To expect my tonsillectomy to be the most painful thing EVER?

(94 Posts)
Goodbyetonsils Mon 12-Nov-12 16:52:21

Have posted on a few other boards about my nerves over my tonsillectomy- which was due to go ahead last Friday but has been moved to this Thursday. I have read hundreds of horror stories, "3rd most painful operation recovery as an adult" "I beg of you if you're over 18 don't get them out" "more painful than giving birth to 3 babies and a hysterectomy".

I am now in full panic mode, I have had a baby and my body surprised me by giving me a relatively painless birth so I was incredibly fortunate. I have, however had a paper cut in my eye which was by far the most painful thing I've ever been through! AIBU to think this is going to be the worst pain ever?! I know people say children have it so can't be that bad but as a child apparently their nerves aren't fully developed and it's much tougher for an adult. I'm terrified!

janey68 Mon 12-Nov-12 19:02:31

YANBU to be scared but I had mine out as an adult and it hurt way less than childbirth.

MikeLitoris Mon 12-Nov-12 19:04:55

I had mine out aged 16 and it was really sore for about a week after. They gave me little purple tablets to dissolve in water for pain relief. They were like little bit drops of magic. I

annielouisa Mon 12-Nov-12 20:07:38

I had my tonsils out at age about age 35 and it was not half as painful as I had been led to believe. Gargle with soluble paracetmol half an hour before eating that helps with the pain.

Scratchy food like toast speeds the recovery process. I definetly do not think it is more painful than childbirth or a hysterectomy and I had both. Good luck and quick recovery

cocolepew Mon 12-Nov-12 20:13:47

I had mine out at 42 and it was sore but no worse than a really bad bout of tonsillitis. The surgeon told me day 5 and 10 are the worse and he was right, just keep on top of your pain relief for the first few days. Don't wait until you are sore to take it.

I've also had babies and a hysterectomy and they are definitely worse.

It's worth it, I've hardly had a sore throat in the last few years since havng it.

Goodbyetonsils Mon 12-Nov-12 21:08:51

Thank you for the replies, I noticed how active this forum was so thought I'd get more responses and I have! I am 23, and suffered with seven bouts of tonsillitis this past year sad. I'm not going to lie, I almost cancelled the op last week.

And I know they don't discharge you until you have eaten toast... toast ffs. I know it's meant to be better but that's going to be hell!

They are using the traditional method (scalpel) which I think is more painful? I'm trying not to think about the op itself it makes me feel sick but I console myself with the fact I'll be out for the count, it's the after pain I'm scared of. I really pray it won't be as bad as my scratching my eye because I was literally bed bound for days in intense agony.

sillymillyb Mon 12-Nov-12 21:33:10

Oh bollocks, I have just posted about this on that most pain you have ever been in thread!

Right, listen up. YOU WILL BE FINE!!! Honest. My op went wrong, and I would still say hand on heart that it was worth it for me to have them out and I would do it again.

Pain def not as bad as childbirth. Its more endurance than intense (I found anyway) take the drugs regularly as they build up in your system.

Oh, and the toast I didn't find that bad. Steer away from mashed potato and banana though, they stung like buggery. You will lose weight and be sore throat free in no time smile

2mummies Mon 12-Nov-12 21:35:13

I am currently squirming too much having read about the pain of a paper cut in the eye cringe squirm cringe that I cannot currently read on!

pointythings Mon 12-Nov-12 21:37:06

I think compared to 7 bouts of tonsillitis in a year it will be a walk in the park. yes, it will hurt, but think of all the sore throats you won't have, all the colds you won't have, the boost to your general level of health which will help your immune system.

I've had really bad tonsillitis twice in my life, was told that if it came back they would have to come out and that is now 20 years ago, but I still remember that pain.

And childbirth was infinitely worse.

thing1andthing2 Mon 12-Nov-12 21:37:14

I had mine out when I was 28 after two bouts of quinsy.
I was given morphine, pethidine and codeine in the hospital so felt really fine (smacked off my face) to begin with. The toast in the hospital was fine! When I got home my mum offered me a bowl of warm soup and I very nearly puked, it was only by lying in bed deep breathing that I managed to keep it down. There was no way I was going to puke over newly incised tonsil cavities.
Anyway, you need to make sure you have a good prescription NSAID like diclofenac or naproxen and also some strong codeine. Take them alternately every four hours day and night. The day five thing is right, you will feel shit as you recover from the anaesthetic. I turned a corner around day 8 but I was still taking the painkillers up to 2.5 weeks after the op.
having said all that, I would definitely have it done again in the same situation, I haven't had one serious sore throat since (5 years) and it has absolutely changed my life. I used not to take any risks with my sleep and my health for fear of coming down with tonsilitis and now I just get on with things and don't worry.

Wrongmoreoftenthannot Mon 12-Nov-12 21:39:16

I had mine out about a month ago. I'm 34 btw!

It was v sore and I had a bleed but I echo those who say eat toast as soon as you can. It really helps the healing process and after about 10 days I felt loads better.

I ate loads of jelly but stayed away from v cold and v hot foods as they burned and anything tomato based as that felt like drinking drain cleaner sad

Good luck it will be fine! Just make sure you keep taking the pain killers grin

My friend and I had them out at almost the same time in our early 20s. He suffered a bit more, but I found it fine. I was sent home with a biiiiiiiig ol' bag of drugs- literally, a paper bag like Americans have their shopping in- and tbh, the worst thing was the constipation owing to the drugs!

It in no way compared to the pain of the quinze (sp?) the last time I got tonsillitis, that had me weeping and threatening to stab myself in the ear confused

Iceaddict Mon 12-Nov-12 21:44:27

I had mine out as a teenager and remember being surprised, it was not as bad as I had imagined. Wisdom teeth is a million times worse IMHO.

