Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think if they are taking MY child benefit away the letter should come to ME?

(130 Posts)
PanicMode Thu 08-Nov-12 08:13:11

I don't want to start another debate about the fact CB is going - it IS going to hurt us as we have four children, but we'll have to live without it!

However, I am so cross that although the CB comes directly to me, the letter has gone to my husband. AIBU to feel as though the Govt have turned 50 years of feminism on its head and turned me back into a chattel?!

JackThePumpkinKing Sat 10-Nov-12 00:39:25

It's all bullshit.

I live near Cameron. WHen should I start camping/campaigning outside his house.

Ugghh... I am so fucking angry about alll of this. Like I said earlier, it would be reasonable if it saved money. There is no way on this earth that this is a good idea.

Fuck you, Ham Face Cameron. You utter TOOL.

ByTheWay1 Sat 10-Nov-12 08:14:15

If you have simple tax affairs - PAYE and a bit of savings say - it really is VERY, VERY simple to do a tax return.. the government is hoping people will just drop the CB through feeling overwhelmed, but I have done them in the past and really had no trouble at all...

Elegantlywasted Sat 10-Nov-12 08:31:27

Filled in form online to stop CB, was sent an email back saying thanks and we'll try and stop paying it from January. I've given them two months notice and they can't even be sure that they can stop it in their timescales that they have set! Shall be annoyed if have to complete SA due to them not being able to met their deadlines.

princessnumber2 Sat 10-Nov-12 08:35:30

We haven't had a letter yet. I claim cb. DH will have to pay it all back as he's over 60k. I think it's unfair that they don't assess household income but whatever.

My question is, do they take the total amount of cb off high earner's gross income? And doesn't this mean the household is better off claiming as the household isn't paying tax on that bit of income?

CarolynKnappShappey Sat 10-Nov-12 08:44:26

Agree with BTW, doing an online tax assessment is absolutely worthwhile if you're in the mid-50s - it's about an hour's work, tops, including registering and finding where you put the papers, so well worth it for a few hundred quid.
And if there is any uncertainty at all about the higher earner's job security, or health, then also best to carry on claiming and repaying in arrears rather than try and get back in the system later.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now