A thread for fellow Disney haters - AIBU to.....

(241 Posts)
pictish Mon 12-Nov-12 14:08:58

Not buy dd her heart's desire for Christmas?

She wants a Minnie Mouse toy. She is 3 - will be 4 in February.

Now - she only wants one because her little friend is a Minnie obsessive. She (the friend) has Minnie clothes, Minnie toys, Minnie bedroom, Minnie this Minnie that....and in particular, a Minnie plush toy that dd jealously covets whenever we visit their house.

I dislike most things Disney - it would be a cold day in Hell before I would shell out for a trip to Disneyland (Paris OR Florida). We don't even have the Disney channel...so dd's knowledge of Minnie Mouse is simply through her wee pal.

Of all the things Disney - the biggest turn off is Mickey and Minnie Mouse. They're ugly and irritating, and represent all the things about Disney I balk at. The merchandising, the American-ness of it all. Tasteless, brash and tacky is how I find it and them.

Now - I don't expect everyone to agree with that, but that is how I feel. We all have our particular dislikes, and things we won't cave in about, and Disney is mine. A handful of DVDs is one thing - the merchandising quite another.

I don't want to buy her a Minnie Mouse - she will take it everywhere and it will annoy the fuck out of me. Dh says no way, as he hates Disney too.

AIBU?

I am popping out to take ds2 to his swimming lesson, so I will expect to come back to a bunch of replies telling me how awful I am. grin

Oh - and should add - ds2 (who is a year older than dd) has now started saying he wants a Mickey Mouse, as they always like to have the same stuff. I am appalled!

joanbyers Mon 12-Nov-12 14:42:50

I am not a Disney hater, but my dd says she wants to watch Mickey Mouse, which is fine, but then insists on watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, which is absolute shite, and complains if I try to put on some of the old stuff. grr....

Proper Mickey: www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8FzGOOQNDY
The shite dd insists upon: www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhkNvz4jbwE

Ionlylikeitwhenitrains Mon 12-Nov-12 14:44:10

YABU If you don't get her minnie it's going to be some other girly crap like barbie or somesuch I think a mouse in a dress is preferable to that. Your decision though but if it makes her happy, I would get it.

Offred Mon 12-Nov-12 14:44:43

Disney and almost everything associated with it is absolutely awful. I made the mistake of mentioning I felt this way in our informal PTA coffee morning....

However, I think YABU if it is something she really wants, I don't really believe in censorship but agree there is a line between censorship and actively purchasing, I normally think it is best to speak openly about the concerns you have about children's things/interests with the child but ultimately allow, encourage and respect their autonomy. Fizzy drinks is completely separate. I won't purchase them for mine but have never censored Disney - even the princesses which are the worst thing, I think it is about expanding their horizons, thinking about real princesses, real relationships and real women etc and that helps protect them. <Fun ruiner> grin

Small children obviously always choose to have the thing they want but I do think, and this probably makes me sound evil to a lot of people, learning that sometimes the things you really want aren't good for you or others and to assess this yourself through education and freedom to express yourself is really valuable for LOADS of reasons! Mine have to learn the reasons why I think something is bad for them if they want to have it.

Offred Mon 12-Nov-12 14:45:54

Disney princesses are an initiation into sex and rape culture for young girls... Might say that at the PTA of my catholic school... grin

CharlotteBronteSaurus Mon 12-Nov-12 14:50:52

what banana said

we grudgingly indulged dd1's disney princess phase, without comment, and now she has reached the grand old age of 5 and a half, that phase has been over for at least 6 months. ditto getting her some children's nail polish to play with - she went on about that for months before I caved in, and it turned out to be a five minute wonder.

we've moved on to pirates now. oh, and Jesus hmm.

gettingeasier Mon 12-Nov-12 15:03:00

I dont like Disney much but I couldnt get sufficiently worked up to ban it or consider it evil

WelshMaenad Mon 12-Nov-12 15:03:04

For fucks sake. It's a toy. Unclench!

She wants it, it will make her happy, she can share in minnieness with her little friend. These things are important when you're three.

I don't really like the Disney princess thing, but dd does, I have indulged it and she is already outgrowing it in favour of Power Rangers. Comparing nutrition with CHRISTMAS GIFTS is bloody ridiculous by the way. What are you going to do, buy her a copy of The Female Eunuch instead, because its better?

HoneyDragon Mon 12-Nov-12 15:04:27

<<nowt like Disney to guarantee a bunfight on a Mnday grin>>

VolumeOfACone Mon 12-Nov-12 15:06:57

It won't represent anything to your daughter (not brashness, not tackiness) other than a way to play with her friend so not getting it for her I think, would be a tad mean.

musicmadness Mon 12-Nov-12 15:10:25

I'm probably not the person you want to hear from - as I like Disney and still remember the holiday where I went to Disney world when I was little as the best family holiday of my life, but I would just buy her the Minnie.

It will make her happy, if it is all she is asking for you risk her being very disappointed on Christmas if you don't (though that depends on how easily distracted she is I guess) and it is just a toy mouse at the end of the day. It's not going to hurt anyone and if you ban it I can pretty much guarantee she is going to think Disney is some amazing thing and it will take her a lot longer to get over the Disney phase. If you buy it she will probably get bored after a few months and you can safely donate it to charity.

All Disney? All of it?

I get the hate for Disney Princess tat but what about Wall-E and Eve? Brave? Jesse n Toy story? Not all Disney stuff is terrible.

