Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

A thread for fellow Disney haters - AIBU to.....

(241 Posts)
pictish Mon 12-Nov-12 14:08:58

Not buy dd her heart's desire for Christmas?

She wants a Minnie Mouse toy. She is 3 - will be 4 in February.

Now - she only wants one because her little friend is a Minnie obsessive. She (the friend) has Minnie clothes, Minnie toys, Minnie bedroom, Minnie this Minnie that....and in particular, a Minnie plush toy that dd jealously covets whenever we visit their house.

I dislike most things Disney - it would be a cold day in Hell before I would shell out for a trip to Disneyland (Paris OR Florida). We don't even have the Disney channel...so dd's knowledge of Minnie Mouse is simply through her wee pal.

Of all the things Disney - the biggest turn off is Mickey and Minnie Mouse. They're ugly and irritating, and represent all the things about Disney I balk at. The merchandising, the American-ness of it all. Tasteless, brash and tacky is how I find it and them.

Now - I don't expect everyone to agree with that, but that is how I feel. We all have our particular dislikes, and things we won't cave in about, and Disney is mine. A handful of DVDs is one thing - the merchandising quite another.

I don't want to buy her a Minnie Mouse - she will take it everywhere and it will annoy the fuck out of me. Dh says no way, as he hates Disney too.

AIBU?

I am popping out to take ds2 to his swimming lesson, so I will expect to come back to a bunch of replies telling me how awful I am. grin

Oh - and should add - ds2 (who is a year older than dd) has now started saying he wants a Mickey Mouse, as they always like to have the same stuff. I am appalled!

WelshMaenad Mon 12-Nov-12 15:52:01

Yes, Pixar is part of Disney.

RuleBritannia Mon 12-Nov-12 15:52:25

I'm so pleased to see so many others with the same views about Disney as I have. It - what's the word meaning fell to bits? - degenerated after Walt Disney died in 1966. The company changed everything. My hate is the way the company took over characters precious to other countries eg as another poster mentioned - Winnie the Pooh. I'm not sure about Peter Pan either which belonged to GOSH until the copyright ran out.

It's the way Americans take over the world. What about that pub that for many years had called its Christmas meal a Family Feast and KFC started legal proceedings again the pub because it wanted Family Feast words to belong to that company? There have been others, too. Most Americans don't even know that Winnie the Pooh and Peter Pan are English British

CheerMum Mon 12-Nov-12 15:53:34

I always said over my dead body would I have a Barbie in my house. Then I changed it to, when dd specifically asks for one, she can have it. Cue mountains of pink shite, Barbie, my little pony, Disney princess et al. It didn't turn her into some weak and wilting little flower, eagerly searching for her prince to come and save her.
Those of you who are getting all het up about it, I think you are seriously overestimating the impact of a few frilly dresses and shite movies. Do you really think that is going to outweigh the example that you are setting for your child, all day, every day?
OP, I'd give in gracefully and take lots of photographs which can be used for your amusement in years to come (I have a lovely photo of dd in a pink fairy outfit with wings and a wand and her face when she see's it is a picture - she's going goth at the mo) grin

Mrsjay Mon 12-Nov-12 15:55:56

<dons mickymouse ears > YABU and you know you are grin you need to let it go of your disney hatred and get her something anything minnie mouse , you can get little tiny ones then she would have a minnie she could hide in your pocket and your rage would be in check, going over board with any character rubbish is OTT imo but a little something doesn't hurt ,

Mrsjay Mon 12-Nov-12 15:56:15

in her pocket*

Mrsjay Mon 12-Nov-12 16:01:23

Pictish take a wee jaunt into the disney shop you could get her little minnie in there and then you could explode with disneyness grin

LaCiccolina Mon 12-Nov-12 16:08:28

What would u like for Christmas?

Well u can't have it. I know u want it. Yes uve been good. But I don't like it. In fact I think ur stupid for wanting it and a brat for demanding it.

Doesn't sound so good as an argument does it?

Might as well tell her Santas dead too...really does it honestly matter what u think?

PrincessSymbian Mon 12-Nov-12 16:14:15

I don't like Disney but would probably go on eBay and buy her a second hand one, which would be allowed to go everywhere with her
and hopefully get lost at the first opportunity

fuzzpig Mon 12-Nov-12 16:17:54

I think you should get her it TBH, if her heart is really set on it (as opposed to a passing fancy from seeing an advert etc). There's no reason why any other presents can't be decent stuff you approve of.

Do you do the whole Santa/FC thing? Might be a bit disappointing if the man in red doesn't bring the one thing she wants.

I hate Disney princess crap, and Minnie Mouse too (we are Disney fans but prefer stuff like fantasia, animal stuff etc), and yes it is very frustrating that they pick up on so much from school (DD wasn't remotely interested in pink'n'girly til she started preschool) - DD loves moshi monsters and hello kitty despite no exposure to either at home for example.

But it's really not the end of the world. <watches DD play trains for the Nth day in a row>

squeakytoy Mon 12-Nov-12 16:20:48

sorry but yes, YABVU. She is a child who wants a toy that is like the one her friends have.. If her little pal had an uzi machine gun or a set of sabatier knives then yes I could understand the reluctance, but its a harmless cuddly mouse with a dress on...

stinkinseamonkey Mon 12-Nov-12 16:22:52

"What would u like for Christmas?

Well u can't have it"

no I can't, and my kids can't always have what other people have, that's life! I don't see why the OPs kid has to have WHATEVER she wants just because she wants it and it's christmas

Sirzy Mon 12-Nov-12 16:25:05

It's a teddy, it isn't going to do her any harm.

