To be loving the Liz Jone and India Knight Feud?

(753 Posts)
Vagabond Tue 30-Oct-12 20:45:47

www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2220669/Spouting-filth-s-VERY-strange-way-stick-free-speech.html

In which, middle class India Knight called la Liz everything under the sun on her nasty twitter diatribe of nonsense.

Schadenfreude, I know.

anniewoo Wed 31-Oct-12 14:51:31

I got India Knight mixed up with India Hicks years ago when reading her column. blush
Not a fan of Liz Jones but those tweets were nasty. India Knight has gone down in my estimation.
India Knight's book Comfort and Joy was really disappointing

fridgepants Wed 31-Oct-12 14:52:03

The thing that pissed me off about MLOAP - ~I got it out of the library when I was a student - is that, from memory, she spends the book complaining about being large, then when her husband (?) suggests she goes to Evans/is a size 16 she has a go at him. You can't be hideously fat if you still fit into Topshop's size range.

The only other thing I remember, ten years on, were the character's complaints about not having spent over £100 on a dress in ages. As we hadn't then learned to say, lol.

fridgepants Wed 31-Oct-12 14:53:09

NB I also read Notting Hell, but that was in full knowledge that it would annoy me. I have low blood pressure, sometimes it's necessary to wind oneself up.

TeentheBean Wed 31-Oct-12 14:54:08

Oh by the 'eck, Liz Jones is always pouring out some bile in the Daily Fail paper, I try to avoid any of her spoutings. Having glanced over this latest spat, India Knight doesn't seem to be a very nice lady, insult to a lady to even call her one. I had the misfortune to borrow her book Comfort and Joy from the library, kept reading in the hope it would get better, sadly it didn't.

BupcakesAndHaunting Wed 31-Oct-12 15:27:03

Who is Michaela Sheen? I want to buy her a large drink.

LizLem0n Wed 31-Oct-12 15:37:36

I'[d be a bit if I were her though! she must be brave.

stclemens Wed 31-Oct-12 15:52:43

Comfort and Joy was a load of rubbish - instant remainder territory. Truly truly awful, she deserves never to get another book contract again.

hackmum Wed 31-Oct-12 17:21:41

Liz Jones is terribly self-absorbed and unlikeable, but it also seems obvious (to me at any rate) that she has some kind of mental disorder, so I do feel sorry for her, and don't think she deserves to have that kind of abuse hurled at her.

Have never been a fan of India Knight. I used to read her Observer column, and then her Sunday Times column, until I'd had enough. I was quite shocked on a couple of occasions to read articles where she'd said it was OK to smoke and drink in pregnancy - after all, our mothers did, and it didn't do their children any harm (an assertion quickly disproved if you google stats on the decline in neonatal mortality). She once said that if you smoked, it supposedly made your babies smaller, but she'd smoked and both her babies (this was before the third) had been over 8lb, so it was just as well she had smoked, otherwise they'd have been enormous. She also said that she didn't breastfeed as it made her feel like an animal.

This wouldn't have been quite so bad if she hadn't written a number of other columns attacking mothers who give their children junk food, because they were irresponsible.

I feel quite strongly that newspapers should refuse to publish articles stating things like "it's fine to smoke during pregnancy", which is so clearly untrue - as CP Scott famously said, comment is free, but facts are sacred.

JamieandtheMagicTorch Wed 31-Oct-12 17:27:42

Oh dear.

I don't spout bitchy crap like these two even though i have my mn cloak of anonymity. Very sad, very childish.

TheBigJessie Wed 31-Oct-12 18:22:35

<From beneath tinfoik hat>

It's a conspiracy, to keep the urban myth of Liz Jones' existence going. If another well-known journalist is nasty to her on twitter, it buoys it all up.

I see an MNer has already claimed to have met LJ in this thread. That MNer is obviously a plant! No, not a herbaceous plant. She's a (fifth) columnist working in our midst!

<Wonders whether this post is funny to readers without a tinfoil hat>

In event of boredom occasioned by this post, add tinfoil flavouring to taste.

Londonista1975 Wed 31-Oct-12 19:38:52

God, yes, Comfort and Joy was a pile of crap. Most of the Amazon reviews deservedly slated it.

She was saying on Twitter earlier that she's doing a web chat here soon, which will be interesting.

Better shut up now as who knows what could happen next time I'm sauntering around Primrose Hill...

cornflowers Wed 31-Oct-12 20:08:43

IK's Wiki entry is a hoot, she's clearly composed it herself. I particularly enjoyed the biographical detail stressing presumably tenuous links to 'notable' historical figures.
"India Knight was born to Sabiha Rumani Malik (of a family related to Maulana Abul Kalam Azad, one of the foremost leaders of the Indian freedom struggle and a renowned scholar, and poet). India’s mother was 17 years old at the time of her birth and married to Michel Aertsens 20 years her senior (and the son of First World War hero Gaston Aertsens and Marie-Louise Lacroix of the family of Belgian statesman Henri Jaspar). "

cocolepew Wed 31-Oct-12 20:13:39

A web chat? Blimey she's brave.

LucyGoose Wed 31-Oct-12 20:19:51

Whoever can find out IK's real name get a star and an opened bag of halloween candy :P

squoosh Wed 31-Oct-12 20:23:09

She's obviously quick to anger, not sure if a live MN webchat is the best idea!

cocolepew Wed 31-Oct-12 20:29:02

Lucy, her name is Giselle. Like the supermodel.

She's done a webchat, maybe two. One last Christmasish.

ThePathanKhansWitch Wed 31-Oct-12 20:36:12

Didn,t IK use horrible disabilist language in one of her books? Although I understand she does great work around the syndrome her child has.

Horrible tweets though and I'm no fan of moaning Minnie Liz.

Londonista1975 Wed 31-Oct-12 20:36:25

Oh and Sali Hughes, if you're reading this, disagreeing with Miss India does not make us trolls, got that?

BupcakesAndHaunting Wed 31-Oct-12 20:42:38

"Lucy, her name is Giselle. Like the supermodel."

She has many things in common with Gisele the supermodel.

They both have arms and legs. And hair. And some eyes. And errrr....

Gisele and India can both do walking. And are ladies.
Erm......they can prolly both name all the days of the week.
Am stuck for more.

cocolepew Wed 31-Oct-12 20:48:46

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

TheCrackFox Wed 31-Oct-12 20:51:17

I once read on Mumsnet (so it must be true) that the name Giselle, in France, is like being called Doreen.

BupcakesAndHaunting Wed 31-Oct-12 20:53:07

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

BupcakesAndHaunting Wed 31-Oct-12 20:54:12

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now