other side took a dislike to us before we ever even met them, no idea what we did. They don't argue as frequently as the other side but before the husband moved out they had awful slanging matches too. They're just noisy and loud, will holler at each other rather than just speak normally. Dog barks all the time for hours on end. They think nothing of just coming in our back garden without asking. Absolutely hate them.

When we next move I'm determined it will be a semi detached, at least if our neighbour is a dickhead there'll only be one to deal with!

ROUS Thu 15-Nov-12 16:45:54

How about a Mumsnet approved neighbours scheme?

Pleasant smiles.
Willing to help in an emergency.
Pleasant chat twice a year at community events.
District Zoombie defence plan in place.

sweetkitty Thu 15-Nov-12 16:52:20

After years of living in flats with neighbours from hell, the first house we bought we were insistent it had to be detached, ideally detached in a field away from everyone else but funds didn't run to that unfortunately.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now