to think that in 2012 we are both enlightened and educated enough to tell the difference between a homosexual and a paedophile?

(258 Posts)
isupposeimabitofafraud Thu 08-Nov-12 14:38:31

Hey Mr Cameron?

Care to explain your comments on This Morning?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE67Zu9qOBw

The only thing I'm getting out of that, is his own prejudices and the whiff of a lack of leadership and yet another cover up.

If Mr Cameron wants to save his own neck and not drown in this sick sea of corruption then taking it seriously and not being dismissive of the claims and accusing people of homophobia, might be a good place to start...

Together with an overall inquiry into why there have been so many institutional failures with regard to child protection and to gather all the conclusions of the 6 million other investigations that have been started post Jimmy Savile, for their findings are scattered to the four corners of the country by the wind.

I'm fuming. I don't want crappy ill thought out warnings about a witchhunt, it wouldn't BE a witchhunt, if the government actually started to take control of the scandal and handle it properly, sensitively and starting taking it seriously rather than acting reactively.

For weeks it was obvious that the Jimmy Savile revelations were going to spread and given what the government do know, and the fact they have both the intelligence and foresight to be able to see the direction it was going to head and act accordingly. Instead they have sat on their hands and hoped it would all die down, go away and we'd all forget about it. Well I'm not forgetting about it. I want PROPER answers and an institutional change of attitude and action. Not more crap.

Isn't this exactly how we got into this mess in the first place, by officials dismissing those who did report or trying to discredit them?

Haven't they learnt ANYTHING yet?

/rant.

DuelingFanjo Thu 08-Nov-12 16:46:13

"Interestingly pop bitch has just commented that in the 80's it received many email rumours of ps being involved in a gay relationship.
How would he have liked it if his name was handed to the pm live on television on the basis of an internet search?"

My quetion would be, why on earth are Popbitch attempting to tie in the fact that some people thought PS was gay with anything that is happening now? What on earth would his gay-ness have to do with anything?

Of course, if he was a paedophile that would be different but has anyone ever suggested he is? What does being Gay have to do with anything?

Jingleflobba Thu 08-Nov-12 16:47:25

Just because David Cameron said it doesn't make it automatically wrong you know..
(Mostly he is, but not this time)

Alisvolatpropiis Thu 08-Nov-12 16:48:37

I think what Calle me Dave was saying was that these paedophiles happened,in some instances, to be gay. Or that the allegations had been brought against certain gay men and he wished to investigate further before revealing the names.

Being gay doesn't make you a paedophile. Being straight doesn't make you a paedophile. But you can have gay paedophiles just as you can have straight paedophiles.

Not usually one for defending Mr Cameron but I don't think he meant it as some have taken it.

CrikeyOHare Thu 08-Nov-12 16:52:20

Fanjo Possibly because Schofield's "in depth, investigative journalism" amounted to 3 minutes on the internet.

They are not tying in his sexuality - they are making the link between gossip about him & gossip about those politicians.

No idea about his sexuality, but Schofield is one of the rudest arseholes it has ever been my misfortune to encounter - as I did while a junior newspaper reporter.

DontmindifIdo Thu 08-Nov-12 16:55:39

I assume his comment meant that the 3 names were 3 gay tories. As I understand it, 2 of the names were visible when the paper was handed over and people have been replaying the clip to get those names.

I think that whatever you think of his politics, DC is right here, just picking a list of gay people and thinking that they must be abusers because they're different is disgusting, and if anyone has any allegations they should take them to the police. He's right, you know in this day and age the police aren't about to cover up child abuse because it was a Tory MP who did it. (even if that might have been the case 30-40 years ago).

PS should be ashamed of himself.

And can we please drop the really offensive assumption that when Tories are gay they must be having abusive sex with underaged rent boys, whereas gay men on the left are the only ones having consentual loving relationships with people of the same gender.

Mrcrumpswife Thu 08-Nov-12 17:01:39

DontmindifIdo And can we please drop the really offensive assumption that when Tories are gay they must be having abusive sex with underaged rent boys, whereas gay men on the left are the only ones having consentual loving relationships with people of the same gender.

The Labour party are being accused of far more than the Tories, the difference being the alleged man from friday was from the Tory party which is why he is constantly mentioned.

JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar Thu 08-Nov-12 17:06:27

How did popbitch receive emails in the 80s? I sent my first email in about 1994, and I was a fairly early adopter. People thought I was well modern back than confused

djelibeybi Thu 08-Nov-12 17:12:23

The very first e-mail was sent in 1971.

