Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Child modelling, please help !!

(147 Posts)
cutiesmum Sun 11-Nov-12 17:37:49

Hi everyone,

I am totally new to this site so i may not have posted this in the correct place - apologies!
I am also new to child modelling, and would like some advice if possible.

I applied to lots of different child modelling agencies and sent off pics of my daughter. She has so far had a yes from Kitschkids, Bizzikids, Talent Management, Chillikids, Childplay, Scallywags, and Norrie Carr.

Grace and Galor and Bonnie + Betty both said no due to us not living in the London area sad

I have ruled out Bizzikids, Talent management , Scallywags and Childsplay.

I have read lots of reviews about Chillikids, Kitsch Kids and Norrie Carr and they all sound like great agencies.

Does anyone have experience or advice on these three?

I have been researching quite a while and need to make a decision asap so any help or guidence would be great!

Thanks smile

IneedAsockamnesty Sun 11-Nov-12 20:42:40

I have no issues at all with child Modeling agencies none well if they can actually get jobs so people can coo over the babies in the ads.

But I do have huge issues with the ones who claim to be able to if you pay money then don't.

Roseformeplease Sun 11-Nov-12 20:46:09

You didn't actually ask, but YABU. Child modelling is not about the child.

Softlysoftly Sun 11-Nov-12 20:48:23

I have considered this for DD1 but only because she is constantly asking to dress up and have her photo taken hmm I'm not sure the reality would be as much fun iyswim and I would hate her to be judged on her looks, which is oxymoronic when it comes to modelling I know!

But it does make me think someone's child has to be in the adverts and if it was treated as fun ie no expectation of work, no pressure, not minding it probably costing rather than making money then why not?

Anyway from my brief look into it urban angels seemed to be the MN favourite and from their website their books are open for applications until tomorrow.

BUT don't pressure your kid and don't expect to make any money and if she hates it stop no debates.

cutiesmum Mon 12-Nov-12 16:55:16

Firstly thanks for all the replies, especially the negative and slightly insulting ones ha ha! Although, for people who think its SOOO bad, why you would sit and waste your time giving out your small minded opinions is well and truely beyond me!

Someone suggested I may be a failed model lol - answer to that is no I'm not! Are you???? Maybe that's why your so bitter!?

I came on here to ask a question, not to open a discussion about what people think is correct and incorrect! There's more in the world to worry about than someone putting their child forward for modelling!

Maybe you have nothing better to do than sit and attempt to judge people on a wesbite (lol) but I do so thanks again but I'm off! Ciao

Ps wouldn't be surprised if half of you have tried to put your own kids forward, and have been told NO wink

givemeaclue Mon 12-Nov-12 17:01:37

Aren't castings normally in London?

cheekydevil Mon 12-Nov-12 17:02:33

Oh dear sad

NotQuintAtAllOhNo Mon 12-Nov-12 17:03:44

<ducks for the shower of rattles that op just threw out of her pram>

grin

lol lol

grin

And lol some more. It is SO fun whenever there is a moggling thread here. The OPs are behaving predictably to the script.

I am sure they are part of MNHQ robotic posting programme, to give us a larf now and then.

wink

On a serious note, ds2 is extremely photogenic, looks like an angel, and people keep telling me I should sign him up. No way would I put him through that.
My friends daughter is a model. No no no.

Icanhasnickname Mon 12-Nov-12 17:04:07

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

NotQuintAtAllOhNo Mon 12-Nov-12 17:05:22

Thinks of little chimney sweeps working for pennies and apples in victorian London. I guess the difference is that the children are clean, and the grime on their faces is by Dior not LaPlaceFire

givemeaclue Mon 12-Nov-12 17:08:22

If it doesn't work out, sweepz kidz may have vacancies for little cuties to pop up chimneys-and there is no registration fee!

cheekydevil Mon 12-Nov-12 17:08:51

Will no-one think of the overused exclamation and question marks? Not to mentioned the "lol"? <shudder>

Please all stop with the lolling! hmm [shudder]

OP why not get a hobby and let your child enjoy being a child rather than dragging her to call outs for people to judge her on her looks.

HoolioHallio Mon 12-Nov-12 17:13:47

If you need to make a decision ASAP, can I suggest names in a hat ? Or flipping of a coin ?

