To not like this top that a little boy was wearing...?

(68 Posts)
MrsWolowitz Wed 14-Nov-12 14:08:57

At playgroup this morning there was a little boy about 2 years old wearing a top saying "anything girls can do boys can do better"

I was [shocked] and actually pretty angry

Am I being over-sensitive or is that a horrible crappy thing to have emblazoned across anyones chest let alone your little boys?

DoingTheBestICan Wed 14-Nov-12 14:10:21

I wouldn't get myself worked up over it.

HousewifefromBethlehem Wed 14-Nov-12 14:10:35

Yabu he can't even read it grin

I assume he wasn't BF... It would piss me off too.

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 14-Nov-12 14:12:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

valiumredhead Wed 14-Nov-12 14:12:35

I got REALLY steamed up last year over a Father's Day card which said " Shhhh don't tell mum but I love you more Dad" I was frothing for days over that one!

numbum Wed 14-Nov-12 14:12:58

Shocked and angry over a tshirt? YABU and over sensitive

numbum Wed 14-Nov-12 14:13:37

Why would it piss people off? confused

OldCatLady Wed 14-Nov-12 14:16:02

Well its just like that song/rhyme 'anything you can do, I can do better' but for boys, it is a joke...I doubt the 2YO actually believes it....confused why you're a angry.

ChippingInLovesAutumn Wed 14-Nov-12 14:16:02

Daft question really, how can you be unreasonable in 'not liking' something. You can like or dislike whatever you please, it's what you do about it that is U or NU.

You need to get out more if this shocked you.

I've seen it both ways. It's not something I'd buy - but it's certainly not shocking. Also, if he's at playgroup, I seriously doubt any of the kids were reading it and feeling buoyed up or deflated by it hmm

In short, you are being over-sensitive - but you wont be alone in that, there will be plenty of others agreeing and frothing over it.

BooyhooRemembering Wed 14-Nov-12 14:16:08

i wouldn't buy it but i wouldn't get angry over it.

MrsWolowitz Wed 14-Nov-12 14:17:11

Num i know that this is nothing like the t-shirt in the OP but a re you suggesting that its always over-sensitive to get angry over a shirt?

Even things like this ??

MrsWolowitz Wed 14-Nov-12 14:18:43

I just doon't like it, I don't like the 'boys are stupid - throw rocks at them' stuff either.

i think its pig ignorant and just hmm

People buying T-shirts are TRYING to communicate something, otherwise why print words on them? IMO if they wear T-shirts like the one in your PP, they are communicating that they are a complete twunt. Putting your baby in a shirt that denigrates girls, IS saying something to everyone in the room. That's why you do it, surely.

Mrswolowitz I think the rape tshirt might be an entirely different kettle of fish!!

hazleweatherfieldgirldetective Wed 14-Nov-12 14:22:49

So what did the nursery/his parents say when you complained?

MrsWolowitz Wed 14-Nov-12 14:24:33

secret I know thats why I said "i know that this is nothing like the t-shirt in the OP" I was just highlighting that it is ok to be annoyed by something on a t-shirt.

MrsTP thats what I think, otherwise why have anything written on the top? or just gibberish? It is a message and a pretty crappy one at that imo

wigglesrock Wed 14-Nov-12 14:25:24

Its not my thing but it doesn't anger me. My daughter has a top that has several female superheroes on it and it says "Look out boys". a friend told me that she didn't like it as she has sons [shrug]

MrsWolowitz Wed 14-Nov-12 14:26:35

hazle I didn't as I wasn't sure if I was being over-sensitive. To be honest I'm still not sure if I am or not.

I don't doubt its a pretty ignorant and stupid thing to put on a top but whether its generally offensive I don't know, I might just be being OTT by getting annoyed.

hazleweatherfieldgirldetective Wed 14-Nov-12 14:30:29

I think you possibly are being oversensitive to be angry and shocked. The rape tshirt deserves that response, I don't think the little boy's tshirt does.

It's a silly sentiment, and not one I would choose to emblazon on my own son, however I have seen DNiece wearing a bib that read 'Girls rule, Boys drool' and it didn't offend me. It also didn't seem to offend her eight year old brother who spent the whole day pointing out the hilarity of it.

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 14-Nov-12 19:42:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

degutastic Wed 14-Nov-12 19:45:29

MrsWolowitz is it wrong that I kinda like the w anchor t shirt on the page with the (horrible) rape one? Not that I'd wear it, natch...

WilsonFrickett Wed 14-Nov-12 19:51:58

It's just the same old sexist bull. That said, someone bought the 'boys are stupid, throw rocks at them' stuff so obviously there's money to be made out of stupid parents who buy into lame stereotypes.

candr Wed 14-Nov-12 19:53:01

Some of those were pretty bad but did giggle at the Mumsnet one. Don't like shirts that have sexual or derogitry? slogans on. I think some parents don't read what is on tops before they buy them and others just don't care.

My dd has a jumper which just says, 'girls are better'.

Meh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now