To absolutely hate the totally misused and overused and teeth clenchy phrase.....

(85 Posts)
Back2Two Thu 08-Nov-12 17:08:16

"shabby chic"

When on ebay or gumtree or at bootfairs now everything has been listed as "shabby chic". There are whole mass produced departments in shops all "shabby chic"

For the second hand stuff it is fair to say it IS shabby. Shabby and manky. But painting something pretend farrow and ball white or grey doesn't make it chic. Then charging a ridiculous amount of money for it.

For "shabby chic" read "shit furniture painted white or grey in the hope that you are a fool and will buy it"

Same starting to go for "up-cycled"

Or AIBU?

mignonette Sun 18-Nov-12 18:04:41

I hate the phrase 'curate' regarding a person's choice of clothing, furniture, art etc.

You did not 'curate' or 'edit' what you decorated your house with. You went to a shop/website/auction and you chose and purchased the items. Your home is not a Museum and you are not a curater. Get over yourself.

greeneyed Sun 18-Nov-12 18:01:02

This is utter shite badly painted tat

YY to all the hatred of the absolutely insulting rip-off 'scabby chic' rubbish.

TOTALLY 'I saw you coming' from Harry & Paul!

Pity the brainless moronic sheep that fall for it. More money than sense.

'Pre-loved': Sounds like sloppy seconds in a manky orgy.

'Pan-fried': Apparently soooo much naicer than plain old 'fried'.

'Hand-cut sandwiches': ooh mmmmm delicious hands. confused

shriekingnora Wed 14-Nov-12 18:04:56

greeneyed that clock is hilarious. I love the way it says in the description 'decoupaged with a Cath Kidston catalogue' - really makes me want to buy it. Said no-one ever.

StellaNova Wed 14-Nov-12 17:51:47

In a cafe near me they are selling "retro" ads from the 1950s, that have basically been torn out of old magazines and framed, for £30. £30! Someone with a pile of old magazines is coining it. You can see the tear marks down the side, they ahven't even been cut out nicely.

RuleBritannia Wed 14-Nov-12 17:46:47

I never saw a clock like that and I was there. Can anyone else 'prove' that it's a 50's design? Doubt it.

BeatTheClock Wed 14-Nov-12 17:35:38

Oh god I LOVE I Saw You Coming! Reminds me of Brighton.

The difference between vintage and retro...“Vintage is old and horrible; retro is new and horrible but made to look old and horrible. But the bottom line is I get the whole lot from a car boot sale and sell it to you for a fortune.''
grin

Can we add Boho chic to the list. Hate hate it.

Feminine Wed 14-Nov-12 17:25:55

That is vile.

Like two nasty things at once!

greeneyed Wed 14-Nov-12 14:07:32

Came across another piece of utter twaddle today Click Here

Rollmops Mon 12-Nov-12 09:11:49

OP, amen to that. The sheer quantity of lovely antique furniture that gets butchered in the name of shabbiness, is heartbreaking.

drizzlecake Mon 12-Nov-12 02:37:56

I have recently been to a 'Remnants of the Past' vintage sale (about 60 stalls selling stuff) in California.

Imo the UK follows US trends so I am writing to tell you THE latest shabby chic type in thing. And it is old paintbrushes and wooden ladders. I kid you not. Wooden ladders, paint splattered, held together with a bit of rusty wire, buyers were actually asking for them. And bowls of old paintbrushes, old worn ones with worn bristles and paint spattered handles. Def the desired object of the moment.

Also I would say the shabby chic old tat painted and distressed is out and genuine quirky old stuff is in (and obviously is a bit harder to find so more in demand).

So now you know, keep your eyes peeled and get those brushes on ebay wink

Loveweekends10 Mon 12-Nov-12 01:21:51

Yes agree some of that stuff is so crap. But...dh made a lovely hall bench over summer. We upholstered it and painted it grey! And stuck a basket underneath for shoes and its the dogs bollocks. It's not shabby or chic. I would say French country house!

cheekydevil Sun 11-Nov-12 23:17:44

Wow, and I thought Halloween was over?

Feminine Sun 11-Nov-12 21:41:41

That is beyond disgusting!

greeneyed Sun 11-Nov-12 21:27:28

And this one is is scary Click Here

greeneyed Sun 11-Nov-12 20:49:27

Just come across a great upcycled listing on ebay!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cath-Kidston-Cowboy-Mug-Broken-/251180563760?pt=UK_HG_Crockery_RL&hash=item3a7b873d30

Whatnowffs Fri 09-Nov-12 17:28:51

Ive not heard curated before, wtf is that all about?

Whatnowffs Fri 09-Nov-12 17:25:07

oh and "sourced" as mentioned earlier, makes my fingernails twitch

Omg I hate the phrase shabby chic so much...although I did like Ruth Watson saying there's a fine line between shabby chic & shitty chic!

TheShriekingHarpy Fri 09-Nov-12 13:07:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

soverylucky Fri 09-Nov-12 12:02:45

I love old brown furniture. I want to weep when I see someone has taken a lovely old chest of draws, sandpapered it a bit and covered it badly in paint. I was also trying to buy a lovely tea set recently. Every charity shop I went in had incomplete sets because according to the person who worked there people like to split the set to mix and match. No it doesn't match, it looks stupid and I wanted the whole set. Gets me right proper cross.

Does anyone remember a thread simmilar to this a while back and there was a link to a piece of furniture that had wrapping paper glued to it badly for some strange "vintage, upcycled, retro, shabby chic" effect?

MerylStrop Fri 09-Nov-12 11:39:02

also "curated"

everyone's calling themselves a curator if they have thought about something for more than 5 minutes

I'm going to curate myself a fantastic sandwich for lunch in a bit.

DesperatelySeekingSedatives Fri 09-Nov-12 11:33:16

"Paint it chalky white
Stick some fairy lights on it
Add some text from a disused printer

Vintage Gold!"

Omg ItsAll you just described what DP's cousins did to their gran's huge long built in dressing table in her (massive) bathroom! So naff!

I mean it was pretty old fashioned before (think avacado coloured bathroom suite) but my god it looks tacky now!

WineGoggles Fri 09-Nov-12 10:09:19

I hate 'organic' as applied to a process (not as an adjective to describe certified organic food / produce). Bleugh.
So glad it's not just me. It's marketing BS and I hate it.

Ooh, time for a Not Remotely Steampunk link!
Ah, good old Regretsy, very funny site. Love it almost as much as "I saw you coming" - (..."Is your husband in the city?" "How much does he earn?" LOL).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now