to think if they are taking MY child benefit away the letter should come to ME?

(130 Posts)
PanicMode Thu 08-Nov-12 08:13:11

I don't want to start another debate about the fact CB is going - it IS going to hurt us as we have four children, but we'll have to live without it!

However, I am so cross that although the CB comes directly to me, the letter has gone to my husband. AIBU to feel as though the Govt have turned 50 years of feminism on its head and turned me back into a chattel?!

hang on, am I right in thinking you have to continue to claim it and complete a self assessment tax return? That's crap.

So are't they going to have to put more staff on the helplines to cope with the influx of people who won't have a clue what they're doing??

PanicMode Thu 08-Nov-12 20:45:45

It's not my DH who is losing out - it's our household. As we have four children, it's worth almost £250 a month, which is about £5k before tax - a not inconsiderable amount. It's not 'his' money or 'my' money but 'our' money - and in fact in this case it goes straight into the children - clothes, books, shoes etc.

I'm obviously in the minority of women on here who think that it's now ok that the independence that women fought so hard for, in terms of their own tax affairs, has now been lost again.....

kinkyfuckery Thu 08-Nov-12 20:50:29

Jesus fucking Christ, talk about making mountains into molehills!

presumably you prefer to not be treated as an equal partner

catgirl1976 Thu 08-Nov-12 20:56:48

But.........if you consider the CB to be "household" income and not "your" money, why start a thread stating you consider it firmly to be "yours"? confused

They wrote to me about my tax affairs. They wrote to your DH about his.

Doesn't sound sexist to me. Just sensible.

lisaro I'm not holding them accountable, I'm stating a fact. The claim pack was given to me in hospital, I never mentioned it, he never really knew about it. That's all.

sweetkitty Thu 08-Nov-12 21:22:48

Panic mode - I feel the exact same, 4 DC nearly £250 a month, 5K loss before tax, given that DH hasn't had a pay rise in 2 years, not likely to get one this year either, we will feel it too.

The whole almost 100K family income thing v 60K single income thing really annoys me plus all the self employed people who can just "hide" earnings and still get it on way above 60K.

NewRowSees Thu 08-Nov-12 21:22:58

Maybe yours is in the post? We both got one in my house, only DP got his a day before me. The CB payments currently go into my account, so I was initially a bit confused, but seems like all is well.

ceeveebee Thu 08-Nov-12 21:47:50

Exactly catgirl.
OP, which is it - your money or household money?

DH recieved his today. He doesn't understand (and neither do I)how legally that if I have claimed a benefit without his agreement or signature and only I have the power to cancel the benefit, he is taxed for it? He cannot control my finances, but my actions control his?

FourthTimeAround Thu 08-Nov-12 22:33:54

sweetkitty

I'm with you on this one. It's sh*t on stilts, it really is. What makes me laugh is the government bangs on about people living off the state and then punishes working people by increasing their tax, so disincentivising middle earners from working

FourthTimeAround Thu 08-Nov-12 22:35:00

Another good point! Think I'd better go and open that flipping brown envelope!

KatAndKit Thu 08-Nov-12 22:52:10

onelittleclara I agree with you about that. the problem with this benefit reform is that is totally erodes the principle of a couple's tax affairs being separate.

PanicMode Fri 09-Nov-12 06:03:34

Onelittleclara bangs the nail on the head.

I claim the benefit but I choose to put it straight into the household pot. I don't see that as being particularly relevant for the purposes of my rant. I am just very angry at how cack handedly this very unfair withdrawal of CB is happening and especially as the Govt made a promise not to touch it before the last election. If I thought it was going to save money I'd be more forgiving but I suspect it's going to cost far more to take it away than will be saved.

I am obviously BU/irrational though considering the responses!

3bunnies Fri 09-Nov-12 07:04:21

So are the letters coming in the brown envelopes? dh doesn't believe in opening post as most of his is junk, I deal with the finances . Not had one yet. Dh is due an increment in jan, which might put him over but depends on pension etc coming out. If it is just a few pounds over we would probably increase his pension / he'll take a week's parental leave so don't have the hassle of tax return, but how will we know this until the end of the tax year? If we are over likely to be a few pounds rather than a few thousand so easier on us and probably HMRC to reduce income than faff with forms etc. Never had to do a tax return and would rather not have the hassle for a few pounds. Different if he gets a pay rise, but not likely on the NHS.

3bunnies Fri 09-Nov-12 08:09:43

Managed to get dh's pay slip, looks as if after pension we are about 5000 under, so no brown envelopes yet!

JakeBullet Fri 09-Nov-12 08:16:14

Apologies if this had already been asked but how do they know who lives with who if you are not married for example?
Surely they can't know that Mr Jones lives with Miss Smith and they have 3 children together and as he earns £51k then Miss Smith loses all her CB.
Or can they only be sure about married couples?
Am I asking a really stupid question?

KatAndKit Fri 09-Nov-12 08:17:32

I had a baby this year and although the child benefit is claimed in my name it did ask me for my partners details including NI number on the application form. Presumably not telling the truth about this would be benefit fraud.

CarolynKnappShappey Fri 09-Nov-12 08:24:36

It is up to you to tell them Jake - but if you don't, and they find out (not too tricky since they have your addresses) then you'll get fined.

But they presumably do know, as the envelopes are coming out!
I don't understand about the self assessment stuff, will every PAYE person also have to do one now if they have to have the CB element taken back?

suchnonsense Fri 09-Nov-12 08:29:02

So, in our house I'm the higher earner and also I'm the one who claims CB, but only DH got the letter. How does that make sense?? Are they assuming that the "man of the house" must be the higher earner? Makes no practical difference as it all goes into one pot, but I'm a bit confused by the logic of this. Ironically, DH rarely opens his post so I'll end up sorting it out anyway.

Yes, that makes me angry. Why have they sent it to your DH?

ByTheWay1 Fri 09-Nov-12 08:34:37

Everyone who earns over £50k at an address where child benefit is claimed will receive the letter.

So if your childless lodger/flatmate earns over £50k and you claim CB they will get a letter even though unrelated to you/your child... they would do nothing as indicated in the letter - If later it is found that the lodger "lives" with you not merely resides there, they would be done for fraud.

ah thanks BTW
such's case makes no sense though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now