Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think people are just plain INSANIO about Christmas?

(306 Posts)
HullyEastergully Wed 14-Nov-12 17:23:36

In many different ways.

So much upset and pain and worry and strategising.

It's not good.

PortBlacksantaClaus Wed 14-Nov-12 18:05:29

sparklingbrook - i have a theory that the euro will collapse and the £ will suffer and eventually we will all just be trading Amazon Vouchers....

TheArmadillo Wed 14-Nov-12 18:05:38

I've got christmas just about right now after 30 years of practice I think.

People I like (PILs and dh's granma) come to lunch which I go all out for but I do love cooking. SIL & her dh (who I also like) will come round in the afternoon. And everyone will be nice and happy and having fun (which is why I like them). PIL will bring plenty of booze. I have got my big lunch planned, decided on final recipes bar one thing I have to try out. Tea will be just pudding as we can never fit it in at lunch time as we eat to much of the main and no one will be hungry for much more.

Lunch will be turkey roast dinner, but a bit more effort than usual - fancy sides essentially.

I have whittled my present list down to 8 families and one individual and they are all getting homemade gifts whether they like them or not . I have already made 5 xmas cakes in a jar and bought the non-perishable ingrediants and wrapping for the rest.

Then just dh & kids to buy for. And I've still got to get the kids advent calendars.

Have work do which I will enjoy. And we've promised to try to organise a meal out with our friends before xmas.

I don't do decorations beyond tree, don't give out christmas cards, don't give everyone and his mother presents. I spread out the work (and dh does his share), and if it gets too much and I can't be bothered then I don't do it. I don't see the point in getting stressed out over something that is supposed to be fun.

I don't get the martyrdom, overstressed vibe that people seem to love so at christmas hmm If you hate it you're doing it wrong.

MulledWineOnTheBusLady Wed 14-Nov-12 18:08:13

I was all agog there Armadillo waiting to hear whether you did a specially horrible evening meal for people you didn't like.

Lizzylou Wed 14-Nov-12 18:08:15

YANBU
Just drink throughout December, will numb it all.

And totally agree with fatsatsuma

amothersplaceisinthewrong Wed 14-Nov-12 18:08:22

I have just done half my Xmas shopping and wrapped the presents and written my cards. This is the first time ever I have been so organised! Xmas dinner is just a roast for a few more people which DH and I cook together. Kids do the table and trimming, my Mum and sister do the washing up. And we avoid Aldi, Morrisons and Asda like the plague!

Sparklingbrook Wed 14-Nov-12 18:09:05

I think you may be right Port. grin

RudolphUcker Wed 14-Nov-12 18:10:23

Oh no no no, I love it. Insanio and all.

Well I have bought most of my gifts already, but my excuse is that I have invited both lots of family to a get-together at the end of November where there will be an exchange of bags of presents (but no unwrapping!).

This means that we can then spend the actual Christmas holidays loafing about eating chocolate with the DC.

fatsatsuma Wed 14-Nov-12 18:14:12

Lizzylou grin

HullyEastergully Wed 14-Nov-12 18:14:42

Insanio is a great word. I love it.

I am having 21 for Christmas dins. Do you hear me moaning and fussing? No. Alcohol and games and dh can do the dinner

Molepomandmistletoe Wed 14-Nov-12 18:17:02

Dins?

Hully! Please! Grub, surely? or a troughing sesh, chow down, etc etc ..there's loads..just not DINS.

Molepomandmistletoe Wed 14-Nov-12 18:17:33

It sounds great though, can I come?

HullyEastergully Wed 14-Nov-12 18:18:02

I like dins

and insanio

so there

Badvocsanta Wed 14-Nov-12 18:18:56

Insanio?
Dins?
Hully, are you drunk?
If so, fine, if not....(shakes head)

HullyEastergully Wed 14-Nov-12 18:19:38

We are going to have a big Cooks Clash. There are four people who fancy themselves as Chefs Excellent, all big big people with big big egos...we are going to have a chef's table so they can all kill each other while the rest of us get on with it. Better than the telly.

Molepomandmistletoe Wed 14-Nov-12 18:20:18

Holly must be drunk. PLEASE tell me you are drunk? Please?

Molepomandmistletoe Wed 14-Nov-12 18:20:57

Seriously though, that sounds like fun. Hope you enjoy it.

HullyEastergully Wed 14-Nov-12 18:21:14

Stone cold

MotherfuckingMorrisMan Wed 14-Nov-12 18:21:54

I absolutely love, worship and adore Christmas.

It is just really nice to have all that time off work, spending it with dd, generally holed up in the house eating.

All that cheese.

A TREE in the sitting room.

I don't get fretty. I used to. But fuck it.

Plus I can have the annual laugh at all those people who put 2 x 6 pints of milk in their trolleys with a frantic look on their faces on Christmas Eve. Why do they need all that milk? Are they having milkshake for dinner?

I LOATHE New Years Eve though. What a load of old bollocks, and Jools Holland.

Molepomandmistletoe Wed 14-Nov-12 18:22:01

<passes wine >

PortBlacksantaClaus Wed 14-Nov-12 18:22:39

And dogs ... don't forget the dogs ... between us my family have at least <counts fingers> 8 and i am also "fostering" dogs for a few old couples on my road when they have other places to be....

Anyone got any random spare dogs over Christmas - throw them my way....

PortBlacksantaClaus Wed 14-Nov-12 18:23:27

Mmmmm Cheese....

RudolphUcker Wed 14-Nov-12 18:23:54

God, me too. Fecking Amateur Drinkers night and forced jollity. Yeuch.
And crapness. Nobody knows Auld Lang Syne, but everyone tries to sing it. That makes me stabby, the crapness.

HullyEastergully Wed 14-Nov-12 18:23:55

Not CHEESE <runs screaming>

Lizzylou Wed 14-Nov-12 18:26:09

Oh yes, cheese, we already have a list going.

Bloody hate New Years Eve too. SIL is thrilled as they get PILs free babysitting every year as me and DH just stay in, get a bit drunk, do the annual deed and are asleep by 10.30pm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now