HTH wink

shemademedoit Mon 12-Nov-12 17:20:26

A friend's little bot does it. I've seen him in loads of stuff and they've quite a best egg set aside for when he's bigger, thanks entirely to his own hard work. He loves it, but I'm sure he's a rare case. No idea which agency though, sorry.

shemademedoit Mon 12-Nov-12 17:21:04

Boy!!!!!! Oh dear. No modelling involving bots. Yet.

shemademedoit Mon 12-Nov-12 17:21:46

Damn it I give up. Nest egg. Etc etc. correct my fat fingered iPhone mistakes yourselves!!!!!

Sallyingforth Mon 12-Nov-12 17:23:22

OP please do some web research on these agencies. Google their names. You will find stories of disappointment and financial loss.
Don't subject yourself and your child to this.

WhenShallWeThreeKingsMeetAgain Mon 12-Nov-12 17:24:18

Will someone please explain to me how the OP can be "totally new to this site"..........yet have 41 posts beside her name?

nancerama Mon 12-Nov-12 17:25:13

My old company used to hire child and adult models for promotional photography and advertising. They used to approach Norrie Carr, Elliott Brown and MOT to send candidates to castings. I believe these agencies charge a fee, but this is deducted from the first few jobs.

I wouldn't involve DS in modelling though. There is a lot of waiting around at castings and an awful lot of the children were the kids of lower division WAGS. I just don't think I'd have a lot in common with the other mums and DS would be bored to distraction with the waiting around.

Firawla Mon 12-Nov-12 17:39:29

OP one of my ds is with one of the agencies u mentioned up there (kk), ive been quite happy with them. TBH alot of the negative comments on here i think are people with no experience of child modelling just moaning and being rude for the sake of it. They do take a fee when you join, this is normal in most agencies its adults modelling where u dont pay anything i think, but that said i wouldnt suggest going with expensive agencies and dont pay for "portfolios" as that is a rip off cos they will need thier pics updated regularly as being young they change often, so pics quickly going out of date

All this talk about financial loss etc, will probably apply if you do get scammed with all these portfolios and non legit agencies but with the once youve mentioned they are all okay (not sure about talent management)
Bizziekids youve ruled out anyway, i would mention i find them a bit of a pain as they are really strict and moany about the updates and will kick u off the books if you dont update in time, then want money to go back on again!!! (this happened to another of my ds so i just left it as i thought im not paying again and cant be bothered with it)

norrie car & chilli kids ive heard of parents with kids with them, not sure any specifics but think they are quite good. norrie car joining fee is quite expensive tho if i remember correctly???

kk who my ds is with are very good in that they dont get all stroppy with the parents like bk, they are quite laid back and dont expect u to run round jumping through hoops all the time! so i find that so much better. they are friendly and helpful. my son whos with them has been with them for about 2 yrs now? hes had a few jobs and a few castings, and easily made the joining money back on the first job so finance aspect of it is not too much of an issue.

as for the children not enjoying it u have to see how they get on, u know ur child so know whether they will be okay or not. mine can be a bit shy now so once his contract is finished i might not renew it depending how it goes on his next job. its not like they are tied into it for life!! so u can try it and if it goes well then great, if not then no loss really.

dont know why some people are soo against it - exploiting children etc. tbh i think my son will probably be pleased with the extra money in his account once he is older and i show him that he has earned this. if u see they really not enjoying it then u pull them out, its not particularly a big deal

btw there is a much more helpful thread on netmums on this topic so have a look there cos for some reason people on here can be weird about it. but if ur not on netmums can pm me if you want any more info

Bobyan Mon 12-Nov-12 17:43:37

YABU

I'm a model <strikes a pose>. And so's my dog <dog vogues>.

Floggingmolly Mon 12-Nov-12 18:16:33

Oi, stroppy! All people are pointing out is that if these agencies are requesting payment of £200+, it's unlikely they're being very discriminating.
Therefore the odds are against them finding work for your dd, her being a cutie notwithstanding.
Does she have your diva temperament too?

WelshMaenad Mon 12-Nov-12 19:07:52

Au contraire, OP, my children would, of I was so inclined, take the modelling scene by storm, they're gorgeous and sickeningly photogenic.

However, I'm just not vain and self absorbed enough as a parent to subject them to so much judgement and disappointment for my own strange gratification. Which us what most of the child modelling world is built on.

Most of their childhood photos will be taken at the park, not in a studio prancing around in overpriced clothes to help line the pockets of done commercial giant. Fuck me, I can't think of a more soulless existence.

Feminine Mon 12-Nov-12 20:36:40

assosiationofmoelagents.org

Just to make it a bit easier smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now