2mummies Mon 12-Nov-12 21:47:27

Goodbyetonsils right, nearly recovered from the eye thing eek Good luck for Thursday and the days after. It sounds very unpleasant but do the right thing and it sounds like you'll be right as rain after a week or so. A small price to pay for (lots of attention and sympathy wink ) and no more tonsillitis smile Hope you make a speedy recovery.

babybarrister Mon 12-Nov-12 21:51:59

I had mine out at 18 too and also after a quinzey - the pain of the op was nowhere near as bad as childbirth, doing my back in or the quinze itself - you will be fine - shame you are not having it done just before Halloween as my throat started bleeding again and I was like Draculagrin - seriously it is finesmile

cocolepew Mon 12-Nov-12 22:10:16

I ate so much after having mine out I put on half a stone in two weeks ! I took an infection but was still up and about after a few days.

You won't regret getting them out.

Catkinsthecatinthehat Mon 12-Nov-12 22:19:44

Seven bouts of tonsillitis in a year? Good good woman, have them out! Honestly, it's slightly ickier and more painful than a bad bout of tonsillitis, but not much, and it will be the very last time in your life you'll have a horribly painful throat.

Another thing to bear in mind if you're considering cancelling is that it's not going to get better if you don't. You are just going to get bout after bout of tonsillitis, tonsil stones, a depleted immune system etc.

I mentioned earlier that I had mine out the week before Christmas. Which wasn't fun on the 25th. Also, they were short of beds so I was sent to recover on the children's ward of all places. I was the only person not to wake up with a Fred Flintstone bravery award above my bed. Bastards.

steppemum Mon 12-Nov-12 22:20:51

Had mine out at 21, pain no worse than the tonsilitis I had before. Paracetamol really helped.
Was the best thing I ever did, felt so much better afterwards, not just that no more tonsilitis, but better all over.

Bunnyjo Mon 12-Nov-12 22:27:37

I had mine out at 23. OK, I have to be honest - it is painful and not a walk in the park... But it wasn't the most painful experience - emergency surgery to remove my gallbladder after contracting peritonitis and rupturing my knee ligaments were much more painful. I got a secondary infection and needed readmitted for antibiotics and that was the most shitty part of it. Other than that, it was actually better than I expected.

The huge advantage is never suffering the sheer agonising bouts of tonsillitis every month or so. I do still get milder bouts (they don't remove all the tonsil tissue), but nowhere near as bad or as frequent. In the 2yrs before my surgery I think I had tonsillitis over 21 times and also ended up with quinsy, hence my tonsils were whipped out a few days later.

Good luck, I promise you won't regret it. The short term pain is more than worth the long term gain!

SkinnyMarinkADink Mon 12-Nov-12 22:28:40

Im going to be honest. had mine out last year..

Don't be fooled by he first couple of days. you will feel great and eat drink etc then it will hit you like a lorry running over your face a million time but beige alive at the end of it.

The pain was HORRIFIC. i had a 72 hour labour resulting in a section i would do that 6000 times rather that feel that pain again.

HOWEVER. like child birth you forget all about it and the end result is a rainbow of fluffy happiness.

It was so worth it, not had a chest or throat infection since.

SkinnyMarinkADink Mon 12-Nov-12 22:30:34

He - the.

Beige-being

Goodbyetonsils Mon 12-Nov-12 22:34:41

Lmao @ recovering in the children's ward! Oh gosh I am feeling so much better after reading these responses thank you so so much. Is it true you get less colds afterwards? Yes my immune system is completely shot, when I was 18, I had tonsillitis so bad I got septicaemia. It's since then I am constantly ill so I'm hoping this will be the miracle cure I need!

The paper cute in my eye was due to greed... I was pregnant, tucking into a big bar of dairy milk and the corrugated (sp?) bit of the wrapper scratched my eye. I would rather go through childbirth 10 more times (but not with the 10 more babies!) than encounter that pain again.

I'm worried about the pain meds making me sick as I have a phobia of throwing up... And also scared of waking up after and the pain hitting me and not being able to get the attention of a nurse! I also read sometimes your larynx (sp!?) can spasm and make it hard to breathe when you wake which sounds horrific!

PiggyPlumPie Mon 12-Nov-12 22:40:25

Must confess to hiding the toast they gave me at hospital in my bag! blush It was stone cold and I hadn't had a drink so was nigh on impossible to eat!!

The dissolvable painkillers were ace though!

Let the anaesthatist know you are scared of throwing up and they will give you something to help with that.

Having my tonsils out made a massive difference to my health in my 20s.

LessMissAbs Mon 12-Nov-12 22:54:30

I had it done a few years ago and I can't remember any pain at all. It was combined with nasal septum surgery, which I remember as being really uncomfortable, as you have to have cotton wool stuck up your nose for a while afterwards and then removed. But the tonsillectomy - walk in the park. I had to stay in hospital for a few days due to the combined surgery, and was eating all the other patient's food and seconds - was bloody starving, thats all I can remember! Oh and on the third day I was bored stiff and sneaked out of hospital to go shopping, and was caught sneaking back in and given a row by a doctor!

Have had hardly any illness since though so its definately worth it. Its honestly not something worthy worrying about at all, I didn't find it a very serious operation. Bloody hungry afterwards though!

Goodbyetonsils Mon 12-Nov-12 23:35:35

God I am so hoping I'm one of the lucky ones... SkinnyMarinkADink I wanted to cancel again after reading that! I have a terrible pain threshold don't think I can cope with that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now