what do you remember most about weddings

(72 Posts)
Bumblequeen Mon 05-Nov-12 09:42:48

My friend is planning her wedding and due to inviting a large number of guests is planning a hot buffet rather than a sit down meal. She is worried guests will comment that it is not classy enough.

I have assured her that guests care about food, drink and how beautiful the bride looks.

FlobbadobbaBOO Mon 05-Nov-12 09:46:10

Tell her to go for it. We had a carvery and everyone loved it. People remember the food and whetherntheymcould relax and have a good time! If the guests go home feeling full and happy they will remember it as a good wedding. smile

Trills Mon 05-Nov-12 09:46:39

Things that I am likely to remember in a less-than-fond manner:

Limited booze, and then the booze you buy being very expensive (I don't mind paying, I do mind it being £5 a drink)
Inconvenient location - especially if church and reception are far away from each other and far away from anywhere to stay.
Over-enthusiastic ceilidh leader people physically trying to drag me onto the dance floor.
Standing around a lot, especially if outside and cold and no idea when we will be let inside again.

FlobbadobbaBOO Mon 05-Nov-12 09:46:51

whether they could relax! Eating breakfast and typing doesn't agree with me!

sashh Mon 05-Nov-12 09:47:33

Every sit down wedding meal I have had has been so so at best.

Buffets however are usually good.

squeakytoy Mon 05-Nov-12 09:47:34

I would say most people would prefer the choice of a good hot buffet than a more formal sit down meal.

Longdistance Mon 05-Nov-12 09:50:36

As long as there is good food, and booze, then no one should complain. Doesn't matter how its served, as long as there s hearty food to soak up the booze, then all's well smile

foslady Mon 05-Nov-12 09:50:37

Assure her that the only reason people may comment is if they are kept waiting for it for 3 chuffin hours with no other form of food and crammed in a tiny room just so the bride and groom can spend the aformentioned 3 hours having 'arty' photo taken.........(can you tell I still have a bad memory of this too many years later coping with a toddler on my own who I fed a complete emergency snack pack to and then wasn't too bothered about the food that I kept holding off from giving her because 'Oh we're nearly finished.......', never mind I had to miss my food because she was as grumpy as hell so by 9.30pm I'd only had a sausage sarnie all day........ and breathe!!!!!!!)

mrskeithrichards Mon 05-Nov-12 09:52:39

The amount of booze available and the price of booze at the bar.

Latara Mon 05-Nov-12 09:54:15

I remember the dresses (sigh) but i love clothes & fashion...

Also if it was a good party; & if the vows made me feel tearful (sad i know).

The negative stuff is:
if there are boring waits without food / drink (eg. photos being taken should be accompanied by mini (non messy) canapes & drinks.
& if the actual wedding ceremony is too long (eg. a long Church service).
& if other people attending are unfriendly / snobby.

Buffets are good.

Buffets are good - especially if it's organized so there's more than one place to queue!

Things I remember in a bad way:

- Buffet when 100 people have to queue one by one, so by the time you get there it's cold and there's nothing much left.
- Not enough veggie options (because obviously people will take the veggie option just because they fancy it sometimes, so you have to over-cater)
- Bride and groom asking/hinting for money
- Venues that are freezing/boiling/in some other way utterly uncomfortable

Basically, if it is obvious the bride/groom don't give a shit about their guests, it shows, and it is annoying. The fact your mate is giving some thought to what people will like suggests she is not in this category! Buffets are great for getting people up and mingling or moving about, and very friendly, so I think people will like it.

