To absolutely hate the totally misused and overused and teeth clenchy phrase.....

(85 Posts)
Back2Two Thu 08-Nov-12 17:08:16

"shabby chic"

When on ebay or gumtree or at bootfairs now everything has been listed as "shabby chic". There are whole mass produced departments in shops all "shabby chic"

For the second hand stuff it is fair to say it IS shabby. Shabby and manky. But painting something pretend farrow and ball white or grey doesn't make it chic. Then charging a ridiculous amount of money for it.

For "shabby chic" read "shit furniture painted white or grey in the hope that you are a fool and will buy it"

Same starting to go for "up-cycled"

Or AIBU?

CambridgeBlue Thu 08-Nov-12 17:53:17

Right with you on this and also my personal favourite - 'quirky'. All of these phrases are used to dress up stuff that nobody really wants by making it sound somehow appealing.

AlienRefluxovermypoppy Thu 08-Nov-12 17:54:14

Yeah, steampunk only heard it the other night, and thought WTF is that? (still not sure blush )

autumnfrost Thu 08-Nov-12 17:55:57

At least vintage furniture and such has some life about it(fleas?).Next catalogue stuff makes me squirm

AlienRefluxovermypoppy Thu 08-Nov-12 17:56:19

Pre-loved, reminds me of pre-cum,but that could be just me.

BlissfullyIgnorant Thu 08-Nov-12 17:56:26

...and anything 'vintage/classic' with a 'modern twist'
Must be bent/damaged new stuff they couldn't otherwise shift

...anything 'whimsical'
Must be appealing to mad old cat ladies

Sparklingbrook Thu 08-Nov-12 17:59:08

Also-

'Eclectic mix'-nothing matches, all looks a mess.

'Rustic'-not very good at presentation.

'Quirky'-WTF generally.

lizziebach Thu 08-Nov-12 17:59:42

and where people dont have belongings they randomly bought and plonked down where they thought they would look nice, instead they have a "curated" array of "vintage" and "retro" items carefully "displayed" on their "shabby chic" furniture. As opposed to my house where I have tat (nice tat I will point out) stuck on top of second hand furniture - wow I must be in fashion lol

Sparklingbrook Thu 08-Nov-12 18:00:23

Sorry Cambridge missed your post we are agreed on the 'quirky' though. grin

lizziebach Thu 08-Nov-12 18:00:23

Alien - steampunk is like goth but with lots of cogs and watch parts and stripes - sort of

Devora Thu 08-Nov-12 18:02:12

What IS steampunk?

yy to old tat painted white, bashed around a bit, labelled 'shabbychic' and sold at a ridiculous mark-up.

yy to old tat not painted white, labelled 'vintage' and sold at a ridiculous mark-up.

A chill goes through me whenever I see on ebay something described as 'vintage' that is 1980s. That makes ME vintage.

Steampunk is Victorian/Western sensibilities with technological additions such as pocket watches, copper accenting/piping etc. It's an offshoot of cyberpunk which was more neon and modern.

VerityClinch Thu 08-Nov-12 18:05:19
puds11 Thu 08-Nov-12 18:06:54

Yep, i call it shitty chic.

cheekydevil Thu 08-Nov-12 18:14:26
cheekydevil Thu 08-Nov-12 18:16:51

The scratches are organic, classic grin

Whatnowffs Thu 08-Nov-12 18:23:10

Its not shabby chic - it is old shit! or new shit that has been "distressed" to look like old shit. DP and I call it shabbit shit grin

Whatnowffs Thu 08-Nov-12 18:23:50

shabby not shabbit!

greeneyed Thu 08-Nov-12 18:56:49

Ooh you wouldn't like my house smile I prefer to spend what I can afford on something second hand and get a solid piece of furniture than spend the equivalent on something new but flatpacked. I have just painted and distressed an 1930s old oak chest, added new handles etc - total cost about 80 for the same price I could only have got something cheap and shit from argos whereas this looks lovely in my bedroom. If you call all afford to shop at barker and stonehouse then fair dos

Feminine Thu 08-Nov-12 19:01:29

I have a type of shabby chic going on in my home.

Shabby mixed with cottage~ its lovely!

However op I agree with you...some ebay rubbish is eye-openly vile.

My recent favourite was a 'distressed' bread bin, all different pastel colours, dirty and shoddy. Its been their weeks! grin

Feminine Thu 08-Nov-12 19:01:56

there obviously wink

MulledWineOnTheBusLady Thu 08-Nov-12 19:05:00

That's a different thing, greeneyed. Practically every stick of furniture I own is at least 80 years old.

The whole point of "vintage" stuff originally was that it was environmentally sound and saved you money. Nobody wanted "brown" furniture ten years ago - I know, because I bought a lot of it. People now who peddle fugly stuff for £000s because it's been daubed with Mouse's Arse, or (even worse) sell "vintage-style" things that have rolled off a factory line in China really get on my wick. They're totally missing the point of the thing.

AlienRefluxovermypoppy Thu 08-Nov-12 19:05:45

No, greeneyed I would love your house, as I do, in fact love the old rustic style, I hate people using the term for shit though.

yes to distressed oak smile

CambridgeBlue Thu 08-Nov-12 19:06:26

It's not that I don't like that look greeneyes, I do and I agree with everything you say about having something decent and personal rather than mass-produced tat. Not sure about anyone else but it's when any old crap is described as 'shabby chic' or 'vintage' just to try and make it sound desirable that it winds me up.

greeneyed Thu 08-Nov-12 19:19:45

Now I do agree almost every item on ebay is now vintage! And yes will confess there is a lot of shabby shit out there! I also don't like the pretend new distress furniture with machine printed scratches! I think the whole fashion for shabby chic and vintage is just a fall out from the age of austerity - trying to make the best of old crap because we can't afford new, also people will try to sell ANYTHING these days!

Back2Two Thu 08-Nov-12 20:21:12

I love lots of what has been written on this thread.

And yes, greeneyed, it's not that I don't like old, secondhand items. I do. That's why I'm on eBay, gumtree at car boots etc. looking for bargains. BUT all the terms mentioned on here are being used without any actual grounding in truth anymore. "vintage" means knackered and "shabby chic" means any old crap, painted.

I love to go to second hand furniture places and really hunt for decent furniture that needs a new home. I'm somewhat addicted to "things" and furniture.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now