Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think this is so odd??!

(334 Posts)
curiousgeorgie Sun 11-Nov-12 17:45:47

My PIL have mentioned several times over te past 8 weeks since their 2nd grandchild was born that they would love to have a canvas of the two children (my DD and new DN) to put on the wall.

With christmas coming thought this would be a great gift so sent a message to BIL and his fiancée to ask if we could get the kids together to do this for them. DH has a brilliant camera and is quite into photography so wouldn't cost them anything and wouldn't take long.

BIL sent a message straight back saying great idea, they'll love that, lets set it up.

3 hours later and she sends me a message saying 'Im going to have to say no to the picture'.

Weird???! Please tell me this is completely off because I'm not really sure what on earth I'm supposed to respond to that!

tittytittyhanghang Tue 13-Nov-12 22:31:50

Jeeesus, sqoosh, did you get to page three, makes grandma's slapping and hairpulling heartwarming!

stifnstav Tue 13-Nov-12 22:07:10

'ANG ABAAAAHT!

So she is having the photo done on 27 DEC? So they won't be unwrapping anything on Christmas Day?

Weird. <walks off whistling to oneself>

tittytittyhanghang Tue 13-Nov-12 21:51:10

Knew it was either petty or selfish. And just because this is a pfb doesn't make it any less so.

CheerfulYank Tue 13-Nov-12 17:33:50

And it's their grandmother! I know pulling hair and slapping children is not funny, but it did make me ROFL a bit. blush

squoosh Tue 13-Nov-12 15:01:13

Yes! And she's just slapped the little boy's face!!!

AlienRefluxovermypoppy Tue 13-Nov-12 14:29:21

Ha ha squoosh !!In that christening one, has that woman grabbed her kid by the hair??!!

Narked Tue 13-Nov-12 13:51:13

And I'd bet her parents will be getting the same 'gift.'

Narked Tue 13-Nov-12 13:50:11

Thought so. So many people get professional pictures taken of their PFBs - or even pay for the thing where you get a package deal of one a month! Very few do it with their second or third DC grin

JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar Tue 13-Nov-12 13:40:08

a brook with some autumn leaves and a little red wagon

Hahaha Yank I have a few of these from when ds was a baby. They're tacky and strangely don't even look like him much, but I still love them. None have been turned into canvasses however yet.

lljkk Tue 13-Nov-12 12:58:55

Ah, she's in newborn baby love. Bit mad, but could have been much worse explanation.

squoosh Tue 13-Nov-12 12:36:16
squoosh Tue 13-Nov-12 12:33:42

OP here's some inspiration for your own photo shoot. Some absolute gems!!!

awkwardfamilyphotos.com/tag/babies/

grin shock

mrskeithrichards Tue 13-Nov-12 12:30:12

Ah so there's a perfectly reasonable explanation then and now you know she's not adverse to all things canvas you can get one done together next year.

Don't be a mare and try to stir things by doing one of your dd. Let her have her newborn moment, I'm sure you had plenty, and get your in laws something different. I'm sure they've already got photos of your dd on her own so it would be nice for your sil to have the same for her lo.

CheerfulYank Tue 13-Nov-12 12:29:10

Oh Lord. She sounds...interesting. Glad to have an explanation though, it was bothering me! smile

FWIW my SIL always sets up a photo session with my DS and her two DC to get a portrait for our MIL and it always looks tacky and shit and I hate them (there are usually fake backgrounds involved, like our children just happened upon a brook with some autumn leaves and a little red wagon hmm ) but they both love them, so whatever.

AlienRefluxovermypoppy Tue 13-Nov-12 12:28:44

What size is she getting? do a 8ft x 8ft of your DD grin

Just kidding, it's a pisser, but let it go OP

GhoulWithADragonTattoo Tue 13-Nov-12 12:28:42

I thought it would be something like that given SIL is lovely and kind normally. Perhaps you guys could co-ordinate complementary canvases so that PIL are not overwhelmed. I'm guessing she also wants one for her parents so the one of the two children together wouldn't really work.

AlienRefluxovermypoppy Tue 13-Nov-12 12:27:17

AAAhhhhhhh, I seeeeeee, so it's not that she thinks her baby is too chimpish for a photo then?

Well. least we know now.

It's not what your PIL's wanted but hey, leave her to it!

squoosh Tue 13-Nov-12 12:27:06

Have your babies image projected onto the Houses of Parliament a la Gail Porter. I'm sure David Cameron would give it the nod.

Awkward unwrapping moments coming up this Christmas. You are going to have to go very big OP .

fluffyraggies Tue 13-Nov-12 12:20:47

Hmmmmm. It's a sort of 'lime light' thing really then isn't it? Yes?

Someone suggested that upthread.

ethelb Tue 13-Nov-12 12:20:41

She is going to realise how derranged she is in a couple of years time.

I feel sorry for your PIL. Is she a nightmare DIL?

squoosh Tue 13-Nov-12 12:18:40

Poor grandparents are going to have to have two canvasses on their wall now! I hope their love for canvasses is as strong at Christmas time grin

She obviously doesn't want her baby being overshadowed by their cousin. Fair enough, but a teensy bit precious seeing as the GPs specifically wanted a picture of the two children together. I'm sure she'll chill out when the kid is a bit older.

curiousgeorgie Tue 13-Nov-12 12:18:00

Well, she's having professional photos taken of him on the 27th... So sort of giving the parents an IOU a canvas hmm

So I actually don't see why she can't do the picture. wink

Zalen Tue 13-Nov-12 12:14:59

Ah, x-post, sorry

JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar Tue 13-Nov-12 12:14:45

Oh how very reasonable and boring of her.

I feel a little let down sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now