To hate it when people say Pacific when they mean specific?

(72 Posts)
showtunesgirl Thu 08-Nov-12 15:56:08

Eg "what I mean in pacific" and "what do you mean pacifically"?

No, no, no!

Alisvolatpropiis Fri 09-Nov-12 00:08:49

I have reading this threat snorting (delicately,like a lady) with mirth!

A former manager used to say pacifically. As I was only 16 at the time I used to take great joy in inciting conversations in which he would be almost guaranteed to say it. He also used to call cillit bang "clit bang". The time he said it to a customer I thought I was going to wet myself laughing. He was a lovely lovely man though.

Alisvolatpropiis Fri 09-Nov-12 00:09:39

*I have read...

DameEnidsOrange Fri 09-Nov-12 00:12:15

I was appalled to hear Darcey Bussell say this on ITT tonight.

I don't know why but I assumed a top ballerina would be highly educated, so I felt ridiculously let down

Have you been watching 'Kath and Kim' ? smile

catsmother Fri 09-Nov-12 05:33:10

Ha ...... yep, heard Darcey say it too. I wasn't sure if I'd misheard or not!

Boomerwang Fri 09-Nov-12 05:54:31

I can't help but twitch whenever I hear such blips, but I let it go because it's not worth quibbling about.

Feminine Fri 09-Nov-12 07:08:55

Darcy said "pacific?"

Have never heard anyone misuse that, oddly enough.

What really sets my teeth on edge is THINK instead of THING. I have a colleague who constantly says anythink or somethink. Grrrr....

YANBU at all.

It makes me cringe.

showtunesgirl Fri 09-Nov-12 09:28:51

Noooo, did the Bussell REALLY say it? sad

DameEnidsOrange Fri 09-Nov-12 09:41:32
showtunesgirl Fri 09-Nov-12 09:51:07

Just watched it. ARGH!!!!!!

MonkeyRisotto Fri 09-Nov-12 09:56:55

Can I add people saying "mute point" ?
It's a moot point, not a mute point, mute means silent. Grr...

Listmaker Fri 09-Nov-12 10:10:58

Ooh I joined this thread SPECIFICALLY to mention Darcy Bussell and you beat me to it. At first I thought perhaps I had misheard as she's quite posh but she helpfully said it again and it was definitely Pacific. Drives me nuts too.

My DDs keep saying brang instead of brought and that is driving me insane - they have the cheek not to believe me that there is no such word as brang!!

And then the could of, would of etc....again they won't believe me that they are wrong and actually making no sense whatsoever.......angry grin

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Fri 09-Nov-12 10:15:56

DH had a colleague who in a meeting quite seriously said at one point, "Well of course it's a doggy dog world...."

Bemused looks all round.

Dog EAT dog world.

BedHog Fri 09-Nov-12 10:21:05

DP says it. Drives me mad and just makes him sound a bit thick, which he's not. He also says donkey's ears instead if donkey's years, fravourite instead of favourite and ibuprofulen instead of ibuprofen, and gets several local place names a bit wrong.

MulledWineOnTheBusLady Fri 09-Nov-12 10:22:42

grin at a doggy dog world! I hope he said it with a suitably serious expression, furrowed brow, set jaw etc

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Fri 09-Nov-12 10:31:48

Mulled oh yes full chiselled features, steely gaze etc grin - punctured somewhat when everyone fell about.

DawnOfTheDee Fri 09-Nov-12 10:32:46

I think the less people read the more likely they are to make these sort of mistakes. People mishear words that they've never seen written down, repeat the misheard pronunciation, other people hear that....and the cycle goes on and on and on.....

MonkeyRisotto Fri 09-Nov-12 10:46:23

It is how language evolves I guess. Butterfly used to be Flutterby.

FlipFlippingFlippers Fri 09-Nov-12 10:46:46

Yanbu!

my SIL always asks if she can lend some money. I always say yeah I'll have 20 quid.

She doesn't get it... hmm

Feminine Fri 09-Nov-12 10:57:19

My step-Mum again:

" I've been up and down like a horse's drawers"

Until my Dad decided to tell her it was "a whore's drawers" grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now