to think you'd struggle to find a more beautiful country than Spain?

(80 Posts)
autumnlights12 Sat 10-Nov-12 21:58:27

(obviously I'm not talking about Benidorm)
I've been all around the world, Lisa Stansfield style. to the South Pacific, Asia, the Americas, all over Europe...but they are no more beautiful than Spain which is only a 2 hour flight away. I would move there tomorrow if we could feasibly make a living there.. sigh..

I see beauty everywhere.
The world is like a giant fruitbowl of beauty. How to say the perfect pineapple is more gorgeous than a perfect grape or mango? I don't need to make such a judgement - just open my eyes and love it all.

Ohhelpohnoitsa Sat 10-Nov-12 23:01:44

for wrathdepan - I assure you there are things in Derbyshire as noble as in Greece or Switzerland." Byron.
i love lots of places for different reasons. whete in spain do you particularly love? we love javea.

North coast of Cornwall has it. Nowhere else I'd rather be.

Portofino Sat 10-Nov-12 23:13:24

Spain has nice bits. Everywhere has nice bits. Sunset over Vernazza in Italy was to die for though.

Portofino Sat 10-Nov-12 23:14:27

Or the view over the Dordogne valley from the Jardins des Marquessacs.

WrathdePan Sat 10-Nov-12 23:17:29

Ohhelpohnoitsa - thank you - I didn't know of that.

Spain - the view from the top row in Barcelona's Nou Camp stadium, look down and watch beautiful football, or look out to a setting sun over the hills.

MrsCantSayAnything Sat 10-Nov-12 23:18:00

yabu. Italy is far more lovely.

amarylisnightandday Sat 10-Nov-12 23:19:53

Yanbu - I thi k the countries on the med are utterly gorgeous grin

kim147 Sat 10-Nov-12 23:21:04

South Island, New Zealand.

Mind you, the Dales are pretty good.

apachepony Sat 10-Nov-12 23:22:03

I don't think I could possibly choose which country is the most beautiful, there are so many heart stoppingly gorgeous places in the world!

bluebump Sat 10-Nov-12 23:24:12

I love Spain too. We drove down from the north to the south two years in a row and it was great, the scenery changed from the cold, snowy north to fields of sunflowers and then the dry south. It was brilliant.

Rattitude Sat 10-Nov-12 23:28:46

mmm... I think too much of the Spanish coastline has been disfigured by awful buildings in cheap tourist destinations for my liking.

France does it for me though: from the rugged landscapes of Brittany to the Mediterranean coast, via the Loire chateaux and the mountains (Alps, Pyrenees, Massif Central, Jura)... I could holiday there for the rest of my life, as there are so many diverse and beautiful places to see.

Chocolatephiladelphia Sat 10-Nov-12 23:28:52

Spanish food was a real let down, not too keen on the country.
Much prefer France, in particular the Côte d'Azur.

AngryBeaver Sat 10-Nov-12 23:29:57

New Zealand, hands down. I live here and am still amazed by it's beauty. You have everything, green hills, sandy beaches, snowy mountains

nulgirl Sat 10-Nov-12 23:42:41

South Africa for me. The desert, the beautiful coastline, the amazing rugged highlands. The diversity of climate. Spent 6 weeks travelling around the whole country and fell completely in love with it.. Would love to spend more time there but think I'll have to wait until the kids are a bit older.

LessMissAbs Sun 11-Nov-12 00:03:27

Austria is more beautiful. Spain is a bit dry. I have no connections to Austria but it is breathtaking.

BandersnatchCummerbund Sun 11-Nov-12 00:17:13

I loved Spain. Seville, Granada, Cordoba... Although I also love Italy, and France. Really want to go to Krakow next.

PandorasSocks Sun 11-Nov-12 00:26:14

Spain is really beautiful. My DH is Spanish, we met there, honeymooned there, family is there, my dc are half Spanish... I'm biased grin

Sure, there are lots of beautiful places on this planet, but Spain does, IMO, take some beating. Salamanca, Toledo, Andalusia, the Sierra Nevada, Valencia! Stunning and breath-taking and gorgeous.

fragola Sun 11-Nov-12 00:46:33

Italy is more beautiful :-)

LoopyLoopsOlympicHoops Sun 11-Nov-12 00:55:36

YABU, Spain is mostly quite barren. Italy, UK, Germany, France all more beautiful IMO.

Salmotrutta Sun 11-Nov-12 00:57:48

Norway is rather stunning. And breathtaking.

As is the Algonquin region of New York state.

Tuscany is gorgeous.

The Loire Valley is very pretty.

The utterly beautiful Cote Sauvage in Brittany has crashing waves and majestic cliffs.

And my own homeland here in my part of Scotland has rugged, pretty, glorious and commanding views all within a few miles.

... I love my home.

Salmotrutta Sun 11-Nov-12 00:59:23

Oh - I forgot Portugal.

Some of the most stunning mountain countryside I have seen.

stargirl1701 Sun 11-Nov-12 01:00:35

YABU. Scotland or The Maldives.

EIizaDay Sun 11-Nov-12 01:06:09

I've lived in Spain - and many other countries and in my opinion Spain is a bit 'bleh' apart from some exceptions of course. For me, its neighbour, France, wins hands down.

I think there are so many beautiful countries in the world and you really do start to appreciate them after living in the ugly ones (I've lived in Dubai)

BewitchedBotheredandBewildered Sun 11-Nov-12 01:15:11

Kashmir or Halong Bay, Vietnam, or Burma.
Or southern Turkey.
Or the South Downs.
How can you possibly choose?
Unless based on random geographical patriotism.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now