Not heard of all this conspiracy stuff about deaths being covered up ? but if you get a big worldwide corporation there is going to be some evil going on isn't there it's the nature of the beast.

OP if you buy your DD a small minnie mouse it will be her number one toy for a short while then she will move onto something else. If you don't get her it she will just become even more desperate for one.

BarredfromhavingStella Mon 12-Nov-12 15:13:23

It's a toy mouse hmm She will love it so YABVU-how would you like it if someone refused your gift wish because they didn't like it???

gettingeasier Mon 12-Nov-12 15:14:27

Toy Story - Pixar

gettingeasier Mon 12-Nov-12 15:15:37

Thinking about this some more YABU get her the toy smile

I thought Pixar was part of Disney? Am I wrong?? It is possible! grin

Fillybuster Mon 12-Nov-12 15:24:04

I'm not sure. I massively sympathise with your position Pictish and in theory, I should apply the same stance at home.

But - and here's the rub - my dm did this to me....I never had anything My Little Pony, Hello Kitty, Disney etc, and we didn't watch any television so she used the same excuse ("you don't know what its about anyway").

But that's simply not the point. My friends at nursery (and later, school) would all be talking about something, or showing my their insert branded toy here and I never got to join in.

Resentful? Moi? Damn right grin

Needless to say my dds have got all this stuff coming out their ears in moderation, because even though, as an adult, I totally get why Disney isn't the all-encompassing-deliverer-from-evil some might claim, I also remember what it felt like to be 3/4/5/6/7/8 and never get to join in.

So whilst YANBU, that doesn't mean you're right smile smile

KellyElly Mon 12-Nov-12 15:28:22

yes kelly, Disney is "bad" for a 3 year old, it portrays women in a really shite way! for one haven't you noticed that all disney mothers are either dead, evil, absent, weak or insignificant? Whereas fathers are heros or the one whose approval is of vital importance? When i watched them when I was a child then no I did not notice this I just enjoyed the films and toys and the dressing up as a child does. I also liked climbing trees, playing with action men and science. I have not grown up to be subservient to men, quite the opposite. I feel you are over thinking things here a tad.

DreamingOfTheMaldives Mon 12-Nov-12 15:34:18

Can anyone explain what is the reason for hating Disney so much. I've only recently become aware that some people have such strong negative feelings towards Disney and am genuinely interested as to why? I'm quite neutral on Disney; in fact, not having any children I've never really given it much thought. Just curious what Mickey and his mates and his mates have done to provoke such a reaction? confused

DreamingOfTheMaldives Mon 12-Nov-12 15:40:24

"yes kelly, Disney is "bad" for a 3 year old, it portrays women in a really shite way! for one haven't you noticed that all disney mothers are either dead, evil, absent, weak or insignificant? Whereas fathers are heros or the one whose approval is of vital importance? When i watched them when I was a child then no I did not notice this I just enjoyed the films and toys and the dressing up as a child does. I also liked climbing trees, playing with action men and science. I have not grown up to be subservient to men, quite the opposite. I feel you are over thinking things here a tad."

Over thinking things?! Just slightly!

MichelleObarmy Mon 12-Nov-12 15:42:16

I cant really see what is so evil about a Minnie plush toy. Wait until she is sneaking out of the house at fourteen wearing red lipstick to go and meet her hairy rocker boyfriend. grin

your child, though - your choice what you buy her for Xmas.

stinkinseamonkey Mon 12-Nov-12 15:43:59

Kelly there was more balance in the past, chemistry kits for example were in the "childrens age X-Y" isle for example, now they are in the "boys age X-Y" isle, and Disney has been at the fore front of dividing EVERYTHING into for boys or for girls, rather than for kids!

Strawhatpirate Mon 12-Nov-12 15:45:51

Get her a gruffalo instead grin

stinkinseamonkey Mon 12-Nov-12 15:48:01

just because children don't realise it, doesn't mean they aren't picking up on the messages

The more something is reinforced the more likely you are to belive it so its crazy to assume that there is no point in limiting the amt of this crap that kids are bombarded with these days. There is MORE sexist crap now than there was in "my day", it's gone massively backwards

FairiesWearPoppies Mon 12-Nov-12 15:51:17

FFS I love Disney! What's the problem I don't understand people finding hidden meanings in ficking cartoons!

My dd us 5 and I have bought the Minnie plush for Xmas, ds is 24 wks and have bought him the mickey one. It's a bit of fun for crying out loud.

If its what she wants suck it up!

mummytime Mon 12-Nov-12 15:51:36

In most of Children's literature parents are dead, absent or useless. Thats how the stories work, otherwise the bad stuff can't happen. It is also true of fairy tales but also almost all children's books (except some politically correct sh**).
The more recent Disney Princesses tend to be more feisty. Father's if not dead tend to be pretty bumbling and need to be rescued by the youngsters.

However even with your views I would tend to give in, because not getting what you want can make you want it more. Getting it can show you what a boring toy it is. I got a Barbie when I was 6, it was one of the most boring presents ever, and soon was put aside. If I hadn't got it I could have become obsessed.

Also once kids go to school sometimes it can be really important to get the "in" toy, it really helps some kids integrate. As at least they can swap "pokemon cards" or whatever the new craze is. And giving into this will not make your children into conformists. I have two very independent teenagers (14 and 16) but they were both allowed to follow crazes (within budget) and the girl even dress as a Princess for days on end.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now