TheOriginalSteamingNit Mon 12-Nov-12 16:26:40

I dislike Disney, but would see this as a fairly reasonable thing for a three year old to have for Christmas. All the years I've bought what I think they should have rather than what they have actually wanted have been the ones I've regretted. I get it, on the grounds of taste and ethics and everything, but at three I think you should get it and be glad she is into Minnie rather than the worse characters.

I also remember as a child that the things you want 'just' because a friend has, you do really want and are over the moon to get.

She won't always be a sheep, if youre worried about her just copying. And she won't always be three, so just buy her the Minnie, I would!

DreamingOfTheMaldives Mon 12-Nov-12 16:34:49

Quote Stinkinseamonkey
""What would u like for Christmas?

Well u can't have it"

no I can't, and my kids can't always have what other people have, that's life! I don't see why the OPs kid has to have WHATEVER she wants just because she wants it and it's christmas"

The child is 3 for goodness sake Stinkinseamoney, and it's a stuffed mouse! She isn't a teenager DEMANDING to have WHATEVER she wants! Get a grip!

I'm all for censoring your children's things if it isn't appropriate or suitable but simply refusing to let a 3 year old have a stuffed mouse that she really wants, just because you don't like it, is a bit mean.

InNeedOfBrandy Mon 12-Nov-12 16:35:33

I love disney movies...

meh it's a toy that isn't to expensive that your dd has her heart set on... Go ahead and break her heart because you don't like it...

KellyElly Mon 12-Nov-12 16:36:13

Those of you who are getting all het up about it, I think you are seriously overestimating the impact of a few frilly dresses and shite movies. Do you really think that is going to outweigh the example that you are setting for your child, all day, every day? >> THIS!

5madthings Mon 12-Nov-12 16:36:47

Oh no i feel your pain!! I am torn on this as i am not a big fan of disney but ds4 is big buzz lightyear fan and has all the buzz/woody toys and they are disney, ditto cars stuff.

The thing is if she hasnt seen.the prog it is just a cuddly mouse to her.

Can you not find her a new friend who doesnt like minnie mouse..... It is likely to be a passing fad...

My dd has a lovely jellcat cuddly mouse in a very sweet little dress.

What else do they want, can you think if anything else that she covets?

How heartbroken do you think she will be if she doesnt get it?

KellyElly Mon 12-Nov-12 16:41:31

Can you not find her a new friend who doesnt like minnie mouse. this is what I mean by barking. Now she has to change friends over Minnie Mouse ffs.

Children are actually individuals you know. Parents don't own them and get to chose their friends and likes and dislikes!

DreamingOfTheMaldives Mon 12-Nov-12 16:42:06

5madthings, do you honestly think the OP should find her daughter a new friend because she doesn't approve of the friend's taste in cuddly toys?!!! sad

InNeedOfBrandy Mon 12-Nov-12 16:45:46

No you cannot just "find her a new friend" over minnie mouse ffs. This thread is bonkers, YY to everything kelly has said.

pictish Mon 12-Nov-12 16:48:05

What would u like for Christmas?

Well u can't have it. I know u want it. Yes uve been good. But I don't like it. In fact I think ur stupid for wanting it and a brat for demanding it.

Doesn't sound so good as an argument does it?

Might as well tell her Santas dead too...really does it honestly matter what u think?

Um ok - I didn't say my daughter was 'stupid' OR 'a brat' did I? And why on earth do you think I may as well tell her Santa is dead??!!

As it happens, I love my daughter, and find her to be a gentle, quiet, unassuming girl - but thanks for your crazy insight anyway LaCiccolina

I also don't think kids should get whatever they want just because they want it. Last time I checked, my daughter wasn't actually earning anything, so I reckon the spending decisions fall to me and her dad....and I for one, don't want to give Disney any more of our cash than is strictly neccessary.

I am listening to all you that reasonably pointed out that it is just a mouse in a dress.
Even if I hate that fucking mouse.

Alisvolatpropiis Mon 12-Nov-12 16:48:33

I grew up watching Disney films and playing with Barbies! Shock horror!

As it goes I am not remotely princessy,I don't wear pink,am as happy without makeup on as I am with it on and have a law degree.

I think your little girl will be okay if you let her have a Minnie Mouse toy. Oddly I hated Minnie Mouse as a child.

I don't think Beauty and the Beast has a terrible message. Belle is clever,independent,refused to be cowed into marrying the town looker wanker and falls in love with someone absolutely not good looking.

Though I suppose you could argue that was Disney encouraging beastiality if you really wanted to. Along with "priming little girls for rape cultur" WTAF?

Mrsjay Mon 12-Nov-12 16:50:10

I am listening to all you that reasonably pointed out that it is just a mouse in a dress.
Even if I hate that fucking mouse.

let it go it is just a mouse grin

5madthings Mon 12-Nov-12 16:51:06

It was a joke!!! I know pictish and she will know that i am joking!!! Jeez get a grip.

I am guessing that thinking of the look on het little dd's face if she doesnt get ths.mouse will be enough for her to.buy it for her, that little pouty face and sad eyes... She is such a cutie pictish wont be able to disappoint her!

It will be a fad, or alternatively it will become her ultimate toy that she kerps in her bed even in her teenage years! grin

5madthings Mon 12-Nov-12 16:53:02

pictish they have a cuddly minnie mouse in toys r us, looks like the disney one but pretty sure its cheaper.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now