To expect my tonsillectomy to be the most painful thing EVER?

(94 Posts)
Goodbyetonsils Mon 12-Nov-12 16:52:21

Have posted on a few other boards about my nerves over my tonsillectomy- which was due to go ahead last Friday but has been moved to this Thursday. I have read hundreds of horror stories, "3rd most painful operation recovery as an adult" "I beg of you if you're over 18 don't get them out" "more painful than giving birth to 3 babies and a hysterectomy".

I am now in full panic mode, I have had a baby and my body surprised me by giving me a relatively painless birth so I was incredibly fortunate. I have, however had a paper cut in my eye which was by far the most painful thing I've ever been through! AIBU to think this is going to be the worst pain ever?! I know people say children have it so can't be that bad but as a child apparently their nerves aren't fully developed and it's much tougher for an adult. I'm terrified!

Sparklesandglitter Tue 13-Nov-12 21:40:20

BTW the infection was possibly my fault as I smoked a couple of cigs after about a week blush

MrsMelons Tue 13-Nov-12 21:44:24

Yes was awful pain but not for long really. Eating toast etc really helps to heal quicker. The pain will be over fairly quickly so nothing too much to worry about.

Goodbyetonsils Wed 14-Nov-12 19:24:11

Yes I plan on going to A&E if the pain is horrific... It's D Day tomorrow, I am beyond terrified now packing hospital bag. Read a news story on how Miley Cyrus' brother almost died from having his tonsils out recently which hasn't done much to ease my nerves. I keep thinking "this time tomorrow I will be in the worst amount of pain I have ever been in" shock. I am due at the hospital for 11.30 and then prob won't be seen until around 2 and no one is allowed to wait with me sad

When you see the anaesthetist tomorrow tell them your worries about the pain. I was worried about being sick and so I was given extra anti-emetic as soon as I woke up. They may be able to help you with extra pain meds.

It will honestly be worth it. I'm so glad I had mine out.

Well, you're definitely not BU to be scared, but YWBVU if you don't have them out!
Have bobbed back to wish you all the best for tomorrow, and the pain honestly won't be that bad- just make sure you keep on top of the drugs, you must take them regularly. The mistake is to think it's not hurting and stop...

Marzipanface Wed 14-Nov-12 19:42:33

There will be plenty of pain relief available. It really won't be that bad.

It's going to be ok.

Goodbyetonsils Wed 14-Nov-12 19:46:40

I am worried about being sick too but mainly the pain... What if I wake up in agony but can't get their attention?

Boomerwang Wed 14-Nov-12 19:54:43

Why does it hurt more as an adult? I had mine out at about age 10 and I only remember the pain when I swallowed the toast they made me eat. I remember nothing after that. I didn't even know what a tonsil was, had no idea what they'd done to me just that my throat hurt.

Diclofenac is a wonder drug, though, imo. I take it when I get RSI pains and about 3 minutes after taking one you start to feel a warm glow come over the affected area. It's lovely. Take it!

Goodbyetonsils Wed 14-Nov-12 19:58:13

Your nerves aren't fully developed there as a child confused

On the upside, my surgeon is incredibly handsome lol. Unfortunately he will see me at my worst. I bought a humidifier today, stocked up on chewing gum. Anything I am forgetting?

piglettsmummy Wed 14-Nov-12 20:04:57

oh dear me!!! i had mine out when i was six!! it didnt hurt anymore than waking up with a sore throat, and when i mean sore throat i mean the kind you get when u have a cold!!! in all honesty the pessary that they stuck up my arse twice a day hurt far more!!! theres no need to worry at all!! tbf! ive had headaches that were worse!!!

griphook Wed 14-Nov-12 20:05:29

I had mine out at 23, honestly it just a bit worse than tonsillitis.

I threw up about 15 times before my op, basically I sat outside the toliet on a chair until my name was called. I was very nervous.

But it was fine, it hurt a bit but the pain killers worked and they gave me a spray. When I woke up from the op my ears hurt and I really believed they had operated on my ears!

When you get home eat toast, soft soggy toast as scraps of the bacteria ( well that was advice given years ago)

Good luck.

FiveFlowers Wed 14-Nov-12 20:07:07

I posted on the worst pain thread and it didn't even occur to me to put my tonsillectomy on there.

I had mine out at 21 and it hurt afterwards but wasn't too bad - nothing at all like childbirth!

Just be careful and look after yourself, I tried to do too much too quickly and ended up with a throat infection which prolonged the pain a bit.

You'll be fine and it will be worth it.

Hope your doing ok and not in to much pain Goodbyetonsilsthanks

Goodbyetonsils Sat 17-Nov-12 16:17:23

Aw thank you TheInvisiblePoster, I am doing surprisingly well although I am very aware of people who warn it gets much worse! Just sleeping lots and have managed to eat normal meals- risotto and shepherds pie smile. Don't want to count my chickens though I am expecting to wake up in a lot more pain days 3/5

LivingInAPinkBauble Sun 18-Nov-12 09:05:11

Glad you are doing ok OP. I had the inevitable tonsils and adenoids out and gromits (sp!) in when I was 6, seemed to be all the rage in the 80s! I remember it all quite clearly, also the constant pains before the op, was on so much antibiotics that my adult teeth came through with little enamel, compared to so many fewer ear and throat infections. Enjoy being tonsillitis free, and hope you get well soon thanks

LivingInAPinkBauble Sun 18-Nov-12 09:05:59

Sorry, should read much fewer infections after the op!

maleview70 Sun 18-Nov-12 11:40:50

I woke up after my op at 28 thinking "what's all the fuss about"

After going back to sleep an hour or so later, I woke up in the night in agony once the painkiller had worn off. A quick top up and it went again.

I got an infection and was off work sick for 6 weeks.

It wasn't a great time that's for sure!

SkinnyMarinkADink Sun 18-Nov-12 21:43:41

goodbye glad to hear your doing ok.

Hopefully you will get lucky and have an easy recovery.

Jlee4 Fri 19-Sep-14 04:01:44

Just wanted to share my experience of having my tonsils removed for any one who is searching the net before having their tonsils removed because i did before my surgery and all i found was people saying how horrible and painful it is but now i know for myself its really not that bad at all!! I am 23 yrs old and had my very large unhealthy tonsils removed 2 days ago, i went in at 8am was in surgery room at 10:30am and put to sleep which wasnt bad, then woke up at 12pm and it was all done i woke up crying but not because of pain but coz its a side effect of waking up from anestetic and i felt fine after i fully woke up and realized where i was. They took me back to hospital room and had me on a drip all day and monitored my blood pressure and stuff and i wasnt aloud to get up until around 5pm, i ate meat and veggies for dinner and it didnt hurt a bit! My pain rating was never more then a 1 out of 10 but they still gave me pain killers just incase and a numbing liquid to swollow and also have to rinse my mouth with hydrogen peroxide. I am home now and feel fine! Just a little drowsy from medicine but pain is still a 1 out of 10 and is a lot less painful then having tonsilitis!! But everyone handles pain differently and i think i have a high tolerance for pain but i really dont think its that bad at all so dont be scared to have your tonsils out!! I just hope it stays like this for me until it fully heals smile
My doctor and nurses encouraged me to eat and drink the same day and it doesnt hurt it will help you to heal! They also recommend drinking coke believe it or not coz it helps heal the area and clean it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now