Icanhasnickname Mon 05-Nov-12 09:54:38

Buffets win with me every time! This way, the veggies are happy, fussy eaters like me are happy (i can cherry pick things i like, and bypass the other stuff)...if you are hungry you can fill up (unlike the sparse offerings most sit down caterers offer). Plus, people get food at the same time ish....ive had to politely leave my meal to go cold whilst one table member waited an age to be noiced and served.

freddiefrog Mon 05-Nov-12 09:57:06

Every sit down wedding meal I have had has been so so at best

Yes, same here. We've been to weddings where the food has ranged from fancy schmancy to a traditional roast dinner, and they've always been OK, never anything amazing. I think I'd prefer a good hot buffet

We had a hog roast and a very relaxed wedding, but every one had a good time

As long as the food is good, the company is fun, and the booze is freely flowing and not ridiculously expensive I have a good time, I don't really care how the food is served

LaCiccolina Mon 05-Nov-12 09:57:24

Having done 150 as sit down I'd go for buffet defo! Luke warm food, long waits, dodgy silver service. Buffet also different and means guests can pls tgemselves. Go For it!!!

Do not let the best man ramble on for 45 mins when doing his speech, the only reason he stopped was because people walked out. (Most memorable worst thing, not my wedding)
Good food and plenty of it, most guest won't have eaten since breakfast do by mid afternoon are starving, (same wedding as above, hardly any food, speeches that went on forever in the middle of the meal and evening buffet crap and not enough to feed a mouse)

Jins Mon 05-Nov-12 10:40:08

Buffets are much better than sit down meals in my view as long as the queue is controlled. Sit down meals take up far too much time which could be spent dancing, mingling and generally having fun

MamaBear17 Mon 05-Nov-12 10:46:05

I always think that everyone who is invited should be there to celebrate with the bride and groom rather than get all 'Four Weddings' and judgemental about it. I always remember the dress - every bride looks gorgeous even if the dress isn't to my personal taste. The other thing is the entertainment - from cheesy disco to a 7 piece band with rat pack tribute, I love having a good boogie and a giggle! x

Meglet Mon 05-Nov-12 10:56:30

Second the comment about there being enough veggie food. Unless you can somehow ban meat eaters from touching it then you have to over-cater for them. I've gone hungry as everyone has snaffled the veggie bits as they 'fancied it'.

Cosy venue. Not in the middle of nowhere so people have the faff of dealing with taxi's.

WelshMaenad Mon 05-Nov-12 11:04:04

Tbh as long as the food is plentiful and tasty I don't care how it's served.

I got married three years ago and when commenting in my wedding people mention three things: the food was nice, there was lots of free wine, and I had a massive grin on my chops for the entire event.

DeWe Mon 05-Nov-12 11:04:39

The only weddings where I remember the food was one where there was a hog roast, and the groom put on an apron and carved himself until his mum took it off him. grin
And my bil who fitted so many people round the table that you couldn't really use knife and fork without elbowing the person next to you, and the caterers served with a splat-including pavlova which looked like it had been not very carefully stirred. Actually it's more the looks on everyone else's face as they observed said pavlova I remember. I suspect that is what most people remember of that wedding.

maybenow Mon 05-Nov-12 11:06:36

with a hot buffet the only concern for guests is if there's enough food, and if they don't have to queue for too long and then if they can get a seat to sit and eat in a relaxed way.

The only food I can specifically remember from a wedding is rolls and square sausage in the evening at a wedding (a few hours after the main meal and well into a ceilidh). The rolls were very welcome and it was a brilliant addition to the evening.

HecatePhosphorus Mon 05-Nov-12 11:11:20

Nothing.

I've been to a few, I can't remember much about them at all.

Is it just me? Am I horrible? blush I just think weddings are far more memorable to the bride and groom than the guests.

I mean, I'm sure I had fun on the day, but it's just faded now to oh yes, I went to X's wedding...

god, I do sound awful blush

LadyFlumpalot Mon 05-Nov-12 11:13:25

My wedding is not going to be a typical wedding. It's basically going to be one massive piss up with a huge hog roast and a dozen cider kegs. There will be no too table, and no seating plans. There will be a marquee with lots of little round tables were people can just sit and eat with whom they want, when they want.

This is how all the best weddings I have been to have been done.

DinosaursOnASpaceship Mon 05-Nov-12 11:13:39

Nothing really unless something stands out for being crappy.

Like being starving and waiting around for the buffett
Crap buffets
Cold reception rooms
Waiting around in general.

I'm happy as long as I'm warm, fed and have somewhere to sit down if waiting for stuff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now