To not buy a poppy

(493 Posts)
Hippymum89 Fri 09-Nov-12 10:38:30

Why is it more important to remember the death of a soldier who died fighting for the country (or so he believed) than the death of every other person who has died?
What about all the others who have died helping others? Were their lives less important? Or the little old lady who died in hospital at the age of 97, she didn't kill any Germans, or rescue people. She lived her life, but doesn't that count?
I think poppys glorify war and therefore murder, so I will not be buying one.

Hippymum89 Fri 09-Nov-12 10:48:52

OK, Bye then sad

Wah Wah Wah Wah Wah Wah Wah.

OK, you've got the fight you were looking for. For a pacifist thats really letting your side down.

EduCated Fri 09-Nov-12 10:49:35

Yes, because by not buying a poppy you're doing sooooo much to help/show respect for everybody else.

weeblueberry Fri 09-Nov-12 10:49:39

If you believe in honouring people who have died to secure our freedom (which is why they're different than others who have died) but don't support war, there are white poppies you can buy to show your support of this. They're not easy to come across but are considered to show as much respect as a red poppy.

twitchypalm Fri 09-Nov-12 10:49:49

There familes deserve more support as they are the ones living with the mental and physical scras of having relatives that fought for freedom of this country.

My dp was a welsh guard in the falklands conflict and lost most of his friends when the Sir galahad was hit. He has recently being diagnosed with ptsd 30 yerars after we have had to live with his problems of what he saw and expereianced there aswell as teh tours of northern Ireland that he done. People who havent had to live with it just wont understand.

I take it op your dcs enjoy frieworks my dp still can not cope with firework nosies as it causes flas backs like wise ballons popping. Have you ever had to explain to your dcs that they can't have ballons as if one pops there father goes into a panic. People like you make me sick and if it wasnt for there soldiers you wouldnt be able so spout the drivle you are.

missymoomoomee Fri 09-Nov-12 10:50:23

Hippymum89 you are currently enjoying the freedom that those soldiers fought and died for, so be a dear and take your fucking idiotic views somewhere else.

BooyhooRemembering Fri 09-Nov-12 10:50:33

"because they wouldn't have needed support had they not lost the head of their household, fighting to keep British people safe..."

erm, not all military deaths are 'heads of households'. hmm

DialsMavis Fri 09-Nov-12 10:50:39

I am about as anti war (especially regarding most of the conflicts we involve ourselves in) as you can get. I also hold some very strong views about the armed forces that it would be insensitive and distasteful for me to post here & I would get lynched. But, I still have every respect for WW2 veterans and the compassion to do something to help recent veterans in any way I can.

DesperatelySeekingSedatives Fri 09-Nov-12 10:50:41

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Feminine Fri 09-Nov-12 10:51:35

You are so talking out of your back passage op

Please do some more research.

DuelingFanjo Fri 09-Nov-12 10:53:03

YANBU because buying one isn't compulsory though some people sem to think it is. Not sure why you need to start a thread about it though.

it's not like you deliberately DON'T buy something to make a point about all the other people you could be helping. Why not just donate something to the lifeboats or your local hospital or take some nappies up to the neo natal unit, or volunteer to do some meals on wheels or something?

shesariver Fri 09-Nov-12 10:54:00

Who says its an all or nothing thing? Plenty of support and fundraising for other charities are out there so that knocks your arguement right away.

DialsMavis Fri 09-Nov-12 10:54:26

Does the £ for the white Poppy's go to the same cause though?

BooyhooRemembering Fri 09-Nov-12 10:55:52

do you know what i think it's pretty off for people to be calling OP stupid. and as for why every year? well because some people just dont know why it is important because it has never been explained to them. what's wrong with explaining your reasoning without calling someone stupid and telling them to fuck off. i get that it's an emotional subject (and yes i wear a poppy) but try looking at it from the point of view of the person who doesn't have any experience of death due to war. they may never have had any reason til now to find out why it is so important.

blueraincoat Fri 09-Nov-12 10:56:03

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

BreeVanDerTramp Fri 09-Nov-12 10:56:04

Why do they deserve it more than others who have died???

They did not die of natural causes, they died to give us the world we live in today, freedom of speech, not to be clones of each other. In my case they gave life, my grandfather was a Polish POW.

We give to Marie Currie for people with cancer, BHF, MS society - it's not the only charity in Britain hmm

Oh, and what squeaky said incase the above doesn't penetrate.

ByTheWay1 Fri 09-Nov-12 10:56:18

The reason we buy poppies is for remembrance- to remember not just the solidiers of the first world war, but the horrors that they went through FOR US - for our freedom... and it reminds us that there are still soldiers out there giving up their lives, their limbs to protect others, to maintain the freedoms of peoples all over the world it reminds us that though we would not do it - others do daily...

The British Legion spends £1 MILLION A WEEK helping armed forces dependants, veterans and those bereaved by conflict..... buying a simple poppy HELPS them and just shows that you will not forget the sacrifices made by others so that you can live the life you do today.

WorraLiberty Fri 09-Nov-12 10:57:04

BooyhooRemembering Fri 09-Nov-12 10:57:15

"Why not just donate something to the lifeboats or your local hospital or take some nappies up to the neo natal unit, or volunteer to do some meals on wheels or something? " why assume Op doesn't already?

blueraincoat Fri 09-Nov-12 10:57:55

Research is freely available for this. It isn't like the OP doesn't have internet access...

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Poppy+appeal

Diana2000 Fri 09-Nov-12 10:58:19

I am about as anti war (especially regarding most of the conflicts we involve ourselves in) as you can get. I also hold some very strong views about the armed forces that it would be insensitive and distasteful for me to post here & I would get lynched. But, I still have every respect for WW2 veterans and the compassion to do something to help recent veterans in any way I can.

Yep, same here. Although there is a part of me that feels slightly uneasy about the way Poppy Day is now becoming more about the veterans of current and recent wars (ie Afghanistan and Iraq) than remembering the conscripted soldiers of the two world wars.

I can't articulate it very well but it does feel as though wearing a poppy now is like you're showing support for the war in Afghanistan confused

Dawndonna Fri 09-Nov-12 10:58:47

Poppies do not glorify war. It's an act of rememberance. Do grow up, there's a dear.

Gigondas Fri 09-Nov-12 10:58:57

White poppies go to peace pledge union here - red ones go to British legion I think.

BooyhooRemembering Fri 09-Nov-12 10:59:23

because she's asking a specific question "why are military deaths more important than others" she want's opinions not a wikipedia entry on wht the poppy is for.

squeakytoy Fri 09-Nov-12 10:59:52

I disagree Booy. At the age of 7 or 8 I knew what poppies represented, my 6 year old granddaughter is aware of what the poppy means, so how someone old enough to post on an internet forum for adults is incapable of understanding the significance of the poppy would say to me that they are either trying to start a fight, be a shit stirrer, or is a bit thick.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now