Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think the new ASDA advert is the biggest pile of sexist crap in a long time

(1000 Posts)
MaureenLove Mon 05-Nov-12 11:52:15

to think its trying to APPEAL to women? dur!

MaureenLove Mon 05-Nov-12 13:49:24

The women on here who see it as their family need to take a long look at themselves realise that when the shit hits the fan and you cant do it ( for whatever reason) you'll have some emasculated wimp at home unable to cook as " the wife wouldn't let me" and your children will STILL see it as a womans job to be primary carer.

MaureenLove Mon 05-Nov-12 13:49:46

maybe its the asda shoppers who aspire to be drudges squoosh

JugglingWithPossibilities Mon 05-Nov-12 13:50:48

I think Christmas is actually way worse than that in many homes sad

Especially ones where the DH is such a lazy arse - And the family dynamics are so crap.

MaureenLove Mon 05-Nov-12 13:51:30

Isabelle - an advert that endorses sexist attitudes shouldn't be allowed even if "life is like that" for some.

you wouldn't allow lazy racial steroptypes ( ie black men are good dancers) as some of them might do a snazzy Cha cha cha

shriekingnora Mon 05-Nov-12 13:52:34

This has just happened to a friend of mine - went in to hospital for an op, her Dh is completely unable to cook or organise the kids and she ended up having friends take food round every day while she recovered.

cerealqueen Mon 05-Nov-12 13:54:44

I don't want to be that person and even worse, don't want DP and the Dc thinking it will all be down to me and that I'm not up to scratch unless I do all that.
Thing is, I can see that it will be down to me, or things just don't happen.

Crock of shite, whatever way you look at it.

cerealqueen Mon 05-Nov-12 13:55:04

I don't want to be that person and even worse, don't want DP and the Dc thinking it will all be down to me and that I'm not up to scratch unless I do all that.
Thing is, I can see that it will be down to me, or things just don't happen.

cerealqueen Mon 05-Nov-12 13:55:35

Thing is, I can see that it will be down to me, or things just don't happen. sad.

cerealqueen Mon 05-Nov-12 13:56:31

oops, kept getting gobbledygook when tried to post! Oh well, so good I said it thrice!

ForFoxsGlacierMints Mon 05-Nov-12 13:56:46

Ha! I liked the advert and am also a drudge!

Turns out I LOVE being a drudge, who knew?!

Thing is I'm happy as are my family so it works for us.

Big Fail on the part of ASDA to come up with such unmitigated shite.

However, this is not the only crap ad out there. Have any of you yet seen the Tescos ad featuring the woman in one of their stores and the Furby which is singing along to Hello by Lionel Ritchie?.

bigkidsdidit Mon 05-Nov-12 13:59:32

It gave me RAGE

People saying 'thats what life is like' should a) take a look at themselves and their family and b) realise that adverts are meant to be aspirational, not depressing

Procrastinating Mon 05-Nov-12 13:59:45

God that woman's life is awful.

MaureenLove Mon 05-Nov-12 14:00:41

the women who love it are martyrs.
they will be on here in a few years time when their kids are teenagers moaning about being everyones slave

KenLeeeeeee Mon 05-Nov-12 14:02:16

Now hang on, the singing Furby is a genius piece of marketing.

rainonmyparade Mon 05-Nov-12 14:02:58

My DH doesn't have a lazy bone in his body. I love preparing for Christmas. It's my favourite time of the year actually. Yes, it's really busy, but I love it.

We have clearly defined roles in our family unit. It works really well for us. Everybody's happy.

Please don't feel angry on my behalf.

kerala Mon 05-Nov-12 14:03:05

Agree so much sexist shit on TV. Was channel flicking last night and happened upon Mock the Week had never seen it before. Basically it seemed to be 6 men making grim misogynistic jokes - I felt really uncomfortable witnessing it in my own sitting room - if I had been sitting in a pub next to such people I would have moved. One guy (deeply unattractive) did a bit about how men didnt fancy strong women only fancying those who were messed up by their fathers as they were "dirtier in bed". Then went on to say how he felt watching the womens 100 metres "do her, never, maybe from behind". Bloody awful and it was only about 9pm. No wonder teenage girls struggle if this vileness is promoted as the norm sad. Couldnt help but think if such "jokes" were made about people of a particular colour or race it wouldnt (rightly) be allowed on TV but women are fair game. Sorry rant over!

TheOriginalSteamingNit Mon 05-Nov-12 14:03:29

Jesus christ, and she doesn't even have a proper chair at lunch time!

That advert is abominable.

amy175 Mon 05-Nov-12 14:04:03

thats tesco!

MaureenLove Mon 05-Nov-12 14:04:16

theres a difference between loving it and being someones drudge

Talking of crap ads, how about this one by Tescos:-

www.youtube.com/watch?v=kflVxz4ZGqg

You will be seeing more of it no doubt in the run up to the Festive Season.

ForFoxsGlacierMints Mon 05-Nov-12 14:04:51

How are you being a martyr to do stuff you enjoy?! Without any "oh woe is me.."

You can still do Christmas and run a house without being a slave. I don't think thats what the advert shows, it's only showing it from the mum's perspective - the DC's/DH may have been busy with other stuff.

Is it not depressing to overthink everything?

MaureenLove Mon 05-Nov-12 14:05:50

i odnt mind the furby one but i would SO SO LOVE someone to change it to a big pink dildo

ForFoxsGlacierMints Mon 05-Nov-12 14:06:11

Sorry - x-posted!

squoosh Mon 05-Nov-12 14:06:25

It's hardly overthinking if it's already been thought out by Saatchi and Saatchi and the Asda Executives on our behalfs confused

This thread is not accepting new messages.