Nancy66 Thu 08-Nov-12 17:13:40

Popbitch wasn't around in the 80s

seeker Thu 08-Nov-12 17:14:28

Being gay doesn't make you a paedophile. Being straight doesn't make you a paedophile. But you can have gay paedophiles just as you can have straight paedophiles.

No you can't. Being gay means you are sexually attracted to adults of the same gender as you are. Being a paedophile means you are sexually attracted to children. If you are a man who is sexually attracted to boys, you are not a "gay paedophile" - you are a paedophile.

BupcakesAndCunting Thu 08-Nov-12 17:15:15

Pip Schofield is obviously imagining himself as the face of hard-hitting exposé journalism.

Think Roger Cook but with a blow-dry/tinted moisturiser.

JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar Thu 08-Nov-12 17:16:29

Well yes dje, but how many people used electronic mail in a personal capacity before the mid-90s?

I assume it's a typo and I'v ederailed the thread enough I think. Sorry blush

seeker Thu 08-Nov-12 17:18:23

Am I remembering wrong? Wasn't P Scofield prominent in the "well it was all a long time ago and things were different then?" when this story first broke?

djelibeybi Thu 08-Nov-12 17:21:29

Jenai

I used it at work in the eighties, I can't remember when I got a home account.

Popbitch wasn't around until 2000 or so.

gordyslovesheep Thu 08-Nov-12 17:22:07

Pop Bitch - has had emails suggesting that in the 80's ... it did not recieve emails IN THE 80's - hth

I dislike cameron , a well documented fact, but I think PS acted like an arse - the internet is not fact based for starters AND, sadly, I think DC has a point - many people DO think gay = peedow ...stupid people granted but there are those who think being gay is such a perversion it's an easy leap from that to having sex with children

So there needs to be some facts first - rather than rumor - gossip wont help anyone

JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar Thu 08-Nov-12 17:53:31

blush again.

Going back to what Dueling was saying, there really were and probably are people who conflated the historical abuse of rent boys with homosexuality.

I don't think anyone here is suggesting that saying 'things were different then' is anything other than being a rape apologist (are you reading, Pippy?).

TunipTheHollowVegemalLantern Thu 08-Nov-12 17:59:57

Most of the main few names of living politicians that are being circulated online are not out gay men, of course - they're married.

Jingleflobba Thu 08-Nov-12 18:02:24

crikey you're kidding, PS is horrible in real life? <goes to mourn my childhood fantasies>

God sorry, Popbitch said early 2000's don't know where I got 80's from, and as Crikey explained it's about malicious rumours on t'internet not about linking homosexuality to being a paedophile.

hiddenhome Thu 08-Nov-12 18:43:31

Paedophiles can and do have relationships with adults though - either hetero or homosexual. How many women have had their children targeted by someone who forms a relationship with them just to gain access to their child/ren?

hiddenhome Thu 08-Nov-12 18:48:05

Can someone pm me with a link to who these people are? I've searched on Google, but I can't find anything.

Netguru Thu 08-Nov-12 18:55:20

Wtf.

Seriously. What in earth makes you think that Cameron who has kids would be any less appalled by paedophillia than you or I and would cover up some soiled old paedophilliac from thirty years ago?

Instead, you can read unadulterated filth and speculation about any number of MPs where people think they may be gay and may therefore be child molesters. I read on DM comments today that 'Gordon Briwn had been a suspect in a child rape and the police hushed it up'. Rubbish - unadulterated rubbish.

MPs have got themselves a bad rep since the expenses scandle and rightly so. That does not make them all either child molesters or content to cover for child molesters. Think about it - it needs just one to speak out - police, MP, minister (of both parties). Do you really really think the country has gone so low as to not have anyone, man or woman,who would yell? Or does that just derail spite and gossip.

djelibeybi Thu 08-Nov-12 19:08:00

...Do you really really think the country has gone so low as to not have anyone, man or woman,who would yell?...

Nobody yelled about Jimmy Savile. The kids who reported him were punished.

Mrcrumpswife Thu 08-Nov-12 19:11:34

Channel 4 news is absolutely horrifying. What they have hidden is unbelievable.

kim147 Thu 08-Nov-12 19:17:59

I do worry that there will be a lot of speculation about people who are completely innocent but stand out for some reason. And a lot of being assumed to be guilty and having to prove innocence.

I can see what Cameron was trying to say - I'd assume some people on that list are gay and some people in the internet are trying to link them to being a paedophile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now